Newport bay and dressing up

Started by Lucylouby, January 24, 2014, 11:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucylouby

Hi, we are booked to go to disney in may, staying in the Newport bay.  I didn't realise it was being refurbished or that the pool would be closed until further notice until I read on here just.  Also the two restaurants at the hotel are clod when we go, the yacht club is closed until August and cape cod is shut beten march and July.  We really enjoyed the food at cape cod last time.  When we booked last year nothing was mentioned about it so I'm feeling a bit miffed about it.  I doubt we would even be able to swop hotels now as we need a five person room and I was told these are like gold dust at disney.  Where are they going to serve breakfast if their restaurants are both closed.  Surely they do not expect us to trek to another hotel first thing in the morning to eat? Does anyone have any ideas about their plans for serving breakfast?

Anyway, it has just occurred to me that when we went to disney in 2010 the children dressed up.  My daughter went as a princess and my son as woody.  We are going for longer this time, so will take them two outfits each.  The girls are easy, there are so many princess dresses to choose from, but I can't think of any boy characters apart from buzz and woody that I could dress my son in.  Can anyone give me some ideas about what 6 year old lads dress up as at dlrp.
Thank you
:)

polar vixen

Cars costumes are fairly easy to come by, also Sully costumes are available in places

dhidra

Ive seen nice jake and the never land pirates costumes. or for older kids, they could be jack sparrow.

Re the hotel, I'd be fairly miffed that both restaurants AND the pool are closed. although maybe you got a cheaper price because of it?
I'd definitely email or phone reservations to see if you can be changed.
1st visit - May 1992 - Hotel Santa Fe - age 9!
2nd visit - March 2005 - day trip
3rd visit - July 2006 - Hotel Santa Fe
4th visit - March 2012 - Disneyland Hotel
***5th visit May 2014 - Hotel New York***

daddyof2

Going by what's in the Disney Store(s), 6 year old boys may well dress up as Spiderman, Woody or Buzz Lightyear. The advice I read was to get your costumes before you go, rather than pay the premium charged at DLRP

gemma2806

Don't worry about the breakfasts they will have at least one of the restaurants open. They will start work on one and leave the other open until it is completed and then they will swop. If both restaurants are closed though even though it is very unlikely, I would imagine they would simply provide you with a slot to dine in the Disneyland Park which they tend to do anyway especially in the summer months. You can usually enquire at reception and for no extra charge you have your breakfast in the park instead. This is to alleviate the queues at the restaurants in the hotels in the mornings so this might be an option.

molly

im so sorry about your hotel situation it cant be nice, i hope you still enjoy your holiday, good characters for boys are sulley and mike, peter pan, mr smee, captain hook and jack sparrow.
can i please ask a question about the newport bay hotel, we are debating about whether to book newyork or newport bay and with us having small children a big issue is the breakfasts we stayed in sante fe a few yrs and it was packed, ppl pushing and shoving an kids screaming (mine included) them last yr we stayed at the disneyland hotel and it was AMAZING there was no queing for breakfast of dirinks and they even seated you to your own table it was great and the food was gorgeous, i was just wondering what its like in the newport bay at breakfast and what food they usually have available, thank you x

Disneycrazy!

My son was 6 when we last went and he dressed as Peter pan or a pirate every day!

never2old

I was going to suggest a Peter Pan costume as well  :)

Even if the Newport Bay is being refurbished, I'm sure they'll have somewhere in the hotel itself for breakfast and dinner - in addition to the two restaurants (and I doubt that they'll close them both at the same time), there's also space in the conference center, I've had breakfast there in the past!