Trip Report 30.11.08 - 04.12.08 - Day 5 - with pictures

Started by Getyogrooveon, January 21, 2009, 09:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Getyogrooveon

So to the final instalment!

We were up early as were determined to get into Disneyland Park during EMH to ride Peter Pan (as had not managed due to the queues), so finished packing, dumped suitcases off at the hotel Disney Express counter and had breakfast, a photo with Goofy

and were into the park by 9am!

When we got to Peter Pan there we no queues, but on closer inspection that was because it hadn't opened yet due to a technical problem. As we were talking to the CM at the entrance, the boats started moving so I knew it shouldn't be too long. After about 10 minutes the CM opened the queue so we finally got a go. Abbey didn't particularly care for it last year, but this year she loved it! A quick go on the teacups and then we headed for the rope drop so we could run for Frontierland to see Father Christmas. It was whilst we were waiting that we became aware really how cold it was, and the rain started to fall quite steadily.

After the rope drop and quick "yomp" down through Adventureland (like a marching army of buggies and prams) we got to Santa's Village with only about 10 families in front, although we were queuing outside and it was pouring with rain. Father Christmas seemed to like talking and the queue took an age, taking 20 minutes just to get inside. I have to say however Father Christmas was superb. My daughter went and stood by him but Oliver, being a little too old, hung back. All of a sudden Father Christmas pointed at him and shouted "You! I remember you from last year! I brought you presents, you had better come here as well, now what was your name, I remember...." whilst I mouthed "Oliver" to him "ah yes, Oliver, sit on my knee". It was great and Oliver soon lost his embarrassment!

We got our picture taken together with Santa and then, as the weather was so bad, jumped on the train at Frontierland Station and headed towards Discoveryland.

Rachel looked around the shop whilst I took Oliver on Star Tours and then we headed for Honey! I Shrunk the Audience, which had not been open for the past couple of years. I was really pleased to hear the show was to be in English and there were about 50 English speakers and 25 others in the whole theatre. Having never seen the show in English before, I must say it seemed much better than I remember and the special effects were excellent, until the mice, and that really frightened Abbey who then wouldn't watch anymore.

After exiting it was only 10 minutes until the Lion King show, so we went in and managed to get seats on the far right of the stage, which we no wonderful, but a superb show anyway.

The rain was still failing (although slightly better) so we got the train again back round to Fantasyland

By this time the rain was light so we doubled back on ourselves to climb up the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse. No I should explain here that whilst I love rollercoaster, drop towers etc. I am scared stiff of heights unless I am strapped into something! Walking up this treehouse is my worst nightmare, I have only ever done it once before, although I am slightly better with heights these days so I thought I would give it a try, and I actually managed to let go long enough to take some photos this time!

We had a quick lunch in Au Chalet de la Marionette (not quite so crowded this time) and the Bavarian band were playing which was very pleasant indeed, before heading for Pirates, IASW, teacups, then Scary White and Pinocchio before heading for our final Parade sat on the stone benches again. Back into Discovery land for a final go on Space Mountain, Buzz and my first ever go on Orbitron before our 5.45pm reservation fro "dinner" at Plaza Gardens, sort of a tradition we have on the final day. The meal was as usual and the 6€ carafe of Red wine very pleasing. We were just finishing up as the Enchanted Candleabration was starting so I left Rachel and the kids so I could stand mid Main Street and film the lighting of the tree, lamps and castle from the centre to edit into the footage I had previously taken from the side. Just at the music was starting when the light the lamps the kids came out and Oliver came to join me mid Main Street for a cuddle whilst we watched and I filmed, which was really lovely.

We walked up Main Street to the photo shop to collect our Father Christmas photo for earlier and then back down though the arcade, where I wanted to take a picture of the crystal castle, although I was not pleased how it came out:

before heading back to Frontierland for a final go on Phantom Manor and Big Thunder Mountain.

We then had our final ride of the day and holiday on Indiana Jones before walking slowly backup Main Street. abbey and I had our usual cuddle and little cry stood at the top of Main Street waving goodbye to the castle before heading out of the park for another year (I'm afraid it might be 2), pass the village and to the nightmare that is the Eurostar terminal.

Goodbye Disneyland....

Goodbye Walt Disney Studios....

Goodbye Village....

Things that made this year great:

1. All of the rides were open
2. Tower of Terror
3. Stitch Live!
4. No extended family with us
5. Enchanted Candleabration
6. Longer opening times
7. Agrabah Café (should be higher in the list)
8. McDonalds
9. Longer clip of Chanté, C'est Noel in the parade (bring it back)
10. The Studios!

Things that made it no so great:

1. The prices
2. The exchange rate
3. The weather
4. The queues
5. Closing Casey Jnr/ Storybook Land after one day
6. No Minnie's Jolly Holiday show
7. No Studio Parade (I loved that Parade)
8. Poor quality of the food in the counter service restaurants
9. The darkness of the rides, especially Pirates
10. nothing else really...

I have loved the 15th Anniversary celebrations and am very pleased to have experienced them twice, especially seeing as the second time things were so much better. I love the Christmas season at DLRP, and somehow going at any other time wouldn't be quite right (although might have to explore this if the queues keep growing). Disney is so much more like I remember it from 1992 and even 2002, just bring back the Christmas fireworks and stay open later! Thanks Disney.

Thanks to all of you for allowing my ramblings, hope it hasn't been too boring, it has been good reliving some of things I wouldn't even necessarily tell the family.

Cheers!
"Eveything is automatic - this is Disney" [CM on the rollercoaster simulator in the Studios - Nov 2004]

05.92 Newport Bay
09.01 Santa Fe
11.03 Cheyenne
11.05 Sequoia Lodge
11.06 Cheyenne
11.07 Cheyenne
12.08 Cheyenne
08.10 Saratoga Springs - Walt Disney World
11.10 Cheyenne

The Butlin Boy

Fantastic report and photos, I especially love the Father Christmas part. I'm glad you all had a great time :)

Mr_B

Excellent trip report and great photos too. Many thanks for reminding us of the magic of DLRP  =D>

Mr_B
From the mansion on the hill
Shrieks of laughter break the still
Ghoulish figures start to wake
Makes your knees begin to quake

DLRP - We\'ve been there one or two times .....

ColdSun

great final part, I really enjoyed reading your whole report and of course looking at your pictures. The part about Santa made me smile a lot, I love it when people are really so much in character :D . Is there any chance you might upload that video you took?

Getyogrooveon

Quote from: "ColdSun"Is there any chance you might upload that video you took?

ColdSun, your wish is my command....

[dailymotion:295m6a29]k6LP7calzpk1CYV9oH&related=1[/dailymotion:295m6a29]

It's a long video to fit into 150mb for Dailymotion, tryingt o compress with H264 to see if it comes out better. Anyone know anywhere better to store videos than Dailymotion (YouTube is even worse in my opinion). Anyway, hope you enjoy!
"Eveything is automatic - this is Disney" [CM on the rollercoaster simulator in the Studios - Nov 2004]

05.92 Newport Bay
09.01 Santa Fe
11.03 Cheyenne
11.05 Sequoia Lodge
11.06 Cheyenne
11.07 Cheyenne
12.08 Cheyenne
08.10 Saratoga Springs - Walt Disney World
11.10 Cheyenne

Epcot_Boy

=D>  =D>  =D> This has been a great trip report =D>  =D>  =D>

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

Nala_84

Again, thanks for sharing the great report and wonderful pictures :)!
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]