Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End (2007)

Started by Dlrpfan, July 29, 2006, 10:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

My friend looked on the Dead Man's Chest DVD yesterday and said that she couldn't find the scene at the end of the credits  :? I don't have it on DVD, so I can't check for myself.
I should be seeing this film again at least once this week.
And there should be a 4th at some point in the future. It's so obviously been left open for one. Don't want to spoil the ending, but anyone who's seen it will know what I mean about Jack.
Great Poets Do Not Die

Hilary

OK, put me down as another sad person who would love to be told what happened after the credits - a PM would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have much luck with these - I saw Dead Man's Chest at a press screening and they closed the curtains before the end of the credits so I missed that one.  And this time around, I had a sneaky suspicion that I should stay but I was with a bunch of people (including my lift home!) and they were all leaving so...sigh.

(ETA: Thanks for the PM Pat!)

Anthony

Quote from: "BBC News"Dip in Pirates' box office gold

The third Pirates of the Caribbean film dominated the box office this weekend, but failed to match the performance of the 2006 sequel Dead Man's Chest.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End took $126.5m (£63.2m) in the US on its opening three days, but fell short of the earlier film's $136.6m (£68.8m).

However it did break the four-day Memorial Day record set by X-Men 3.

The film, starring Johnny Depp, easily sailed past the $123m (£61.9m) set by X-Men: The Last Stand, last year.

Spider-Man 3 currently holds the three-day box office sales record. The sequel took $151m (£76m) across its opening weekend earlier this month.

'Record Friday'

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, which reunites Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, is currently showing in 102 countries, and opened in a record 4,362 cinemas.

It follows the original film, Curse of the Black Pearl, released in 2003, and last year's Dead Man's Chest.

The latest chapter in the Disney adventure, inspired by a theme park ride, took $57m (£28.7m) in the US, including previews of $14m, by the end of its opening day on Friday.

The studio claimed combined national and international figures marked their biggest Friday ever.

"This is the biggest Friday our company has ever had," said Mark Zoradi, of Walt Disney Studios.

"We're delighted that word-of-mouth is clearly translating into record results at the box office."

Mixed reviews

In contrast, critics reviews have so far been mixed.

"Maybe they should have called it Pirates of the Caribbean: At Wit's End," wrote Time magazine's Richard Schickel

"While it still lacks the giddy zip of Curse of the Black Pearl, the new edition delivers its fair share of entertaining sequences, especially wherever Depp is concerned," wrote The Hollywood Reporter's Michael Rechtshaffen.

"I applaud the Oscar nomination Depp received for the first Pirates, but the third chapter proves that there can indeed be too much of a good thing," wrote Peter Travers in Rolling Stone.

"Pirates 3 raises everything from the dead, except inspiration."

Ticket sales are likely to be further boosted by the Memorial Day holiday in the US on Monday.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6696753.stm

So still amazing, if not quite DMC-level.

penfold12

I was reading that it is still expected to end with higher ticket sales than Spidermen 3 by the end of the summer, due to the fact that the holidays have officially started in the USA, so there was not as much need to see it over the actual weekend like Spiderman.

penguin

It'll definitely be bigger than Spiderman. The acting is 10000000 times better for a start  :lol:
Great Poets Do Not Die

Charlotte

Quote from: "penfold12"I was reading that it is still expected to end with higher ticket sales than Spidermen 3 by the end of the summer, due to the fact that the holidays have officially started in the USA, so there was not as much need to see it over the actual weekend like Spiderman.

Pirates totally blows Spiderman out of the water =]  I actually fell asleep when I was watching it last weekend. :P

Hilary

Ugh, Spiderman...not a bad film as such, just an OK one with some truly awful moments! Certainly At World's End was much more enjoyable.

That said, I don't think either film is good enough to be making such ridiculous amounts of money - and enjoyable though the Pirates movies are, must they be so long? It's no wonder people are itching to leave once the credits start and miss the final scenes :wink:

Nicholas-c

seen it for 2nd time today and i think it is better 2nd time round :p
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Anthony

I finally saw it! (and stayed till the end :wink:)

Amazing! Brilliant! Perfect! What more can I say. The bad reviews were totally wrong.  Wrapped everything up better than I could have hoped, the Jack hallucinations were fantastic (and surprisingly arty considering its a Summer blockbluster) and the ending between Will and Elizabeth was incredibly romantic.  *swoons*  :lol:

GeoffD

it's a good film. I loved the bit before the Hallucinations where they played about 30 seconds straight from the attraction.

I thought it was great (DMC still my favouite of the 3 though)

Hilary

From http://www.iesb.net/

QuoteDisney's "Pirates" Rule The Global Box Office with Biggest Opening of All Time; Film's Unprecedented Booty of $401 Million is a New Industry Record!

ImageWalt Disney Pictures' epic adventure "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," from Jerry Bruckheimer Films, landed in the global box office record books and laid claim to the biggest opening in industry history, with an unprecedented gross of $401,000,000 in its first six days of release, it was announced today by Mark Zoradi, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Marketing and Distribution.  This figure surpasses the previous record of $382 million set by the six day opening of "Spiderman 3" earlier this year.  "Pirates" continues to please audiences around the world with exceptionally strong exit polls.

Domestically, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" raised its weekend estimate to $156 million (including Thursday night showings). The film set a new record for the four-day Memorial Day Weekend with its gross of $142 million (including Monday estimates), the film surpassed the previous high of $122.8 million set by "X-Men: The Last Stand" in 2006.

At the international box office, Disney's latest "Pirates" adventure shattered records from Russia to Japan with its phenomenal $245 million cume through Monday (including Monday estimates).  The film had record-breaking openings (figures are through Sunday) in their respective markets in the following countries: Korea ($18.4 million), Japan ($15.9 million; US Productions only), Russia ($13.7 million), Spain ($11.6 million), Taiwan ($4.5 million) and Netherlands ($2.8 million).  It also set new Walt Disney Studio records in the U.K. ($26.6 million), France ($17.7 million), Germany ($16.8 million) and Australia ($9.9 million).  With its six-day tally of $245 million, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" has set a new international record that surpasses the previous six-day high of $232 million set by "Spiderman 3" a few weeks ago.  "Pirates" still has a few markets yet to open including China and India.

Commenting on the announcement, Zoradi said, "We knew that audiences all over the world were excited to see Johnny Depp and the rest of the fantastic 'Pirates' cast in this latest adventure, but this record-setting response at the global box office has been nothing short of incredible.  'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' now has the distinction of having the biggest opening in movie history, and we're extremely proud of that achievement.  Credit goes to the multitude of talent both in front of and behind the camera.  Jerry Bruckheimer, Gore Verbinski and their exceptional teams as well as the creative minds of writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio have proven to be the perfect recipe for success."

"Pirates" which rolled out on over 29,000 screens worldwide, showed on a record number of digital screens both domestically (1,064) and internationally (414) bringing the global total to 1,478.  The film has already become the Studio's 54th release to join the $100 million club internationally and the 53rd film to reach the $100 million plateau domestically – unprecedented in the industry.

x-charlotte-x

I finally went to see it on Saturday!  :D Yay! I didn't manage to stay till the end though  :( i was sat at the end of the row and everyone else was getting up and wanting to get past me.  :x

A PM detailing the ending scene would be much appreciated!  :wink:

1997 - Santa Fe
2006 - Cheyenne
2009 - New York

Anthony

Quote from: "BBC News"Pirates film takes China by storm

Opening week takings of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End have surpassed those of Spiderman 3 in China, despite the film being censored.

Some scenes with Hong Kong actor Chow Yun-fat - who plays Singapore pirate Captain Sao Feng - were trimmed for local audiences.

China's news agency Xinhua said scenes of Chow as a bald, scarred pirate, insulted China's people.

But the film has taken 80 million yuan (£5.27m) since its release on 12 June.

The figure was 10 million yuan (£659,000) more than Spiderman 3 earned in its first week.

Xinhua said Chow's time on the screen had "been slashed in half by censors in China for vilifying and defacing the Chinese."

The actor appears on screen for only 10 minutes in the version of the Hollywood blockbuster released in China, compared to 20 minutes in the rest of the world.

Some local newspaper reviews have said the cuts make the film difficult to follow.

Spiderman 3, released on 2 May, has earned more than 100 million yuan (£6.59m), topping China's movie box office takes so far this year.
Source

Maybe good news for HKDL's pirate invasion event then, and construction of their own POTC in years to come?

Dlrpfan

I was just wondering does anybody know when the scheduled releace dat (if there is one yet) of pirates 3 is?
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

mehdi5

Quote from: "Dlrpfan"I was just wondering does anybody know when the scheduled releace dat (if there is one yet) of pirates 3 is?
If i read right it was November 26, there will be a one-disc dvd, a two-disc dvd and a two-disc blu-ray version. But i do notice At World's End has the same release date as Dead Man's Chest did.