Big Thunder Mountain technical problems

Started by Thaliel, May 29, 2012, 03:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thaliel

BTM seems to be having lots of preoblems during the last 2 years. Last week, we had one ride on tuesday, which was fine. But when we wanted to ride again on friday, we were told there were technical dificulties. After we had a snack, we saw the ride back open and got throughthe track wothout problems. But right after we left, we suddenly heard the speakers over on the mountain annpuncing technical problems again. Right then, everyone who was still in the waiting queue was guided out through the exit and all acces for visitors was closed again. the photo booth was also not working that time, even though we got a photo at the sales desk that looked perfect, just the preview at the exit did not work
<-Plz click

Patrick89

When I think back, BTM always was out of order time by time due to technical problems. At least, I couldn't see an increase of downtimes while I was there!
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

Cara

BTM stopped while I was on the ride in February this year. The train was slowing down to come inside but before we got there it just stopped. We were sat there in the freezing cold for 15 minutes! It was then closed for the rest of the day :/

Davy Crockett Ranch - May 2002
Davy Crockett Ranch - March 2003
Kyriad hotel - July 2005
Santa fe - February 2012 (Anniversary trip)
Newport Bay - September 2012!

HayHay

oh this ride has technical difficulties every single time im there .. and ive been alot of times! the one time we were queueing up and they announced technical difficulties easily 5 times, we gave up eventually and left the queue! i dont understand why its constantly breaking down

Handy Andy

Lots of breakdowns again over the last few days. Queue lines were cleared at least 3 times.
Magical Wishes
Andy

Tinkswishes28

This ride was closed on friday and then reopened after a  cm was seen walking all along the tracks. Not sure what they were looking for ?
2005 DLRP

DisneyG83

I have just returned from Disneyland and BTM was experiencing technical problems again.
On Monday, the ride was working on the morning but after dinner, it closed then re-opened and was closed again. Luckily, before the parade at 7pm, we managed to get on the ride.
Yesterday whilst me and my mum were walking around Frontierland, the ride had stopped and we saw guests having to be taken off the ride.
It's a shame really because it's one of my favourite rides in the park :/
Hey There! Hi There! Ho There! It\'s A Disney Kind Of Day!
Just Like We Dreamed It
Do You Believe in Magic?
Magic Everywhere!

Feb. 2003 July 2012 June 2013

DGRavenswood

As others have said, Big Thunder has always had plenty of down-times and despite what CMs are instructed to tell you, they're not usually due to technical difficulties.

It's simple, really. There are five trains on the same track so if for any reason (usually slow-loading or "difficult" guests) one of them gets delayed just a few seconds too long, all the others have to stop as well to ensure everyone's safety. Following that, there's a lengthy procedure (again for safety reasons) to start the ride up again.

People standing up during the ride will also cause breakdowns and (depending on where they force the trains to stop) might even cause an evacuation (not to mention an "evacuation" out of the park for the people who caused it).

So while the ride has had its share of actual technical problems, they don't really affect day-to-day operations. Most of the time it's the human element.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

DisneyManiac

Apart from what DGRavenswood explained, I may have a good explanation for the technical problems: It's Old!
For Example: The Rock falling onto the track, then getting hit by the train, causing it to hit the passengers. It's easy to say what the problem was: Those rocks have been hanging/shaking there for a long time, and that shaking can loosen the 'glue' (or whatever it is!) which will soon lead to the accident not so long ago. But then again, don't they inspect the rides before opening? I know they can't check every nook and cranny all the time but still, there is high expectations especially for a ride like BGM.

:ears: DisneyManiac :ears:

Josh

Maybe so, but think how old the Big Thunder Mountain is at Disneyland in Anaheim. That ones way older and yet it doesn't have any more breakdowns than it did back in the 70s. ;) It's mostly caused by the reasons Ravenwood stated. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

esmeralda

I hope my question is not off topic- but what happend to the opposums?? Last year they were not moving and this year they dissapeared! I know it's due to that incident but will they never return??
Julia

captain rocket

With the knee jerk reaction from DLRP over anything above visitors heads, I would be surprised if we ever sea the oppossums back in the near future. Consistency has never been a big thing with DLRP though as the swinging pirate in POC is still working... sometimes!! and I would think that could do you more damage than a oppossum!

Pete's Dragon

If the swinging pirate fell on you, you would so try to smuggle it out with you. Go on, admit it, I know I would  8)

britincgn

Quote from: "Josh"Maybe so, but think how old the Big Thunder Mountain is at Disneyland in Anaheim. That ones way older and yet it doesn't have any more breakdowns than it did back in the 70s. ;) It's mostly caused by the reasons Ravenwood stated. :)

But hasnt the ride being renewed now and wasnt there a death here when the train jumped the track .....

DGRavenswood

No, it will be extensively refurbished next year.  According to the police report, the accident was caused by maintenance or training issues (this was when Disneyland management was notorious for its budget cuts), not the attraction's age per se.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke