Mobilization against the creation of F1 circuit

Started by benjicool, September 28, 2008, 12:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

Well I think it's a good idea, the size of a Grand Prix Circuit would not interfere too much with the expansion area, as the track could be built on the outskirts within reason, fill the middle sections with various attractions, using walkovers or subways.  I agree with the richness of the sport, I'm a Ferrari supporter myself, yes blazing red.  Why don't they theme the circuit with Pixar's 'Cars', maybe add Lightning McQueen.. :D/  :D/

I think it would work, especially the revenue it could bring to DLRP and those talking about the pollution and noise, it's only for one weekend of the year as far as Formula 1 goes.  Though the track could be used for other events for the rest of the time.. :wink:  :D

ford prefect

A circuit needs far more than F1 to be profitable.

My local circuit is Silverstone which has so far hosted the following big events this year:
FIA GT (super cars such as Ferrari, Maserati, Lamboghini etc)
Le Mans Series (as in the 24 hour race sports cars)
Britcar 24 hour race
Superbikes (motorbike racing)
Formula 1
Formula 3
Touring Cars
Drifting
Historic meetings.

Note that pretax profits (excluding F1) was approx 8million pounds.  When F1 is factored in Silverstone made a £100000 loss.

A high profile circuit like one at DLP would attract MotoGp, A1GP, possibly even Stock Cars or IRL.

The circuit would be very busy.  

With my motorsport fan's hat on I would love it, however it would not be good for Disney.  Even so I would still use the circuit.

Javey74: I see you are a Ferrari supporter.  My wife and I are Mclaren fans and would like to express our condolences for last weekends utter foul up by the red team :D/
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

ford prefect

Quote from: "pussinboots"I hate the whole idea. The noise, the pollution (of both air and image), the clientele, the beer... .

Hi, I didn't really notice this aspect of your post!  Motor racing fans are by and large not drunken louts wrecking hotel rooms and being sick on the pavement.

I have been to more motor racing events than I care to count, my wife was interested in F1 long before I was and our children aged 4 and 2 happily come to races with us and thoroughly enjoy them.

Motorsport fans tend to be a civilised lot, and do not indulge in the kind of partisan rivallry you see in many other sports(although there is always a friendly banter!)

The "clientele" as you call us are a pretty family friendly bunch, some of us even love Disneyland Paris as much as we do racing.

Javey74

Quote from: "ford prefect"Javey74: I see you are a Ferrari supporter.  My wife and I are Mclaren fans and would like to express our condolences for last weekends utter foul up by the red team :D/
Yeah, bring back Ross Brawn.  But then again aren't Mclaren just a siver Ferrari this year..They got all they needed to know last year didn't they ?.... :mrgreen:

ford prefect

Fair point!

pussinboots

Quote from: "ford prefect"A circuit needs far more than F1 to be profitable.

My local circuit is Silverstone which has so far hosted the following big events this year:
Britcar 24 hour race
Formula 1
Formula 3
Touring Cars
Drifting
Historic meetings.

Note that pretax profits (excluding F1) was approx 8million pounds.  When F1 is factored in Silverstone made a £100000 loss.

A high profile circuit like one at DLP would attract MotoGp, A1GP, possibly even Stock Cars or IRL.

The circuit would be very busy.  

With my motorsport fan's hat on I would love it, however it would not be good for Disney.  Even so I would still use the circuit. [...]

Thanks for your objectivity. I appreciate that the idea must be tempting for a motor sport fan like yourself, but indeed it would not exactly add to the allure and atmosphere at Disneyland Paris and its hotels — especially if it should be home to all that activity you listed. Again, think of the Newport Bay Club...

Sorry about the beer joke — I suppose I'm just thinking of a specific portion of motor sport fans. The thing is, though, the resort (especially Disney Village) is very susceptible to any large celebrations that thrive on testosterone. Disney Village was a complete nightmare during the soccer championships this year. There were groups of loud, boisterous men with beer in plastic cups everywhere, and even in the parks the queues were filled with tipsy, smoking folks in a specific genre of celebratory spirit. There is nothing wrong with these things per se, but at Disney one expects a certain family-friendly, wholesome atmosphere — more Christmas than the Fourth of July, so to speak.

I just don't see this circuit do a lot of good for the atmosphere at the resort. But I may just be a judgmental, pigeonholing bastard.

ford prefect

My wife and I were in the middle of Disney Village with our little boy during the World Cup Finals, now I am not a football fan but I really appreciated how much everybody enjoyed the occasion.

I agree with your core point:  Motor racing is not a good thing for DLRP. I appreciate your reasons for not wanting an F1 race, and I do believe that it won't happen.

However:

I won't sign a petition because that would make me the biggest hypocrite in the world, and, if it happens I will also be the first person to be buying tickets.  

No problem with the beer joke!  (Although my wife and I have been known to get very drunk in Billy Bobs before we had the children!!!)

Still, it makes for a good forum discussion. :lol:  :lol:

Riebi

Quote from: "ford prefect"A circuit needs far more than F1 to be profitable.

Britcar 24 hour race
Formula 1
Formula 3
Touring Cars
Drifting
Historic meetings.

That´s one of my biggest points that I was thinking about. A circuit isn´t normaly just F1 a week. It´s a business and I don´t think they spend all the money for one week.

I haven´t anything again F1 personally. But I have everything again F1 at DLRP. I wanna make my personaly magical holiday there. I like to drive in and see all the nice planters etc. It´s for me a perfect place to be without anything perturbing. A circuit at DLRP would be a very ugly thing for me. And that for many reasons.

The view: Sorry but I like to stay at NPBC and I know a lot who like to stay at SL. I like to have a NICE look out of my window. I don´t pay this high price (for a 3 * hotel) just for watching a big racing circuit that doesn´t botter me in any way if I´m at Disney. Not very magical. "Look honey, that´s the big racing circuit, and that´s the big vip area for the racing structur and that over there is the big grandstand where all the little people can look the big races" Thank you. Welcome to reality, away from the magic.

The noise: I had the last time a room at NPBC that faced to WDS. And I must say: You can even hear the noise of the stunt show. And we´re not talking about a F1 race. Just a little show at the park farer away then the circuit would be. I don´t wanna hear motor noise in my holidays. Thank you again and welcome to reality again.

The enviroment thing: DLRP makes big really BIG adverts with their enviroment programms. I can´t take one of this thinks for serious with such a F1 circuit inside of DLRP. Sorry but saying "we make a enviroment friendly circuit" won´t do it. Planting some trees isn´t that what you expect today under the label enviroment friendly. That europe. You even get a bad view if you take your paper to the normal waste can.

There are some more but I stop for today  :lol:  

Let me simply say that this could really destroy my holiday and that would be an absolute cause to claim my money back. And yes I would do it! :evil:

Why must a circuit be in the Resort "Ring". Why not a property a bit away from DLRP. Let´s say 5 km or something like this. They even could use the good infrastructur and let the resort stay that magical place that is it. :roll:

And for all who wanna have a F1 attraction park: Go to Nürburgring. They built it there for you. No problem. But let Disney stay Disney.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Riebi

This WOULD destroy my holiday magic:

//http://www.valeurope-san.fr/info/FR/Formule_1_%3A_enfin_les_plans/1670/060111

Don´t know what to think about it. Looks so weird. Maybe they should use Main Street and the roads of WDS too.

And it looks a bit that Val d´europe is a bit sceptical too...

Willow

It looks like they have tried to leave some space for a 3rd park, only small amount of space though.
From a F1 point of view im not a fan of the track layout.

Riebi

Quote from: "Willow"It looks like they have tried to leave some space for a 3rd park, only small amount of space though.

Oh maybe they could create a very tiny small theme park next to the circuit. And maybe they should theme it a bit to the circuit like a big parking lot and some buildings around...eeer....give me a moment? Wasn´t that Walt Disney Studios at opening day?

pussinboots

It's a disaster.

dagobert

Why is Euro Disney SCA allowing this?? Is Disney a supporter of this project, I know they do not invest, but why is Euro Disney SCA not against this stupid project.

What is the mother company "The Walt Disney Company" saying about the race track?

Ecclestone wants a F1 grand prix at DLRP and a few months later there is already a plan.
I also watch F1 races and I like it, but not at DLRP. There is really no connectin between Disney and Formula 1. I really don't understand it.  

The neighbouring villages of DLRP are always complaining about the noises of the fireworks, but a formula 1 race is no problem?

Have you seen the new hotels on the plan? They look exactly the same like the Newport Bay. So is this an official plan?

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "ford prefect"I just don't see this circuit do a lot of good for the atmosphere at the resort. But I may just be a judgmental, pigeonholing bastard.

Pussinboots, while I am not happy at the prospect of the circuit being there, please be advised F1 is not Nascar. F1 is actually an upper middle class and upper class sport. The tickets are often in excess of $500 for a race, so it's not like US motor sports.

Still, I think this is a bad move for the resort and would prefer the 3rd park, water park and hotel expansion of the masterplan.
since 2001 (many before that)

ford prefect

From a track design point of view it is not brilliant, making too much use of the existing public roads.  

I fail to understand why they need to use the public roads, since they are not really wide enough and would requiire the construction of fairly hefty catch fencing and armco.

There is plenty of space to build a circuit that is fully self contained without spilling over onto the road infrastructure.  This layout makes the circuit useless for other events, andtherefore a rather large white elephant.

The use of the other space is good, however I still don't believe it will happen.

Is it a disaster?  If it spills on to the roads then yes.  If it is self contained and well thought out then no. However DLP will not be a fun place to be if you don't like motorsport in the week preceeding and the week following the race.

I have said before that Disney have no experience of motorsport.  I forgot that Imagineering designed the Pit Lane Park touring F1 theme park to great popularity amongst F1 fans.

Also the Richard Petty Speedway at Walt Disney World held the first ever Indycar race.

It might be worth considering the schedule currently used for F1.

The French Grand Prix usually accompanies the British Grand Prix in either late June or early July.  June is the preferred month historically.

This would put any "Disney GP" out of the busy holiday period and less likely to interfere with holidaymakers plans.

The circus roles into town on the Monday before the race and leaves on the Sunday night.

A street circuit (of which this could be said) requires a build programme that for a new circuit would take 24months after planning has been granted and 3months intensive effort in the run up to the race.

Once the infrastrcture is in place the preparation each year would be approx 6 weeks.

The catch fencing and armco would need to be in place 4 weeks before the race for inspection by the FIA.

It would take about 2 weeks for the structure to be removed giving a total impact of 8 weeks on resort activity.

The concern for me, looking at the layout is the road leading to the partner hotels would need to be reduced to one lane for the duration and that is what suggests it probably would be rejected.