Unsafe in Disneyland?

Started by _Natalie_x, August 24, 2010, 08:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Natalie_x

I think you do let your guard down because it is Disney.. but they need to be aware of this. Is there anyway a large portion of us could contact people from the park and ask them to increase security? I know its a long shot but maybe the managers etc dont see this thing happening because obviously the 'offenders' stay away from the CMs.. :/
 xx
We made a wish.. and believed and believed and VOILA![/color]
Here we are... <3[/b]

PetiteSirene

Last time I was at Thorpe Park I noticed they had set up a text system where you could text information on queue jumpers and people acting anti socially. I can see how a system like this would work since it uses the eyes of guests rather than cast members. However I dont fancy the texting charges you would recieve.

I agree that security in the American Parks feel more present. Especially in DownTown Disney in WDW. I do think people let their guard down at Disney but having a little experience living in a small European town they are sometimes not the nicest places to be at all. However having said that the location of a theme park never matters, if it has thrills it will attract bad attention. Its one of the main reasons they swapped Chessington and Thorpe Park round.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

_Natalie_x

Oh wow I wasn't aware of this text system, maybe if they did make it an internal thing where it didn't cost, like through bluetooth or something this could be a very good system and would definitely assure people in the park that there would be away to get help if you ever felt unsafe.
Although, i dont know how much you'll want to get your phone out if you on your own at night feeling threatened !! Loll but the principle is there !!x
Here we are... <3[/b]

disneyrules

I am very sorry for what happened to you natalie.
I think that there should be at least one security guard maybe even two at every hotel to prevent stuff like this happening. Also there should be a lot more lighting put in the park. I also get very nervous at night when there are big crowds around. The cast member should have at least gone to his manager or contacted security i am sure he would have been aloud if its for guests safety!
I remember when i was in the park just after the parade and there was a big crowd of peopla and someone tried to grab my friends camera. Luckily he didnt get it but i was worried afterwards that there were ither people around ready to pickpocket and steal things from us. There was also no security around so we couldnt tell them about it.

Sadly people probably target places like Disney because people do let there guards down there and people dont expect things like that to happen in Disney.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

stacey-claire

OMG, you so wouldnt think of anything like that happening in disney, or maybe i am just very naive in my thinking, the cm should have definatley tried to help, i am sure anybodys manager would understand in a situation like that, im lucky i always have my boyfriend with me if i go out at night in disney, i was very careful about keeping my valuables near me all the time whilst there, people (including myself) do let their guards down when they are there, but this is the way it should be, its an amazing holiday, its just unfourtunate that there are some people that want to spoil it for everyone else xx :belle:
To see fairies, you have to belive in fairies

Santa Fe- March 2010
Cheyenne- December 2010
Next trip- July 2012 (wish we could go sooner)

doombuggy

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Please be on your guard at Disney, it is not quite as safe as you would hope. I have seen first hand drug deals, fights, thefts, heard of many thefts and there have been armed robberies.

Still WDW has loads of rapes and a couple of murders on their rap sheet, and Disneyland in California also has a couple of murders too.

Never let your guards down, but don't be confined by fear either.
I have lived in Orlando for 6 years and the first rape at WDW I heard of was the one last year.  I have heard of no murders occuring on property; off property, certainly.

To the OP, the CM you spoke to should have called security to assist you.  Security should have been alerted anyway to keep an eye on these harrassers.   :o
1974 - 1983 WDW day trips*1992 WDW off site*1994 Contemporary *1997 WDW off site*1997 Polynesian* 1998 DL PAC*1999 DL Disneyland Hotel*2000 Coronado/Port Orleans*2001 WDW off site*2002 DL Disneyland Hotel*2002 WDW/HHB*2003 PO/Riverside*2003 WDW HHB*2004 Moved to Orlando*2006 DVC Member* 2006 DLR*2007 DVBR*2007 OKW*2007 VWL*2008 GCH * 2009 BLT*2009 AKL*2010 OKW*2010 SSR*2010 DLP (DLH)

stephen23

I had a bad experience in June when I visited this is the letter I sent.

During the ride we were sat
 on row 3 with a group of 6 young men sitting in the rows behind us. As the ride started the group of men started shouting abuse at my family and at other guests. From the start of the ride the group continued to use abusive language such as wankers, —ers at the same time the group started to throw large amounts of water from the ride system onto myself and my family. As the boat was climbing the group started to jump from row to row on the boat. At the same time one of the males assaulted my mum on her head. My mum was punched on the head by one of the males that was sitting behind her. The male then stood up on the ride and tried to hit myself on the head. After this had happened the group continued with the verbal attack on the rest of the guests until the boat reached the docking area.

When the boat reached to docking area myself and my mum approached the cast members and asked if they could get security and the police as my mum had been assaulted. During this time the cast members started to speak to the group of young men in french. Then the cast members went back to unloading and loading the boats and did not state what was going to happen, they simply said that they would tell security and the group of young men just walked out of the attraction while still shouting abuse to my mum and my family. I asked to speak to security and have the police informed as this was an
 assault.

On exiting the attraction I was not satisfied with the action that was being taken and spoke to another member of attraction staff at the exit/shop. After a few phone calls from herself and explaining the situation all over again I was told to go to cityhall and make a report. On reaching cityhall the cast member did not know anything about the incident and my mum had to explain the situation again and fill out a guest communication form. This time my mum got very upset and started to cry, this was Disney not just any old theme park but Disney and my mum was
 let down at the cast member giving us a fastpass. My mum has had a bad year with a death in the family and this incident pushed her to break down in tears in-front of the cast member in cityhall through these thugs. I feel that the whole process was lacking in caring for the customer and that Disney has let me and my family down. I did not speak to security nor did I speak to the police, I feel that Disney just wanted to wash there hands of it.

disneyrules

I am very sorry to hear what happened to you on that ride stephen.
It is horrible what the boys were doing and the cast members should have done a lot more for your family.  Your mum could have had a serious injury!
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

dagobert

That's really bad. I can't believe that such awful things happen at Disneyland. I'm very sorry for your family.

Did you get an answer from Disney after sending the letter.

It's a shame that the CMs didn't help you, but I'm not surprised. Most of the CMs in Paris are bad, you can't compare them with the ones in WDW. Ar least that's my impression. I'm not sure if they are trained like they should be.

jaskat8

Whilst I am really very sympathetic to those who have had such awful experiences I am sure they are very rare.

The queue jumping is the most annoying thing I experience having visited DLP many times since it first opened.

I do think that when these rare events occur the CM's should deal with them far better.Their actions seem woefully inadequate on these occaisions.

Just a question someone may be able to answer; a couple of weeks ago I was queueing behind a French familly on TSPD.The queue was about 45mins-1hr.

When we were about 5 mins from the ride the familly were phoning relatives asking them to push through.two adolesent boys got as far as the cattle pen but were ruluctant to push through any further but the father insisted.When the boys tried to climb through under the barriers others(rightly) objected and tried to stop them. The father then shouted threats at the people complaining and pulled out his wallet and showed them something in his wallet.It was some sort of card largely orange/yellow/red in colours and the French seemed to know what it was and were clearly a bit disturbed by the man. Anybody on here know what it was he showed?

The Helmsman

Quote from: "stephen23"I had a bad experience in June when I visited this is the letter I sent.

During the ride we were sat
 on row 3 with a group of 6 young men sitting in the rows behind us. As the ride started the group of men started shouting abuse at my family and at other guests. From the start of the ride the group continued to use abusive language such as wankers, —ers at the same time the group started to throw large amounts of water from the ride system onto myself and my family. As the boat was climbing the group started to jump from row to row on the boat. At the same time one of the males assaulted my mum on her head. My mum was punched on the head by one of the males that was sitting behind her. The male then stood up on the ride and tried to hit myself on the head. After this had happened the group continued with the verbal attack on the rest of the guests until the boat reached the docking area.

When the boat reached to docking area myself and my mum approached the cast members and asked if they could get security and the police as my mum had been assaulted. During this time the cast members started to speak to the group of young men in french. Then the cast members went back to unloading and loading the boats and did not state what was going to happen, they simply said that they would tell security and the group of young men just walked out of the attraction while still shouting abuse to my mum and my family. I asked to speak to security and have the police informed as this was an
 assault.

On exiting the attraction I was not satisfied with the action that was being taken and spoke to another member of attraction staff at the exit/shop. After a few phone calls from herself and explaining the situation all over again I was told to go to cityhall and make a report. On reaching cityhall the cast member did not know anything about the incident and my mum had to explain the situation again and fill out a guest communication form. This time my mum got very upset and started to cry, this was Disney not just any old theme park but Disney and my mum was
 let down at the cast member giving us a fastpass. My mum has had a bad year with a death in the family and this incident pushed her to break down in tears in-front of the cast member in cityhall through these thugs. I feel that the whole process was lacking in caring for the customer and that Disney has let me and my family down. I did not speak to security nor did I speak to the police, I feel that Disney just wanted to wash there hands of it.

Which attraction was it?  Since other guests were abused as well, why were you the only one making a complain? Where did the others go and how they acted on the matter?
And now a general question...aren't inside attractions cameras for surveillance purposes?
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

_Natalie_x

I assume from the description given that the ride was pirates of the caribbean, and as far as I am aware, there are cameras through-out but perhaps the CMs were concentrating on loading and other guest matters. It is truly awful what happened to you and your family and I do hope you get a reply from Disneyland and get some sort of compensation after your incident. Xx
Here we are... <3[/b]

CafeFantasia

I guess in a situation like that, the best thing to do is get the attention of the Cast Members. Of course, if you're floating through a flooded warehouse, in a boat, in near darkness, that could be difficult. There's no button that you can press to stop the ride, and there's no way of getting off.

The best solution I can think of is to always have a personal attack alarm on you. If you'd let off a 100dB alarm while you were on the boat, the Cast Members would surely have heard it. Hopefully they would've come to your assistance and asked what the problem was.

Samninetysix

Quote from: "Alan"The best solution I can think of is to always have a personal attack alarm on you. If you'd let off a 100dB alarm while you were on the boat, the Cast Members would surely have heard it. Hopefully they would've come to your assistance and asked what the problem was.

I was thinking along the lines of a Taser then roll the scumbags into the water on the POTC just in time for the next boat to hit them :S

_Natalie_x

*like*
Here we are... <3[/b]