Operation Hours

Started by Riebi, July 22, 2009, 09:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riebi

Hi! As you know I was very disapointed by the operating hours. There´s an interesting article at dlp.info which abstract the topic:

QuoteSorry... we are closed / not yet open
Yes, it is summer high season for the Disneyland Resort Paris from early July to late August, yes the parks are busy and yes, the Disneyland Park has extended operating hours and features additional entertainment such as Goofy's Summer Camp, Disney's Fantillusion and in particular the Enchanted Fireworks to bring the day to a majestic finale in the skies above Sleeping Beauty Castle. But guests could be excused for believing that they are in the Disneyland Park on a slow off-season day thanks to additional signs posted on the entrances to various attractions – minor and major ones such as Phantom Manor – that inform about staggered operating hours, i.e. certain attractions opening later than the park and / or closing earlier.

Guests during the slower off-season months had already become used to a few certain attractions such as Autopia and Alice's Curious Laybrinth opening late (around 11.00 am on most days) and closing early. But in the past years these limited operating hours were restricted to just a couple of attractions and usually were suspended in favor of a full operation during the busy summer season except for e.g. the Keelboats or Alice's Curious Labyrinth which were already historically limited to a "dawn till dusk" operation. Not so in 2009 however!

In an extremly obvious move to cut costs by reducing the number of cast members needed (as well as save maybe a nickle and a dime on actual hardware operating costs) ignoring the negative impact on the experience of the guests the staggered / limited operating hours have in fact been extended to more attractions than ever before for this year's high season!

Here a short excerpt(!) from reduced operating hours on July 8 and 9 (please note: this times might have been changed / adjusted in the meantime, also the list does not mention all attractions with reduced operating hours): in Discoveryland "Honey, I Shrunk The Audience" 10.00 am to 6.00 pm, Nautilus, 11.30 am to 5.30 pm, Autopia 10.00 am to 9.00 pm; in Frontierland "Phantom Manor" 10.00 am to 10.00 pm, Riverboats 11.00 am to 7.00 pm; on Main Street, U.S.A., the Disneyland Railroad 10.00 am to 10.00 pm. It should be noted, that as usual due to the nightly fireworks display all of Fantasyland anyway closes at 10.00 pm nightly (however, several attractions inside Fantasyland have even further restricted hours – not only Alice's Curious Labyrinth). In another cost cutting measure all of Adventureland also closes at 10.00 pm in the meantime – according to the huge signs posted at the entrance to allow for preparation of the Enchanted Fireworks. While certain areas close to the Castle might actually be afflicted by safety measures (on some days the hills and plantings to the left of the castle are actually sprayed with water prior to the start of the fireworks to prevent falling shells from starting fires), it is questionable whether something as the popular "Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril" coaster in a far off corner next to Frontierland really is still in the required safety zone for the fireworks. In anyway the result of the currenty policy is that especially after 10.00 pm the amount of operating attractions is extremly limited further increasing the number of guests lining up along the parade route for Disney's Fantillusion.

Another, even more extreme cost cutting measure has hit the circus train "Casey Jr." and the fairy tale boat ride in the back of Fantasyland. Despite it being busy summer season both attractions are currently open only Friday to Sunday. Obviously the signs at the entrance to the area are just declaring the attractions being closed (without posting any reasons) and not mentioning the system to avoid angering guests.

To make matters worse the resort is not offering guests any central information or schedules listing all limited operating hours. Guests will only learn about those (and which attractions are concerned) on the actual entrances to the queues of each attraction! Especially first time guests can be seen frequently approaching attractions in late afternoon or early evening only to have to turn around disappointed because the attraction is already closed for the day. While cost saving measures might be necessary the negative impact on the guests experience is extreme especially due to the way it is handled (without handing out any central schedules to guests) and may even be considered bad show already. Considering the elaborate character and detail that went into many of the signs announcing the operating hours at the entrance of the attractions e.g. at "Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril" or "Phantom Manor" it must be assumed that the staggering operating hours are here to stay for longer.

//http://www.dlp.info/News/2009/07/sorry-we-are-closed-not-yet-open/
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Anthony

Here's the list as posted by DLH Fan on Disney Central Plaza forum:

QuoteParc Disneyland (10h-23h)

Heures de Magie en Plus (EMH) : 8h-10h

Main Street U.S.A (8h-23h)

Disneyland Railroad - Main Street Station : 10h(?)-20h30 (dernier départ)

Fantasyland (8h-22h)

Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant : 8h-22h (EMH)
Peter Pan's Flight : 8h-22h (EMH)
Le Carrousel de Lancelot : 8h-22h (EMH)
Mad Hatter's Tea Cups : 8h-22h (EMH)
Dumbo the Flying Elephant : 8h-22h (EMH)
Les Voyages de Pinocchio : 15h-22h
Blanche Neige et les Sept Nains : 10h-18h
Alice's Curious Labyrinth : 11h-tombée de la nuit
Disneyland Railroad - Fantasyland Station : 12h30-20h30
"it's a small world" : 10h-22h
Le Pays des Contes de Fées : 11h-19h (20h si possible)
Casey Jr. - Le Petit Train du Cirque : 11h-19h (20h si possible)

Discoveryland (8h-23h)

Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast : 8h-23h (EMH)
Space Mountain : Mission 2 : 8h-23h (EMH)
Orbitron (Machines Volantes) : 8h-22h(?) (EMH)
Autopia : 10h-21h
Les Mystères du Nautilus : 13h30-17h30
Star Tours : 10h-22h
L'Astrosport Services Interstellaires : ?
Arcade Alpha, Arcade Bêta : ?
Chérie, j'ai rétréci le Public : ?
Disneyland Railroad - Discoveryland Station : 12h30-20h30

Adventureland (10h-22h)

Pirates of the Caribbean : 10h-22h
Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril : 10h-22h
La Cabane des Robinson : 11h-19h
Le Passage Enchanté d'Aladdin : 10h-22h
Adventure Isle : 10h-22h
La Plage des Pirates : 10h-22h

Frontierland (10h-23h)

Big Thunder Mountain : 10h-23h
Phantom Manor : 10h-22h
Thunder Mesa Riverboat Landing : 10h(?)-19h
River Rogue Keelboats : 10h(?)-18h
Rustler Roundup Shootin' Gallery : ?
Legends of the Wild West : ?
Disneyland Railroad - Frontierland Depot : 12h30-20h30
Pocahontas Indian Village : ?
Obviously subject to change and not to be taken as "official" opening hours.

...Because that's the only thing that annoys me here - these shortened openings aren't announced or listed anywhere for guests to easily check. It's fine to be told that Phantom Manor closes an hour before the park, ok, no problem, plan around it, but to walk all the way over to it and then be told "no, it's closed" is bad, bad park management. (I trying to avoid the "bad show!" cliché, haha)

Ideally these should be printed up inside the Programme.

smurfy74

i agree the times should be published, i dont have a problem with staggered opening hours as they make sense if you need to reduce costs due to lower guest flow etc, but knowledge is key and managing people expectations means happier guests. I hope Disney act quickly on their guest feedback. The casey jr and storbook land closure seems similar to the Autopia closures a few years ago as when i first started going to DLP Autopia was never open week days in September and for the last couple of years it has always been open, lets hope the rumoured fantasyland extension goes ahead and breathes life in to that area of the park

Aveen2008

This is a big worry.. If they are doing this in high season..does this mean rides will be closed for the whole day in some cases during off season?? Basically Casey jnr and the storyland boats are never goimng to be open now because they ahve rarely been open any of the times I have been there over the past 3 years! :(

and if they are trying to cut costs by doing this which definately affects their guests....are they also cutting down on everything else like cleaning staff, safety staff and other things that may not be even noticable to guests??

Big worry I think! :?
Luv Aveen xoxo

Riebi

I don´t think that this operating hours are a good thing.

Let´s look at the cost cutting aspect: OK it cuts costs. But the guests have a much worser expirience for a holliday they payed for. Much money!

If they have diffrent operating hours for the whole park they have to introduce diffrent passports. One for the morning hours and one for the evening hours. Cause the park has not the attractions open you have payed for.

In the summer season it´s horrible. I´ve payed much money for a stay at DLRP and Hotel New York. I knew it´s the summer season. I choose the summer season because there are no refurbs, all attractions are open, I get longer opening hours and a great nighttime parade and a great firework.
What I get for my money is a park where not all attractions are open, refurbs visible, a cutted parade and a cutted fireworks show. Thank you! Next time I choose march and safe the money.

I think the fanside of me could say: "OK we have a financial crisis and the must cutting somewhere"
But the guest inside of me who payed a lot of money for the summer season (and even every first timer) is very very angry about this point.

I don´t wanna plan my day at Disneyland. I don´t wanna have a look at a Map with opening hours just to say: Oh let´s do this and that during the next hour cause it will close...I will wander around while saying "Oh look over there is Casey jr/Pinoccio/Phantom Manor, let´s ride it!"

That they have no official overview about the opening hours is just a little point for me. (It´s just the limit that you stand in front of closed attraction after a long walk through the park) The problem is I don´t want to live inside of Disneyland Park as I live at my companies office. It´s holliday. Not make your time schedule.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Nicholas-c

I have to say, last week during my visit the operating hours were very odd, After 10pm there really wasn't that many rides people can get on, Star tours closed, HISTA closed, Autopia closed. In discoveryland that only leaves Space mountain and Buzz lightyear, Considering Space mountain was closed for 3 days of my visit, Buzz lightyear queue was through the roof, Something your average guest doesn't want. Certainly when Fantasyland and adventureland have closed at 10pm.

This thing kinda drives guests away, Certainly if there is rain/thunder meaning that the parade and fireworks are canceled, Guests disappear by 10:15, I got a photo of the castle and an empty main street at that time, No one around in the middle of the summer.

Keep all the rides open in the lands that are open, Keep Adventureland (or even just Indiana Jones) open until 10:30 or later, That is plenty of time to move guests towards Main street and that way space mountain, Buzz, PM and BTM dont get 60 min queues at 10pm.
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

QueenEm

What is the main board listing attractions saying in mainstreet? Is this at least being updated?
I really would have hoped that going in the first week of august as I will be (one week to go) that some sort of a guest-staff comprimise would have been reached. These are my four most important days of the year coming up!
Oh I wish... I wish I could be part of his world!

EDDY

It's a shame. :(
We're really thinking about to cancel in August and come in mid September.
Then: The crowds are less, the weather is most times good as well and you dont
have to queue as long.

Sure, no fireworks and Fanti, thats at the moment the only reason to go in August.
Why can't they just organize that a lil better? I'm sure there's a possibility, which won't cost as lot as many people think. Come on... 1000s of people paying entrance and whats up then? --Closing at 8,9,10 pm
no, this can't be true. For me, that's no "Summer Magic", if I can't ride PM at 10:55pm :P

How is it in the other parks round the world?
[size=80]1997 - July (my first visit ever!!! =) DLP\'s 5th Anniversary
2005 - September
2007 - March
2007 - September
2008 - February
2008 - March - Day Trip to Stitch Live Preview
2008 - May
2008 - September
2009 - February/March
2009 - March - Day trip - St. Davids Day
2009 - August - 18th Anniversary =)
2009 - 2010 - December/January
2010 - May [/size]

//http://www.filmparade-kanal.tk

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "EDDY"It's a shame. :(
have to queue as long.

The very reasons I go in September. I hope these staggered opening times arent permanent. I can understand them closing Casy's Railway and the Pays Du Something early as it moves the guests nearer to the gates, and means the CMs can get the park emptied quicker. But the rest is just stupid

Aveen2008

have to queue as long.

Sure, no fireworks and Fanti, thats at the moment the only reason to go in August.
Why can't they just organize that a lil better? I'm sure there's a possibility, which won't cost as lot as many people think. Come on... 1000s of people paying entrance and whats up then? --Closing at 8,9,10 pm
no, this can't be true. For me, that's no "Summer Magic", if I can't ride PM at 10:55pm :P

If you cancel now you will still have to pay the majority of your trip money as it is so close to the date now (august)...you do not get a full refund no matter how early you cancel but the closer it is to the date the dearer it is!...check this before cancelling!
Luv Aveen xoxo

bigrossco

yes, cancellation charges go up in a sliding timescale the closer you get to your holiday

i did have the cancellation charges somewhere but cant find them right now
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

davewasbaloo

This is why despite still having AP's that are good, the time and the money, we will not be going to DLP this August. It actually was the only thing to really complain about on our trip in May, but it had so much of an impact, we are not in a hurry to come back (rare).

As we said before, it is bad enough they are doing this (which credit crunch or not, should not be happening - people have paid their money in good faith), the worst bit is the lack of publication. My mother in law is still nagging me that we never made it to HISTA. We planned to do this on our last day, but we arrived in Discoveryland after 3, and it was closed.
since 2001 (many before that)

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Aveen2008"
have to queue as long.

If you cancel now you will still have to pay the majority of your trip money as it is so close to the date now (august)...you do not get a full refund no matter how early you cancel but the closer it is to the date the dearer it is!...check this before cancelling!

61+ days notice: 10% cancellation charge
8 to 60 days notice : 35% charge
3 to 7 days notice : 75% charge
2 days or less notice : 100% charge

smurfy74

Understandibly the current situation isn't ideal for anyone, i'm sure the management haven't implemented this because they wanted to, I feel its more because they need to contain costs. Despite thousands of people going into the parks, attendance is down meaning lower receipts at the gates. The fact we are in a recession isn't ideal either but they need to act responsibly to contain costs. The real issue is lack of info. When I go in seven weeks i will be sure to make a trip to City hall when we arrive so i can plan for any closures. The positive thing to take from this is that the management are being proactive about cost control whilst still doing loads of refurbs, i think they are making the right budgetary decisions, albeit they just need to tell people  :D

davewasbaloo

Closing the park a day or 2 a week would be preferrable and save money. This is rediculous, plain and simple. sure, we are in a recession, but this is irresponsible. Close down part of the hotels if bookings are light, offer new enticements for people to come. But this hurts the value of the park so much that long term fans like me are no longer willing to put up with it, and i have met a few families in our area that made their first trips this year, because of the staggered closings, they have come home with a bitter taste and are not sure if they will bother going back.
since 2001 (many before that)