Dole Whips - What the Heck are they? And would it help DLP?

Started by DisneyManiac, August 22, 2014, 03:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyManiac

They sound nice, they look nice, but what are they???

I personally have never been to America so I was wondering what they are, could someone help?

danogian

Previous Visits:
Oct 2011 - Santa Fé - 3 nights
Oct 2012 - Cheyenne - 3 nights
Apr 2014 - Sequoia Lodge - 4 nights
Jun 2015 - Sequoia Lodge (GFC) - 4 nights

DisneyManiac

DisneyRon

Looks like they're pineapple ice-cream sundaes or something. :) Certainly looks yummy.

Judging by the ingredient list I'd hardly call it ice-cream (there's hardly any dairy in there), but it probably tastes great.

DisneyManiac

Quote from: DisneyRon on August 22, 2014, 04:50:32 PM
Looks like they're pineapple icecream sundaes or something. :) Certainly looks yummy.

Do you not know what they are either? They do sound nice!

DisneyRon

Quote from: DisneyManiac on August 22, 2014, 04:52:41 PM
Quote from: DisneyRon on August 22, 2014, 04:50:32 PM
Looks like they're pineapple icecream sundaes or something. :) Certainly looks yummy.

Do you not know what they are either? They do sound nice!

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Dole_Whip is where I got my info, haven't been to WDW before, or the USA for that matter, so I'm not familiar with them. Looks like it's fastfood though, getting a proper pineapple ice-cream float (on pineapple juice) from a proper ice-cream parlour or something would probably be superior in taste.

Soap

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

bad-pink-tink

Dole are a California based fruit company who sell among things pineapple juice and tinned pineapple. In Disneyland California they sponsor The Tiki Room attraction, which is a Hawaiian themed animal animatronic show. Dole whips are sold at the Tiki Room only. They are like a pineapple flavoured frozen yogurt and are very very popular. Very often, especially in the summer when temperatures can reach 40 + c you could wait over 30 minutes to get served.

As Disneyland Paris doesn't have the Tiki Room attraction, and Dole are an American company, it is very doubtful that Dole whips will ever be onsale in DLP.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

jimtrim

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on August 22, 2014, 08:05:49 PM

As Disneyland Paris doesn't have the Tiki Room attraction, and Dole are an American company, it is very doubtful that Dole whips will ever be onsale in DLP.

Still, I think it would be nice for there to be some kind of fresh ice-cream seller in Disney around the park.I think once I did see a white can/ vehicle in the studios and someone selling ice creams from there, but they were the usual cornetto/ twister/ solero options. The only decent place is Gibson Girl, but even they sell häagen-dazs (i think?).... and if you've got a nut allergy, you're a bit stuck as they always have a nut ice-cream amongst the options.

They need a good fresh dairy ice-cream seller (or a few!) around the park offering just simple vanilla, strawberry or chocolate ice-cream. That would be a great themed element (if they had costumes and a small vehicle...)

Having said that, there's only a few months when it's really sunny... so maybe wouldn't be worth their time to set up?

....just found the truck - does anyone know what they sell - looks like magnum's?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ice+cream+seller+disney+studios+paris&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zmj4U4PXIoWb1AWZwYCgDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1097&bih=555#q=walt+disney+studios+paris+ice+cream&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

..scroll down a bit and you can see another fresh dairy ice-cream in basket with cherry offered at WDW....

... drawing by day, dreaming by night, Disney fan all the time!:)
http://www.jimtrim.co.uk/

DisneyRon

Well, maybe they could get Australian (a Dutch company, regardless of the name) to set up shop, they make some of the best fruit-based sorbet and dairy ice-cream I've ever tasted, and would be a welcome addition to the stuff available in the park. ;D

jimtrim

Yes, that looks like a nice brand  ;) I'm sure we can take you're word for it ;D - write a letter to Gas!

(... but that said, that's probably a bit too expensive for DLP :)

DisneyRon

Quote from: jimtrim on August 23, 2014, 02:47:40 PM
Yes, that looks like a nice brand  ;) I'm sure we can take you're word for it ;D - write a letter to Gas!

(... but that said, that's probably a bit too expensive for DLP :)

Quality does come at a price, yes. A lot of fresh fruit is required for the ice-cream, which drives up the price quite a bit.

jimtrim

Well, considering it took them about 15 years to put an apple on park snack vendors' menus, I don't think fresh fruit ice cream will be happening soon! :)

Probably more a case of the cheap tinned stuff they serve at the breakfast buffet's!  :'(

But all considered, they are getting a Michelin star chef into the DLH in the next year or two, right?

DisneyRon

Quote from: jimtrim on August 23, 2014, 03:54:28 PM
Well, considering it took them about 15 years to put an apple on park snack vendors' menus, I don't think fresh fruit ice cream will be happening soon! :)

Probably more a case of the cheap tinned stuff they serve at the breakfast buffet's!  :'(

But all considered, they are getting a Michelin star chef into the DLH in the next year or two, right?

Wouldn't surprise me for the California Grill if I'm honest, it is a rather high-end restaurant as it is.
Beefing up its reputation with a Michelin level chef would be a nice move, if quite costly.