Character Meets at Disney hotels axed from November 2014

Started by dazzle_v2003, February 11, 2014, 11:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zee79

I think is it a bad idea. I know it can still be a scuffle to see the characters at the hotel but it is far easier for children to do it here than in the parks where the majority of adults push children out of the way to meet the characters, plus there are a lot less characters out and about in the parks now so a lot of children seem to miss out.
I note the date when we go in my children's/nephew & neice's autograph books and looking back through them over the years both have got as many autographs (age gap varies from 11 to age 3 so doesn't mean they have got all the autographs and this is why it is now less).

dazzle_v2003

It will be the same characters you would have met in the Hotel but now in the parks. Now DLP have implemented a queuing system for all meet and greets which has been a success so as long as this continues there will be no scrums everyone waits their turn to meet their disney friend.

gemma2806

I'll be in the minority here but I actually think this is a good idea. You'll be able to move around the hotel without hitting queues in the lobby to see the characters which has always been a sore point with me. It's crazy enough in the parks so when you're in your hotel you want a bit of a breather and it would be nice to get up in the mornings without hitting queues on your way to breakfast!

I also agree with the characters moving to EMH because as a paying Disney guest it is annoying that people who have not paid for the privilege can just walk into your hotel and have pictures with characters that you have in effect paid to see!

I'm pleased that they are keeping the characters in Cafe Mickey and Inventions as these are nice treats but I do hope that they confirm that they will keep the characters in the Empire State Club and the Golden Forest Club. If not I would expect Disney to lower the prices on these room options to reflect the removal of the characters if it happens.

When I went in November EMH were empty so the park was heaven and the queues for the characters all day were well managed and organised, a huge improvement on September 2012!!

alternativerock123

I can easily see that they've moved the characters to the parks to get people into the park themselves to start spending more money on merch and food stores.
Also I am guessing that most of these character interactions will happen in Fantasyland and Discoveryland - therefore giving the people the idea to stay in a resort hotel or get an annual pass so they can too enjoy the EMH features. So it's all a marketing thing.

HOWEVER! I hope they might include some 'shows' and events such as the WDW "Park Opening" show on the train station. Or something like the old Mary Poppins "Good Morning" show. Just something other than seeing Minnie at the Boarding House or Winnie in his usual spot.

(Also yes the train station event would have to happen on Town Square since the other side is blocked off.)

http://youtu.be/nn416Bd0__8
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

dazzle_v2003

A show would be nice actually a nice little touch say at 8.30 there is a little show on Town Square or even in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle with a cutting the ribbon to open the park for the day style thing. That would be a really nice experience and make AP holders and hotel guests stay extra special as only they can see the show.

DLPWonders (Banned)

The characters of ALL hotels are going to disappear.
Also during breakfast at the Empire State Club and Golden Forest Club.
The Descent of the Stairs at the Disneyland Hotel will also disappear.

The only place where the characters will stay is at the Disneyland Hotel.
During lunch, brunch and breakfast the Castle Club.
That's it, only those three places and nowhere else.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

jackieann

Omg, thats terrible. No real perks for golden forest then really..and the dlh descent going.. gutted!!!! Where are they going to put those characters now???

captain rocket

They are going to save the money!!
How can you say "no real perks for Golden Forest then"?
The main benefit of GF is to avoid that apalling scrum at the Sequioa! And there is the small matter of free drinks during the day and the High Tea at 4.00 ish. Wether it's worth the extra is debatable, but the characters are only one small part of the perks in my opinion.
If they had done away with the character meet and greet altogether I would be upset, but as you will now enjoy characters in EMH and in their natural environment, the park I think this is a more than adequate idea.

jackieann

Having children characters are a big part of the disney experience for us.. yeah drinks etc is great but I'd miss the characters to....

Are they having lots of characters in the park for emh?

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: jackieann on April 18, 2014, 12:24:38 PM
Having children characters are a big part of the disney experience for us.. yeah drinks etc is great but I'd miss the characters to....

Are they having lots of characters in the park for emh?

No details yet, but I wouldn't count on it.
All the special characters and costumes are not transferring to the park.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''