Accident On Pirates Ride 30 October 2013

Started by bad-pink-tink, October 30, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_spoon_ian

Scary stuff. I still have no idea how this happened... I can't fathom how someone could fall out of the boat, and become trapped under one behind? I get that if they were perhaps standing on the edge of the boat before it reached the dock, it could make them fall out as it jolted forwards, but how did the dad then manage to rescue him if he was trapped under the boat behind? Lifting a boat full of people on his own? I guess we'll never know. Still, another scary situation at Disney, and the sort of publicity they could do without.

stitch147

While I do feel sorry for the child that got hurt you do have to ask what the parents were doing at the time of the accident. There are plently of warings about not standing up etc on the rides so why do parents let them do it?

captain rocket

None of us were there so can only guess what happened. The fact that this ride has been operating for 21 years and this has not happened before, to my knowledge,  shows that under normal circumstances an accident like this cannot happen. I have sat in the back row on Pirates many times and like it because the back is higher than the other rows and you can relax be leaning back and have your back supported. I guess we will find out what actually happened in the fullness of time!

never2old

It seems the child was standing up, and lost balance when the boat starting moving up the ramp towards the station.

Reports this morning are more positive, he's still in a critical condition but it seems his life is no longer in danger. I hope he makes a full recovery!!

orangarnold

Quote from: captain rocket on October 31, 2013, 11:14:26 AM
None of us were there so can only guess what happened. The fact that this ride has been operating for 21 years and this has not happened before, to my knowledge,  shows that under normal circumstances an accident like this cannot happen. I have sat in the back row on Pirates many times and like it because the back is higher than the other rows and you can relax be leaning back and have your back supported. I guess we will find out what actually happened in the fullness of time!

Your line about normal circumstances rings so true. I have to sit on the back on Pirates due to my disability pass I always get seated there. I can't see how you can just fall out unless you were stood up etc.

However, this is no time for finger pointing and blame, this is a time of sending good wishes to the boy for a speedy recovery.

Zee79

Quote from: stitch147 on October 31, 2013, 11:04:14 AM
While I do feel sorry for the child that got hurt you do have to ask what the parents were doing at the time of the accident. There are plently of warings about not standing up etc on the rides so why do parents let them do it?
I agree. The warnings are clearly marked and often verbally said. I really feel for the boy & his family & hope he recovers soon because it is every parents nightmare. However it is parents responsibility to ensure the safety of their child and hopefully it will not ruin the ride for others. I still 'stress' to my children about remaining seated etc & they are 10 & 6.
This was posted on DLP facebook page seven hours ago:We have learned of improvements in the health of little Iban, a young boy involved in yesterday's accident on Pirates of the Caribbean.  This news is a relief, even if we must remain cautious.  We are with the family and we are offering them all the support necessary at this difficult time.

We are working closely and fully with the authorities to understand what happened.  An expert appointed by ...
the authorities is at the attraction which has been closed until further notice for the investigation to be conducted correctly and carefully.  As you know, safety is our utmost concern at Disneyland Paris.  We are systematic about safety and our procedures are among the strictest in the industry.

We would like to thank the teams and the authorities for the quality of their work and the speed with which they reacted.  We would also like to thank our guests for assisting the emergency teams and sending encouragement.
So keeping fingers crossed.

nathalie

Apperently same thing happened in It's a Small World.  We got evacuated last night.

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: nathalie on November 02, 2013, 03:27:38 PM
Apperently same thing happened in It's a Small World.  We got evacuated last night.

goodness, I'm sorry but parents really need to supervise their kids better.

I just saw on twitter that Pirates reopened today.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

orangarnold

I'm shaking my head, what does it take to say to your child sit down. I can see BTM style lap bars coming into play soon.

loulou169

I have two girls aged 11 and 6 and I always tell them to sit down, don't get up til you are told and don't hang over the edge. I know kids hate being told all the time but as a parent it's our job to keep them safe. I always nearly have a nervous breakdown getting on and off these rides with my girls!!  I'm always "take your time", "don't do that", etc!! Lol fingers crossed many other parents will learn from this as there are people who let their kids do the same as that poor boy x
Santa Fe: Oct 2011
Santa Fe: Oct 2012
Cheyenne: Apr 2014
Hotel Kyriad: Mar 2017
SLGF: October 2017
Santa Fe: Feb 2018

Mileto

Sending my positive thoughts to the child!
Do you have new information about his condition?

You are right - DLP has put everywhere sign, they supervise and say instructions. This september we had following situation - we were almost at the end of the ride and I decided to touch the water with hand. Right at this moment there was an announcement on the loudspeaker system that I am supposed not to touch the water during the ride.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

never2old

He recovered OK, I saw in twitter that he was back in DLP with his family on Sunday, I think it was

ed-uk

I read the same thing on the Disney and More Blog and that the father had taken responsibility for what had happened and not blamed the accident on to DLP. So good news all round :)
Ed & David

orangarnold

Quote from: ed-uk on November 05, 2013, 03:21:35 PM
I read the same thing on the Disney and More Blog and that the father had taken responsibility for what had happened and not blamed the accident on to DLP. So good news all round :)

Without sounding too harsh, with the father taking responsibility means no finger wagging can be done at Disney over this

Samninetysix

We were there that day, obviously they closed the ride for the whole day. I have to ask tho, how was a small child allowed to be standing at the back of the boat, we've all been on POTC and when our daughter was that age, she was always helped on and off the boats (as I still have to do with the wife). I find it incredible that either a parent or cast member didn't catch this.

(I should add, read rest of posts before touching keyboard)