New building for Tourisme Information

Started by Remco K., October 04, 2008, 06:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remco K.

I didn't hear about this before, but these are two pictures I took Friday the 3rd of October:

Apparently it's getting a new building.

Riebi

I know something about that refurb. But That looks bigger then expected  :shock:  I was thinking they just make a normal paint job.

Thanks for sharing!
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

I didn't know that this building belongs to Disney. Is the building too small or is it in bad condition? Otherwise they should use the money for refurbishments in the parks, in the Village or in the hotels.

Riebi

Quote from: "dagobert"I didn't know that this building belongs to Disney. Is the building too small or is it in bad condition? Otherwise they should use the money for refurbishments in the parks, in the Village or in the hotels.

I´m not sure. Maybe a joint venture  :mrgreen:  But I think it´s the official tourist information cause they have a own website (district 77).

Remco K.

I don't think it's owned by Disney, but probably Disney had their part in the design. It's a pretty extensive construction though, as all of the old building seems to be gone. The entire metal construction seems to be new as they seemed to be loading the metal pieces out of the truck.

pussinboots

Yeah, those definitely look like Disney's green refurb walls, but I too had always assumed it belonged to... Well, someone else. The French tourism board? The SNCF?

Let's just hope it will be tasteful.

Didn't the old one have these oval mirrors around it with images of castles on them?

Nicholas-c

If this is where i think it is then it isn't owned by DLRP its in the area owned by french goverment
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Riebi

That´s the old one.

The new one seems to be green :?:  :!:   I must say if it´s green it will makes me happy. I don´t like the white of the RER station and the old kiosk.

And yes I think you´re right nicholas. It´s the french government/SNCF area. They have diffrent lampost and this hawkers. I remember that DLRP couldn´t do much against them cause they where not on the resort area or something like that.

Maybe Disney EDLI or WDI designed the new kiosk. I think they have designed the old one and made it matching to the RER station and the fantasia gardens (ornaments but white)

pussinboots

Quote from: "Riebi"That´s the old one.

The new one seems to be green :?:  :!:   I must say if it´s green it will makes me happy. I don´t like the white of the RER station and the old kiosk.

Ah, well, they're round. I was close, haha.

The whole station, including the old kiosk, seems to be a contemporary designer's approach to Disney iconography. It has allusions to medieval towers and Victorian stations, but in the stylized manner Europe seems to require of all new architecture. Unlike Hong Kong, which was allowed to go full-on faux-Victorian.

I've never really loved it, to be honest, especially those hideous lampposts you mentioned... But again, it's just the French/European way.

Green sounds nice.

Pete's Dragon

They started it when I was there. It took them less than a day to knock together the temp. one. They should hire those guys to refurb the park, then the closure notices would be in hours, not days.(in a perfect world)

Riebi

Quote from: "pussinboots"Unlike Hong Kong

:P  :lol:

I must say I don´t like this modern style station, too. I would prefer a more victorian station but they seem to learn out of their faults. It wasn´t very clever to build a "contemporary" modern station and village. The problem with "contemporary" things are that most of them aren´t contemporary (even the contemporary hotel at WDW doesn´t seem contemporary for me today in any way  :lol: ). Yes the europeans like their mix of old and new. But all this old and new mixes are in a high standard. For example the pyramid at the Louvre is one of the contemporary contemporary things. It would be contemporary in 10 years, too.
But they have forgotten that the europeans like their old victorian, Wilhelminian, gothik buildings and they don´t like this cheesy white style which get totally ruined by little medieval towers. The station was never high quality architecture, seems more something to saving some dollars. The village was wonderful at its time but nothing really contemporary, as we know today. But we shouldn´t start such a discussion here   :lol:

No let´s take a look to the "hopes". The disneytheque destribe the new style as more Disney-typical. And they have a new pic to show what they mean:

//http://www.disneytheque.com/phototheque/disneyland_resort_paris/disneyvillage/081006/002.jpg

green  :mrgreen:

pussinboots

Quote from: "Riebi"
Quote from: "pussinboots"Unlike Hong Kong

:P  :lol:

I must say I don´t like this modern style station, too. I would prefer a more victorian station but they seem to learn out of their faults. It wasn´t very clever to build a "contemporary" modern station and village. The problem with "contemporary" things are that most of them aren´t contemporary (even the contemporary hotel at WDW doesn´t seem contemporary for me today in any way  :lol: ). Yes the europeans like their mix of old and new. But all this old and new mixes are in a high standard. For example the pyramid at the Louvre is one of the contemporary contemporary things. It would be contemporary in 10 years, too.
But they have forgotten that the europeans like their old victorian, Wilhelminian, gothik buildings and they don´t like this cheesy white style which get totally ruined by little medieval towers. The station was never high quality architecture, seems more something to saving some dollars. The village was wonderful at its time but nothing really contemporary, as we know today. But we shouldn´t start such a discussion here   :lol:

No let´s take a look to the "hopes". The disneytheque destribe the new style as more Disney-typical. And they have a new pic to show what they mean:

//http://www.disneytheque.com/phototheque/disneyland_resort_paris/disneyvillage/081006/002.jpg

green  :mrgreen:

Hmmm, so far so good. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to look somewhat like the PanoraMagique kiosk or the Ben & Jerry's stand.

I wonder how much input Disney had in this (the station) anyway — I'm guessing the SNCF and the French government are not the type of institutions that think it would be cute to have a company like Disney design an important station on their venerable network. If the thought occurred to them at all, it was probably accompanied by visions of TGV trains traversing "it's a small world" with ecstatic-looking Disney characters throwing glitter on disembarking passengers, visions that give Gallic people nightmares.

No, I think the building just essentially rolled off the conveyor belt of new European train stations, giving it the same glassy, modern look it would have given to any up-and-coming small town from Aix-en-Something to Something-on-Trent to Somethingburgenhausen— but with those little medieval towers and clocks thrown in in an unprecedented act of generosity toward a megalomaniacal American company moving onto French territory.

And I'm not saying they were wrong. But from our or Disney's point of view, it is a little hard to swallow indeed (almost as hard as the street vendors that came with it, haha).

Riebi

Quotebut with those little medieval towers and clocks thrown in in an unprecedented act of generosity toward a megalomaniacal American company moving onto French territory.

:lol:  Nice said  :lol:

Kristof

Well I'll be... it's a Hidden Mickey!  Looks like ELDI's working on this one!  :wink:

Riebi

like the new design much more then the old one.  =D>