Disney Hotels renovation of rooms

Started by Disneyland Paris Treasures, November 20, 2009, 02:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnd331

I was in Hotel New York a few weeks ago and I noticed they updated the TV system. The rest of the room didn't really seem to have enjoyed an update. It wasn't bad though.

For some reasons, they replaced the old CRTs with new ones (you would expect them to bring in LCD flatscreens... but they're probably afraid of the lifetime of the backlights, they won't last another 18 years :) ).

The new TVs are driven by a set-top-box mounted behind them and offer some interactive services, like your hotel bill, some info channels and some park and hotel info. Also, all channels are now digital, which is a huge improvement for the picture quality. The major downside of this system is: it is slow as hell and not a pleasure to use. Another downside for many international guests: they removed most large international channels from the roster and just offer some general news channels instead, besides the standard set of Disney channels...

pussinboots

Why on earth haven't they replaced the TVs with LCDs? I haven't even seen a CRT for sale in years. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

dagobert

At least they replaced the old ones. At the Sequoia Lodge we had a CRT TV which didn't work very well. You could hardly hear anything and the oicture quality was very bad. I would have been very happy if there would have been a newer CRT TV.

But I still don't get it why Disney didn't replace them with LCD. They aren't expensive anymore and need less energy than CRTs. Maybe an electronic company had these old TVs were on stock and Disney got them very cheap, because no one else would buy them anymore.

johnd331

QuoteBut I still don't get it why Disney didn't replace them with LCD. They aren't expensive anymore and need less energy than CRTs. Maybe an electronic company had these old TVs were on stock and Disney got them very cheap, because no one else would buy them anymore.

I've asked myself the same question and to be honest, I don't think the decision was based on one-time investment cost. It's kind of difficult to get a CRT screen at any electronics shop those days and it is equally hard to find them at distributors and I doubt a CRT (containing a lot of metal and glass) of that moderate size will be cheaper than an LCD screen. Some reasons behind this decision might be:

- LCD screens usually use backlights that only have a moderate lifetime. It would be unlikely that new LCD screens would last another 17 to 18 years, like the current, outdated analog CRT system did. If the backlight dies, your picture remains black. It is often cheaper to buy a new LCD screen instead of fixing it. An alternative might have been LCD screens with LED backlights, but they're still quite expensive.
- Most LCD screens are widescreen, those new (silver coloured) CRTs are in the old 4:3 format. In some hotels, the TV is placed in a cabinet, that seems to have been made or chosen to fit to the TV. Maybe they just couldn't find an LCD that fit in there.

dagobert

These cabinets should also be replaced as soon as possible, at least in our room at the Sequoia Lodge. The drawers were broken and so we couldn't open them.

Anthony

Kristof took a few pictures of those new TVs here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8763

One big difference seems to be the channel list, now including Playhouse Disney and Disney XD? And being able to choose your language of the resort TV channel?

Got to wonder why cheapo hotels like Kyriad and Ibis are willing to invest in LCDs if their lifespan is so bad. In fact, Kyriad used to have CRTs when it opened in 2003 and they've recently upgraded (digital switchover?).

But then they also have free wifi everywhere... Disney are getting really behind.

pussinboots

^ Kyriad also has air conditioning... Yes, it's true.

dagobert

Does someone know if any rooms of all Disney hotels got a refurbishment in the last 10 years? I'm asking this, because many rooms of Disney's Pop Century were refurbished recently and this hotel opened in 2003 and not 1992.

johnd331

QuoteDoes someone know if any rooms of all Disney hotels got a refurbishment in the last 10 years? I'm asking this, because many rooms of Disney's Pop Century were refurbished recently and this hotel opened in 2003 and not 1992.

A full refurbishment? I doubt so.

Obviously there have been some smaller refurbishments, like some paintjobs, maybe some new floorings and even some new wallpaper here and there. Alongside some other things I noticed like the new TVs, chipbased cardreaders instead of magnet-stripe based ones, etc.

The most recently fully refurbished rooms are probably on the top floors of Sequoia Lodge, as they were heavily damaged during a fire in 1996 :)

Martyn

QuoteAt the Sequoia Lodge we had a CRT TV which didn't work very well. You could hardly hear anything and the oicture quality was very bad.

Lol, that wasn't room 4129 was it?

QuoteThese cabinets should also be replaced as soon as possible, at least in our room at the Sequoia Lodge. The drawers were broken and so we couldn't open them.

Our room in the Seqouia Lodge had a new cabinet, had new beds, bed side table and mirror too. They were all light wood as appose to the older dark wood.

ZINDERELLA

QuoteOur room in the Seqouia Lodge had a new cabinet, had new beds, bed side table and mirror too. They were all light wood as appose to the older dark wood.

Do you recall the room number and was it a genrally nice room / location? we are going in october and I was hoping to get a room recommendation from someone so that I could request a specific room. I know it is not garunteed, but thought it would be worth a try, as it is my Mum's first visit and I want to do all I can to make sure our stay is fab.
  :D
2007 Halloween- Santa Fe
2009 May 1/2 Term- Newport Bay
2010 Halloween - Sequoia Lodge
2010 Xmas - Newport Bay (the one we won!)
2012 May 1/2 Term - Sequoia Lodge
2013 July - Magic Circus
2017 Magic Circus

Martyn

I think it was 4129. It was a Lakeside View room. It was the first room on the right from the south block elevators.

We only actully paid for a Montana room, but we requested a 'high floor', and they gave us a Lakeside View room, which was very good of them!

ZINDERELLA

Quote from: "Martyn"I think it was 4129. It was a Lakeside View room. It was the first room on the right from the south block elevators.

We only actully paid for a Montana room, but we requested a 'high floor', and they gave us a Lakeside View room, which was very good of them!

Thank you for the information, I will try to email or phone them before we go to make a request  :)
2007 Halloween- Santa Fe
2009 May 1/2 Term- Newport Bay
2010 Halloween - Sequoia Lodge
2010 Xmas - Newport Bay (the one we won!)
2012 May 1/2 Term - Sequoia Lodge
2013 July - Magic Circus
2017 Magic Circus

Rayn2409

Have posted in Trip planning as well..

But in case anyone is interested to know, the Davy Crockett new cabins are pretty good and close to the village centre.

Much improved on the originals and worth the upgrade value...

Rayn
Rayn
DCR Nov Dec 1998 (Just the two of us)Davy Crockett Dec Dec 2001 (Baby makes three)DPH Dec 2002 (Baby still makes three but we thought we would go posh DPH Dec 2003 (WE LOVE POSH!) DPH Dec 2005 (twins arrive... babies make 5!!) NYH Jan 2007 ( 3 kids are expensive, decided not to be quite so Posh) SQ Jan 2008 (help, have to book two rooms now,gulp).

dlrpmad

Does anyone know if they have renovated the rooms at the Hotel Cheyenne?? Me, my mum, my dad and my sister are going back there this october and i was wondering if anything had been done to the rooms there??
101% Stitch LOVING!!