Disney Stores..

Started by CentralPlazaPerson, July 11, 2010, 06:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPlazaPerson

I was in my local Disney store today to have a look around as they moved location. I noticed that since Toy Story 3 is coming out very soon where I live the store is full with Woody, Buzz, Jessie and the gang.  But when I started walked further down the shop I noticed that all of the toys where "new generation" toys and that it lacked "original disney" toys and gifts. The thing that bugged me the most was the store was full of Hannah Montana and High School Musical (really anything Disney channel) and there were no Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Dumbo (to name a few) items in store anywhere. I think this is pretty sad because children now will grow up to know Disney as Hannah Montana and High School Musical and not know anything about the good, original movies such as Lion King, Aladdin etc.
However I'm not saying that the movies for the items they are selling now are bad because I liked High School Musical   :oops:  :lol:

Anyone else agree?
Thanks.

Eager_Eyes

I get what you mean and I agree, but if you think about it to kids today that is what Disney represents.  They're not going to be interested in buying or getting their parents to buy for them merchandise associated with films they may have seen a handfull of times vs the disney channel programmes that they see everyday presuming they've got a subscription...

When I was a child I remember the 'classics' being well represented in the Disney store but back then they weren't 'classics' Lion King and Aladdin were both new releases.    I still have my Lion King pencil case way back from just around the time the film came out!!! I wonder if that would be worth something on ebay?

MattyD24

i know that feeling...  :(

to me the Disney Store's in the UK are disappointing these days... nothing much for Adults anymore, unless you can count pairs of Socks, or ornaments, bowls etc...  :(

i remember when i was little, i went in the Disney Store in Blackpool, as i was on holiday there at the time, they had a big screen at the end of the shop, where they a large stand below the screen full of plush toy's/teddie's, well back then those big screens, would show all the kind of things like

clips from the films
mickey mouse cartoons
trailers

atleast back then there was stuff to buy for all ages...  :D

now when i go in Disney Store, i have cringe as all i can hear is HSM, Hannah Montana etc  :(

Disneyland Paris
Disney\'s Hotel Santa Fe 1996, 1999, 2005
Davy Crockett Ranch 2011?

Walt Disney World Resort Florida
Off-Site 2002, 2008

Javey74

Yeah, sadly due to the ever increasing revenues required and marketing a lot of what Disney stood for when it first started has dwindled, evidence as you say in todays Disney Stores..  :(  

At least I know that when you go to DLRP you get the works with the merchandise, for merchandise it's the only place to be really this day and age..  :)

fly_with_me_dumbo

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"I was in my local Disney store today to have a look around as they moved location. I noticed that since Toy Story 3 is coming out very soon where I live the store is full with Woody, Buzz, Jessie and the gang.  But when I started walked further down the shop I noticed that all of the toys where "new generation" toys and that it lacked "original disney" toys and gifts. The thing that bugged me the most was the store was full of Hannah Montana and High School Musical (really anything Disney channel) and there were no Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Dumbo (to name a few) items in store anywhere. I think this is pretty sad because children now will grow up to know Disney as Hannah Montana and High School Musical and not know anything about the good, original movies such as Lion King, Aladdin etc.
However I'm not saying that the movies for the items they are selling now are bad because I liked High School Musical   :oops:  :lol:

Anyone else agree?
Thanks.

I disagree, Girls range is mainly based on the princess' cinderella, aurora, belle, ariel. And thats the biggest selling range for girls, its tradtional, and all the little girls and boys know all these films!
The best sellers for boys are toy story and cars, but it's just moving with the time.
Yes tweens is all hannah now, but I dont think the average 13 year old girl doesnt wants to be sat watching sleeping beauty they want to be learning dances etc like hannah montana
The disney store has a brand new range in aimed at the boys and girls and its all tradtional mickey and minnie! which is great but tbh the kids still prefer to goto cars or toy story especially an 8 year old boy!
But its great how Disney are trying to bring back the more traditonal cartoons,  even the little playsets are older movies like 101 dalmations and lion king. They've also got rid of the CG gift boxes and bags and replaced it with the brad new traditonal mickey comic strip design. Also the pillows have scenes on now from films like beauty and the beast instead of all being nemo or stitch heads. So they are trying to bring it back. And they have recently done an excellent value range of tshirts for men and women at £6  :thumbs:
However it's a shame they only really have lots of gifts for adults at christmas :/

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "MattyD24"i remember when i was little, i went in the Disney Store in Blackpool, as i was on holiday there at the time, they had a big screen at the end of the shop, where they a large stand below the screen full of plush toy's/teddie's

I remember that so clearly. When I was a small kid I used to sit down and watch things like Steamboat Willy etc.  :lol:

loladelorean

I have to disagree as well. I was in the Glasgow st Enoch store the other day and was pleasantly surprised. They have a larger range of plushes than I remember with loads from classic films. A large range of mickey and Minnie merchandise including adult clothes as the main display. And songs I heard whilst there were from snow White, Mary poppins and the lion king.
I found it to be a lovely experience! Cms all fantastic too.
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19