[TDR] Tower of Terror (4th September 2006)

Started by Anthony, February 27, 2006, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kate

well i've seen the wdw one in the 'flesh' but not any of the others.  i can't say it looked plastic at all, in fact i think its great.

i think the tokyo tower looks fantastic - looks really eerie and unusual - i thought that was the point, people disappear inside the whole twilight zone thing.

anyway i was quite disappointed when i saw the design for ours i think it looks too 'nice' and clean and new!......but hey, we are all different, if we all liked the same things what would we talk about on here????
 :wink:
Kate, disneyholic who is having withdrawal symptoms!

Kristof

People, plastic between  ** ....  :-s

Not everyone has the abbility to express themselves perfectly in English.

I've been to WDW in september, so I guess I'm also entitled to have my own opinon on how their ToT looks like.
What I mean is... The materials used for ToT don't look that convincing TO ME.  The garden, the lobby, the effects, everything else is perfect, except for the façade IN MY OPINION.
ToT in Tokyo and DCA have a better look and feel, as far as I can tell from photos.  But that makes sense, since those are more modern.

Now this is clarified, back on topic... :!:

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"What I mean is... The materials used for ToT don't look that convincing TO ME.  The garden, the lobby, the effects, everything else is perfect, except for the façade IN MY OPINION.
I know what you mean - I've never been to MGM, but from looking at photos close-up, the tower does look a bit "crumbly" and "cheap".  I think this might actually be intentional though - these kind of materials would maybe have been used at the time the tower was supposed to have been built.  I have no knowledge of construction, but the MGM seems to use some kind of plaster-type material, whereas the DCA one seems more modern and stone-built...  Don't criticise me if I'm wrong here, please.

I think all the towers fit perfectly in their themed areas.  DisneySeas' is totally over-the-top and highly, highly detailed (to the point where it almost ruins it, like experiment is saying).  MGM's is more run-down and, I think, the most realistic of all of them - they way it sits there up on the hill with its sinister architecture and towers is brilliant.  The WDS (DCA) one, then, is much cleaner and more romantic.  It doesn't have much "damage" and actually looks very pretty and sleek against the palm trees and blue sky.  It fits perfectly in WDS.

I think whether the design of them is any good or not is all a matter of taste, as far as I can tell, they all have a lot of architectural value.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Tokyo tower finished - the parts still covered up will be the most different to the other towers (the large, extended window at the front being the most noticable), and these bits could help to bring together the design and make it a bit more manageable.

What if the MGM and WDS/DCA towers had never been built, though.  Would you still dislike the Tokyo tower?  I just think the reason some people don't like it is because they're used to seeing the very sleek, Californian, art-deco towers - the gothic style of the American Waterfront version is an amazingly different type of architecture, and a bit jarring if you're used to the art deco...

Skellington

Quote from: "raptor1982"
QuotePlastic?? If i didn't like the Tokyo better i'd be insulted! The CA is 100% ugly and the original ToT is just cool and totally not plastic looking

Let's keep it nice and friendly.

I am friendly, aren't I? I guess it's the way you here the text in your head.
*read it ver calm* If I didn't like the Tokyo better I'd be insulted! The CA is 100% ugly and..
*read excitement*  ..the original ToT is just cool *!!!*
* denial voice* and totally not plastic looking
The Pumpkin King

Dlrpfan

The 1 at mgm does look rather fake but it does fit into the scenery
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Anthony

New(ish) photos!

http://www.jtcent.com/disneysea/american/amwtot.html

I think it looks much better now that almost the entire building is uncovered.  It's still VERY over-the-top, but I think it fits together very well and the detail is fantastic.  I love the broken windows, those in particular are much better than the very open drop shafts the Paris/California has.

Kristof

The official site has been launced:

http://www.tot1899.com/index.html

Anthony

Brilliant!  I'm praying for an ad campaign even 10% as classy as that for ours.  I totally got the "feel" of the attraction just from that flash movie, even though I couldn't understand a word.  The amount of detail and effort put into this version of the attraction is very impressive - are we seeing the start of a new Golden Age of Disney attractions, with this and Everest?

Anthony

There's more stuff on the official website now, shame it's all in Japanese...

I noticed this very cool image on the main TDR website:

Does anyone know where I could find it in a bigger size?  It reminds me a bit of the newer DLRP visuals...

Construction update from July 12th:

It still looks amazing, but I still don't particularly like the look of the building.  Amazing to look at, but still not my taste.  I LOVE the signage and details though, they *are* my taste:

Loads more photos: http://www.jtcent.com/disneysea/american/amwtot.html

Dlrpfan

i think the tower looks a little gothic but think it will be highly popular
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Anthony

Quote from: "Dlrpfan"i think the tower looks a little gothic
I think that's the point! :wink:

This attraction is really going to test the imagineers though - they created a brilliant, popular story (and attraction) with The Twilight Zone ToT, can they do the same thing again with a brand new theme and without the Twilight Zone basis? :?