2017 land deadline to be extended?

Started by Anthony, January 29, 2010, 06:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

For our sanity it probably would be yes, but from a business angle I'd say Ratatouille makes a lot more sense. That rat has a lot of pulling power and at the same time finally give the park a dark ride, something with actual depth. Soarin however great is just another large screen (though hopefully it'll be next).

Whoever said they should focus on a water park next is right - when's THAT going to happen? They could add all the rides in the world to WDS, but it wouldn't get people to stay an extra night like a water park would.

Adam

Whilst I agree that the water park would make people stay for another night, it costs money. However, the decision to not build it may be more than just that. Consider a guest - they want a holiday to DLP and want to use their time (and money!) to the optimum. if they have had a look through the contents of WDS, they may say (especially if they have been before!) - "lets skip the WDS and visit the Park and the Water Park, with a pop into WDS for ..."

In the end, a whole new park, but no benefit for trip length. It makes sense to fill up WDS to make it a proper, all round, full park, as it should have been at launch, which people will not even consider missing off, rather than build another one, and save some money too!

charlied

I agree that making WDS a brilliant park is priority number 1. Then as major expansions go I think number 2 should be a huge Disney Village expansion with convention centre; number 3 should be a water park then consider an extension of Lake Disney. Oh and all those E-Tickets we all want for Disneyland Park before they even start to think about park 3.

Quote from: "Adam"In the end, a whole new park, but no benefit for trip length. It makes sense to fill up WDS to make it a proper, all round, full park, as it should have been at launch, which people will not even consider missing off, rather than build another one, and save some money too!

Unfortunately that's what happened in Orlando. When Animal Kingdom opened, guests didn't extend their trip lengths, they just missed out some of the other parks; visitor numbers for the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and MGM/Hollywood Studios all decreased by quite a lot when AK opened. And the same thing happened when Islands Of Adventure opened at Universal, people went to that park instead of Universal. I reckon the same thing will happen this year when Potter Mania takes a grip.

dagobert

In my opinion there is no real chance to see a now park in the neyt 15 years. Which bank would give Disney so much money to build a third park?
That's also the reason why I don't think that there will be a water park in the next five to ten years.

andrewuk

Quote from: "Kristof"
Quote from: "andrewuk"The plan was going to be to add the theatre district and then transform backlot into 'Action Studio' but they haven't done anything at all.

In fact that plan still exists.  It depends on when Soarin' will be build.  :wink:

So does that mean that both the 'Theatre District' and 'Action Studio' have to wait until 'Soarin' over the world' is filmed and then wait again for the Paris management to approve it? That's hardly going to be soon as Rat, Mermaid and Star Tours 2 now seem to be ahead of it in the queue. So any place-making in those areas just has to wait? Is there any joined up thinking going on at all :?:  

Do we know if Soarin' is a large investment or is it something they could do with a spare 40million or so? :?:  :?:  :?:
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Anthony

Quote from: "andrewuk"Do we know if Soarin' is a large investment or is it something they could do with a spare 40million or so? :?:  :?:  :?:
No, much more than that. Can't remember any figures but whenever the cost has been mentioned online I've been surprised just how much it was... more like double that, pushing 100m. It's the crazy meccano seating I suppose.

By the way, of course I know a waterpark costs a lot of money, but if we're talking third parks then that's what they should be focusing on as their third pillar. DLP at the moment is small enough that people see it as only a weekend or "couple of nights" place. It probably has room for expansion of room nights, whereas Orlando obviously doesn't, they maxed out at 14 nights long ago. Until we get a waterpark, DLP will never seem very resort-like, like somewhere you'd spend a week.

montaguewarner

Quote from: "Anthony"DLP will never seem very resort-like, like somewhere you'd spend a week.

Sorry to disagree but i'm staying at dlp for 8 nights this year! 7 night last year just wasnt enough!  :D
Past Visits
DLP - JUN 2005 - Val D\'Europe
DL - APR 2006 - Disneyland Hotel
DLP - AUG 2009 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUL 2010 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUN 2011 - Val D\'Europe

simonandwendy626

I couldn't agree more 10 of our trips have been for a least a week...with one of 11 days and that was still not enough...if only money was not a problem :lol:

Terkina

But how will a water park work in the winter?
Disneyland 1981, 1986
Walt Disney World 1986, 1990
Disneyland Paris 1995, 2011

mehdi5

Quote from: "Terkina"But how will a water park work in the winter?
You could have it indoors, with an outdoor portion that's open during the summer and other hotter days. I'd like to see them do something like the Pirates water park concepts we saw from Disney a few years ago.

Terkina

I was thinking of the waterparks Disney have in the USA and totaly forgot that they can build an indoor one in Paris  :lol:
Disneyland 1981, 1986
Walt Disney World 1986, 1990
Disneyland Paris 1995, 2011

JelleP

Hmmm... I'm not sure if an indoor water-park will work that well...
I mean, (almost?) every Disney Hotel in Paris has it's own indoor swimming pool, so I think an indoor water-park at Disneyland Paris would be a waste of money!
Besides that I also think that the illusion WDI created with Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon in Florida, won't work inside a building. So I think it would be much wiser to invest in a third themepark. And with the word 'themepark' I don't mean the WDS, but the DLP. They should invest in a very good third park from the same level as the DLP, instead of a water- or a WDS-like park.

But that's just my opinion... :roll:
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

CafeFantasia

QuoteUntil we get a waterpark, DLP will never seem very resort-like, like somewhere you'd spend a week.

Personally I don't agree with that. You don't need a water park to have a resort. Universal Orlando doesn't have a water park, Tokyo DisneySea doesn't have a water park, and Disneyland Resort doesn't have one either. They're all resorts though.

I've actually stayed at Universal Orlando for an entire week, and it was probably the best theme park holiday I've ever had. The whole place really felt like a resort; a great place to have a holiday. And... it didn't have a water park :-)

mehdi5

DLP has always been a resort, i've never been to Universal Orlando(though i'm planning to in the future together with WDW) and Universal CityWalk does kinda seem to be what Disney Village should be. Maybe do a bigger expansion of Disney Village first like a sort of mini city within the resort. I don't really think a waterpark should be the main priority right now but the third park should be. And something full-sized like the Disneyland Park, not like WDS. They can always build a waterpark, but it won't bring as much money and people as a full-sized themepark. They should try to put a solid investment in it though, and not let the park have the same faith as the original studios park concepts had.

DopeyDad

DLPinfo.com

http://www.dlp.info/News/2010/09/third- ... #more-3781

It seems (eventually) to say that Villages Nature may be recommence and a Third Gate may be made by 2030 IF market conditions are right,

I sincerely hope that Village Nature does not become a third gate by default somehow, some kind of Animal Kingdom combination of accommodation, wildlife, environment and WDI theming and attractions could be great but a Centre Parcs!

Maybe I read that wrong and Village Nature could be interseting, has anyone any more info?