Trip Report 30.11.08 - 04.12.08 - Day 1 - with pictures

Started by Getyogrooveon, January 12, 2009, 10:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Getyogrooveon

Hi all, finally got round to upping some photos so though would finally give a trip report for our (now annual) pre-xmas visit. When I say "our" I mean myself, Andy, my wife, Rachel and kids Oliver (12) and Abbey (4). We have previously always gone for the last week in November but thought this year would go one week later (as in 2007 Fantillusion did not run until December and that combined with 6pm closing made the evenings a bit miseable). We also decided this year to go on a Sunday, so we would get to see the Winnie The Pooh show and be back in time for my works Christmas party on the Friday  :D

We stayed the night previously at Ashford Travelodge (which was awful as usual) but learnt after last year and ate in Frankie & Bennys rather than the "cafe" at the hotel (which makes Disney food look good). We did however have the breakfast which was good value at £13 for all of us and we left in plenty of time to park up at the Eurostar terminal for the earlier than normal departure of the Disney Express. The Express was as nosiy and crowded as ever and gives that manic first start to the holiday worrying about getting kids, buggy, suitcases (and wife) on the train in the couple of minutes before the train pulled off. We had paid for the Express service even though we booked the hotel direct and train with Eurostar as this was £200 cheaper and booking all through Disney although we spent most of the journey worrying as the park tickets were not at Ashford or on the train and the Disney rep was less than helpful! Anyway off of the train and up to the Express counter and got our tickets and into the park, just as it started raining. We were worried about the weather, the first 2 years we went at Christmas the weather was bright, sunny and very cold, the last 2 times it rained (2006 non-stop for 4 days), so this was not a good start.

We knew it would be busy being the first Sunday in December, but we have never experienced anything like it was before in the 7 trips we have made:

Between 12.30 and 3.45pm when the Winnie the Pooh show started we had managed to get a (cold) meal at the Cowboy Cookout (and had to eat it outside in the rain) and that was it! We saw the Pooh show and then decided we would be better off going and checking in and coming back to the park later when the crowds had died down (it was open until 9pm which was great, if only this was every night, or better still have EMH at night). This upset me as I wanted to stay for the Parade (the Parades and Shows are Disney for me), but as alwasy the family comes first, so we headed back off for the Cheyenne on the bus, collecting our massive suitcases and then checking in - there is something about walking in to the Cheyenne lobby on a cold wet winter's day and smelling the fire.....

Anyway, as a change to normal, we were not in the block adjacent to the dining hall (as we always have been before),  but were in Wild Bill Hicock (I think - opposite the shop anyway) and had a lovely view of the teepees and river beyond. After unpacking and persuading the family we should make use of the late hours and eat in the Agrabah cafe in the park, we made reservations, and headed back into the park.

We managed to pacify my daughter with a quick go on the teacups (pretty much the first word she learnt to speak!)

And then it was time for our dinner reservations. I have neve eaten at the Cafe before (always been closed until last year and then only open during the day) and was not disappointed, and found the food and house wine to be cheap and of good quality and thoroughly enjoyed the setting, although there were only about 6 tables occupied in the main circular room. We had a leisurly dinner and really started to relax.

Because of this we also missed the Enchanted Candleabration (my favorite ever show) but when we emerged the park was really starting to quiten down. We went to see the dragon under the castle (it was closed for refurb from 01.12.08), which frightened the life out of Abbey and then walked around taking photos for a while, the rain had calmed down although it was now bitterly cold.

We then got our spot on the raised platform in front of the castle stage for Fantillusion which I know is not "Christmasey" but the park wasn't the same without it last year. Given than this was at the end of the day, I was suprised that the parade come dwon Main Street rather than coming from Fantasyland and up.

After Fantillusion we had a slow stroll back to the hotel along the river, stopping off at the launderette to get some ice for the bottle of brandy I had brought to enjoy in the room.

End of part one - apologies for going on a bit - bored the family to death now (bought a new camera to go with and took 750 pictures - although it is quite "complicated" so some of them not too good - and made both sets of parents sit through them - so both have banned anything to do with Disney  :lol: ). Will do next part tomorrow hopefully.
"Eveything is automatic - this is Disney" [CM on the rollercoaster simulator in the Studios - Nov 2004]

05.92 Newport Bay
09.01 Santa Fe
11.03 Cheyenne
11.05 Sequoia Lodge
11.06 Cheyenne
11.07 Cheyenne
12.08 Cheyenne
08.10 Saratoga Springs - Walt Disney World
11.10 Cheyenne

The Butlin Boy

Great report and photos so far, I'm really looking forward to the rest of it :)

SophieD

great start to the trip report Getyogrooveon! love all the pictures!!
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney

never2old

Great report so far! And great pictures, looking forward for more!!

I was there at the same time (well, we left on the Tuesday) - and also had dinner Sunday night at the Agrabah Cafe (around 18h I think it was). Love it there, and it's always so quiet!!

ColdSun

great start and stunning pictures, definetely looking forward to more :)...
I would like to eat at Agrabah Café as well, it looks really nice. And I understand that the Dragon frightened your little girl...

Epcot_Boy

Really enjoyable =D>  Thanks for that :wink:

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

Getyogrooveon

Thanks for your kind comments.

Never2Old can't believe you were in the Agrabah at the same time possibly, we got there about 18:45. The more I think about the restaurant, the more I like it. The atmosphere was beautiful and for a "disney buffet" the food was exceptional I thought, especially all of the cold salad items (couscous, pasta etc). I can't beleive that i is not more busy than it is, the food and setting is so much better than Plaza Gardens (and this is always full :? ).

Will up part 2 later......
"Eveything is automatic - this is Disney" [CM on the rollercoaster simulator in the Studios - Nov 2004]

05.92 Newport Bay
09.01 Santa Fe
11.03 Cheyenne
11.05 Sequoia Lodge
11.06 Cheyenne
11.07 Cheyenne
12.08 Cheyenne
11.10 Cheyenne

never2old

Quote from: "Getyogrooveon"Thanks for your kind comments.

Never2Old can't believe you were in the Agrabah at the same time possibly, we got there about 18:45. The more I think about the restaurant, the more I like it. The atmosphere was beautiful and for a "disney buffet" the food was exceptional I thought, especially all of the cold salad items (couscous, pasta etc). I can't beleive that i is not more busy than it is, the food and setting is so much better than Plaza Gardens (and this is always full :? ).

Will up part 2 later......

Yep, we were there at the same time  :D ... I agree with you, I'd rather have Agrabah than Plaza Gardens anytime! It's one of the best restaurants in the resort! I try to go there on every visit now, it's always quiet, and the food is delicious!! Did you try their lentils salad? Hmmmmm

Getyogrooveon

Yep, the lentil salad is beautiful.

Seems strange, but back when I first visited DLRP (or Eurodisney as it was then) we had buffet in the Newport Bay on arrival and I tried lentils, couscous, ratatouille and smoked salmon for the very first time!

I just wish the Café was open for dinner everynight, not just when the park stays open late.

05.92 Newport Bay
09.01 Santa Fe
11.03 Cheyenne
11.05 Sequoia Lodge
11.06 Cheyenne
11.07 Cheyenne
12.08 Cheyenne
11.10 Cheyenne

Javey74

Great Trip Report and Photos so far, I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of it.. =D>  :D