Disney's Sequoia Lodge refurbishment (October 2010 - 2012)

Started by Kristof, May 27, 2010, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

What I find interesting is that Disney always used Chip and Dale in the brochures, catalogues, DVDs and planning videos to promote the resort. Now they are changing to Bambi. I would have preferred Chip and Dale.

Maybe the cost saving is really the reason for using Bambi.

pussinboots

This I actually don't mind... The shower curtains and wallpaper borders at the Grand Californian are subtle and well-done, although probably too Arts & Crafts-ish for Sequoia Lodge. And the motifs at the Sequoia were never that exciting to begin with.

Bambi does fit because the film is set in the American woods, and Disney did send a group of animators over to the Appalachians (granted, wrong coast, but oh well) for inspiration.

Let's just thank God that Pixar hasn't released a movie about a woodland critter yet.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I wonder if they are essentially just going to copy the Bambi motifs on the bedspreads and shower curtains like the Grand Californian in Anaheim to save on cost?

No, looks like they're original designs. Actually, judging from previews the Bambi influence will be really subtle, in the rooms it'll pretty much be limited to the freezes and pictures on the wall. The lamps over the beds already had their deer motif.

Of course, they may crack up and put a giant inflatable Thumper on the roof for all I know...

pussinboots

Quote from: "RiverRogue"No, looks like they're original designs. Actually, judging from previews the Bambi influence will be really subtle, in the rooms it'll pretty much be limited to the freezes and pictures on the wall. The lamps over the beds already had their deer motif.

Of course, they may crack up and put a giant inflatable Thumper on the roof for all I know...

Ah right, the deer lamps. All they need to fit in is some long eyelashes. And I don't think the rooms at Sequoia Lodge have friezes at the moment, or even printed shower curtains, so this should be interesting.

Martyn

Quotegod i hope they don't ruin it- i love sequoia lodge)

Hear hear!

lorrig

A hotel charging these prices shouldn't have shower curtains at all! Old fashioned and not particularly hygienic. Should spend the money on shower screens and actually improving room facilities rather than just redecorating them. Just my humble opinion

RiverRogue

Quote from: "pussinboots"Ah right, the deer lamps. All they need to fit in is some long eyelashes. And I don't think the rooms at Sequoia Lodge have friezes at the moment, or even printed shower curtains, so this should be interesting.

I think the shower curtains have the Sequoia Lodge logo on them... though it's been a few years since I've last been in one of the rooms.

Otherwise, the new designs look much less geometric than the current ones; the brief says they wanted to emphasize nature so they opted for the more Art Nouveau aspects of Arts and Crafts.

I must admit I liked the old designs, though it may just be nostalgia on my part... That said, they already changed the designs once sometime in the 90s.

pussinboots

I think what's lacking at the Sequoia Lodge rooms (and certain other parts of the hotel) is something the Ralph Lauren wallpaper department calls a "conversational," by which they mean something so horribly kitschy you can't help but talk about it, haha. Patterns made up of pictures of dogs with their tongues hanging out, Ascot horses, sailboats, Chinese junks, that sort of thing.

I mean, it's all very appropriate, but a trifle boring, apart from the deer lamp, which I frankly want. It doesn't have to be over-the-top and there don't need to be characters on everything, but people do enjoy these little touches to remind them why they paid all that money.

And Art Nouveau sounds promising. It would be nice to see them get this one right...

Here's Bambi at the Grand Californian:

Here you can see a little bit of the bedspread:

dagobert

The Grand Californian loks a little bit like the Sequoia Lodge. In my opinion there shouldn't be shower curtains in a 4 star hotel. At least in new ones. Maybe if Disney would build the Grand Californian now, it wouldn't have shower curtains.

Is the Sequoia Lodge a 3 star hotel?

ed-uk

Indeed the rooms at the Grand Californian do look like the rooms at the Sequoia Lodge, judging from the photo. Obviously the style is also popular in America. But why shouldn't a 4 star hotel have a shower curtain?
Ed & David

dagobert

Quote from: "ed-uk"Indeed the rooms at the Grand Californian do look like the rooms at the Sequoia Lodge, judging from the photo. Obviously the style is also popular in America. But why shouldn't a 4 star hotel have a shower curtain?

Quote from: "lorrig"A hotel charging these prices shouldn't have shower curtains at all! Old fashioned and not particularly hygienic. Should spend the money on shower screens and actually improving room facilities rather than just redecorating them. Just my humble opinion

I also think that they are old fashioned and not very hygienic. But I think if they would build it now, there would bea real shower covered with glass. At least that's what I encontered in the last three years in 4 and 5 star hotels. Does the NY, NBC and DL Hotel also have shower curtains and a bathtub.

But as long as the bathroom is properly cleaned, I'm fine.

ed-uk

The NY, NBC and DL hotel also have shower curtains and bathtub when I've stayed there. I've never heard shower curtains aren't hygienic before. They probably replace them.
Ed & David

RiverRogue

Quote from: "pussinboots"I mean, it's all very appropriate, but a trifle boring, apart from the deer lamp, which I frankly want. It doesn't have to be over-the-top and there don't need to be characters on everything, but people do enjoy these little touches to remind them why they paid all that money.

Well, I always felt that the Sequoia Lodge was the least photogenic of the hotels (though New York and Santa Fe aren't far behind) but in person, its rustic charm always won me over. I fear that flowery ornaments and Bambi might work against that feel.

Don't expect anything over-the-top from the new designs either, though. Like I said, it's all going to be rather subtle, possibly more so than it is right now.

And while I haven't seen or heard anything about the shower curtains yet (seems to be a big topic, that...) the bedspread doesn't have anything in common with the Grand Californian's.

ed-uk

The bedspreads are different from the one shown at Grand Californian, and no doubt the pictures on the wall are different, too, but the style of the room looks similar.
Ed & David

dagobert

Quote from: "ed-uk"The NY, NBC and DL hotel also have shower curtains and bathtub when I've stayed there. I've never heard shower curtains aren't hygienic before. They probably replace them.

Of curse they replace them when they are getting too dirty. It is just my preference since I stayed in so many hotels during the last two years, because of my girlfriend's work and holidays, that I like hotels with in glass covered showers better than chower curtains. But I think, like you, that most of them are fine, except for really cheap hotels.