Is this True ?

Started by Owain, August 08, 2008, 04:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

I was reading the trip review of Theme Park Review when they went to DLRP and a member posted this.

QuoteUnfortunately, the Walt Disney Company has little to no control over what Euro Disney SCA (the company that owns DLP) do with their budgets and decisions! For example, they were supposed to do like all the other resorts and add Jack Sparrow to their Pirates... but the budget was cut and it has never been a priority since.

In 2005, when Space Mountain was closed for a few months to allow the "Mission 2" makeover, they had the opportunity to replace track. The ride at that point already needed it... They also promised brand new trains. What Euro Disney gave them the money to do? Silver paint over the old trains and that's it!

Based on the Indiana Jones coaster at DLP, I would not expect any track change or major rehab on Space Mountain until something bad happens. Don't look too closely at the Indiana Jones coaster loop... It was originally a "temporary", "5 years ride until we can build Space Mountain". Well, the "5 years ride" celebrated its 15th birthday this year!

Did you enjoy Crush Coaster? Hope you got the credit as after ONE year of operation, some outside consultant came in, looked at the state of the ride and judged that the ride has already aged 5-10 years! That's what you get you get for buying a portable model, running it year round with 14-15 cars! The sad thing is that Imagineering charged Euro Disney 60 millions euros (close to 100 millions $!) for the Toon Studios expansion.

Kristof

Speculation with some truth behind it.  It's true that Euro Disney SCA is not operated by the Walt Disney Co. thus it has to fund all its new attractions, refurbs and other operational costs itself, so in my opinion it's normal that they are responsible for the major decisions.  That said, all decisions have to be approved first by Jay Rasulo, head of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

pussinboots

I once read that every tiny change Euro Disney wishes to make needs to be approved by the Walt Disney Company. But I suppose that leaves Euro Disney free to not do things. Which may be why they can get away with not refurbishing things for years, or not cleaning up as much as they need to... It's sad, but it all comes down to that eternal debt.

Let's just hope none of this affects the safety on the rides. Think what a mortality on Indy due to negligence would do for their reputation... And it would be tragic, obviously.

daisylovesdisney

if this al is as a bit treu, i hope that dlp steps up a notch and to make thing good, becouse it would be a sham to see them colose on there 20th or25th aneversory. i go as a frecualent visitor, and i have somtime sonderd what they have painted, ore really whated to long to pain, like for example:

i whent last weekend, and my friend and i were waithing to get into pinockio, and we lookt at eachother and gon like: "omg did you see that i beleve theye finally got som new paint on the mural......" o this looks like theye just done it.........
and then you enter the shop, and it looks like theye have dimmed the lichts so much you have to squees you eyes to see the pritty colors of merchandizing.

thas a nothing thing that dlp is far bihind of merchandizing....... i can still bye things i have bought ther 4 years ago!!!!!!! issen't that upseurd?! i maen at least change every year, but don't leave it on the shelvefs for 4 years, take it down, and try it again laiter!

thanks for letting me rant... :oops:

RnRCj

Is the part about Crush's Coaster true? It seems a bit unrealistic to me. I would've expected to age a bit faster than the average Maurer Söhne spinning coaster, but not 10 years already.

I'm also worried about Indy now. :?

daisylovesdisney

i hate to say, but i expexted mor out of crush and coaster, but i have no idea about the tracks :cry:
and indianna looks fine to me, just as fun as ever! 8)

Kuzco

We rode Crush's Coaster last summer and the ride was just as smooth as it was when it first opened. Can't say the same thing about Space Mountain or Indy, coasters that are actually as old als they claim Crush to be based on the state of the track.

It might all be true just as well, but doesn't bother me at all. I do believe all rides in Disney are safe and wel maintained, despite the hard 'work' they have to deliver day in and day out.
No touchy!

Alpop

I read this report about a month ago on an american forum.
Personally I took it with a pinch of salt. After all I belive that the expectation of "Euro Disney" is very low outside of Europe.

I also think that it was just to start a bad mouthing discussion. Take a few facts  + some hear say = "Yeah I knew it was that bad"

PetiteSirene

Quote from: "daisylovesdisney"and indianna looks fine to me, just as fun as ever! 8)

The problem with Indy has been there for a long time. At least it was there 2 years ago when I first went, and was there at least 2 years before that because the problem was there when my Husband still worked there. Infact if the problem is the one I know about then you wouldnt notice a difference in the ride quality.

I find it worrying that they havent addressed this issue and am hoping the scheduled refurb time this month will look into this problem... but since it hasent seemed to have been addressed in the past from what I have read I am not too hopeful.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

RnRCj

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"
Quote from: "daisylovesdisney"and indianna looks fine to me, just as fun as ever! 8)

The problem with Indy has been there for a long time. At least it was there 2 years ago when I first went, and was there at least 2 years before that because the problem was there when my Husband still worked there. Infact if the problem is the one I know about then you wouldnt notice a difference in the ride quality.

I find it worrying that they havent addressed this issue and am hoping the scheduled refurb time this month will look into this problem... but since it hasent seemed to have been addressed in the past from what I have read I am not too hopeful.

What's wrong with it? Surely if there was a serious problem the ride would be closed, but you make it sound quite bad. :?

PetiteSirene

I dont really want to say the problem on here for 2 main reasons.

1 - Is because although I trust my husband with all my heart I havent seen it for myself so cannot confirm if this is indeed the problem that is implied in the OP.

2 - I have a little suspision that although the problem sounds really bad it probably isnt as bad as it sounds otherwise Disney really would have closed the ride down. But its a problem that they need to keep an eye on.

I can only imagine that when the ride is closed down (like it is this month) they assess the problems and see how bad they are. Since Indy will be shut for nearly 2 weeks this month I hope they do some serious refurbs.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

RnRCj

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"I dont really want to say the problem on here for 2 main reasons.

1 - Is because although I trust my husband with all my heart I havent seen it for myself so cannot confirm if this is indeed the problem that is implied in the OP.

2 - I have a little suspision that although the problem sounds really bad it probably isnt as bad as it sounds otherwise Disney really would have closed the ride down. But its a problem that they need to keep an eye on.

Wow - Could it really be that bad? An accident is the last thing DLRP needs. :?

I hope this doesn't sound to nosy, but could you possibly tell me what the problem is via PM? Or is it so bad that it could stop me from riding it again? Don't feel you have to. I'm just really curious. :lol:

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"I can only imagine that when the ride is closed down (like it is this month) they assess the problems and see how bad they are.

It worries me that something hasn't been done about the problem in previous closures.

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"Since Indy will be shut for nearly 2 weeks this month I hope they do some serious refurbs.

I hope they do too. :shock:

Frederico

O.K.

So how bad can this problem be. At Disney I am pretty sure the rides are thoroughly tested, if for no other reason for insurance purposes, if this problem has been missed on other occasions it is either a "glitch" or it is nothing serious ie structural.

If the problem was a major issue the ride would be closed in a heart beat.

I for one will be riding it very soon and will not be worried one little bit. I have entrusted my familes lives on Disney rides for the last 15 years without a worry.
Talkin \'bout the midnight rambler

Remco K.

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"I can only imagine that when the ride is closed down (like it is this month) they assess the problems and see how bad they are. Since Indy will be shut for nearly 2 weeks this month I hope they do some serious refurbs.
This got me a bit worried. I also heard about some problem with the Indy track a few years ago. I didn't think to much of it, untill I read about it again over here...

I'm also not gonna say what I've heard a few years ago, because this would only be speculation from my side without any proof. It's just something I was told.

Kristof

C'mon people let's face it.  Do you really think DLRP's Health & Safety department would keep an attraction open if it's dangerous for park guests.  They're the same people that turned off the water effects because the water is infected with a minor bacteria.  They also fixed Le Rocher Qui Bascule to the ground and place those hideous yellow cones all over the park, even when it's not slippery at all...

The upcoming refurb at Temple of Peril is to raise a wall.  Since last year, all rooftops that can be accessed by people (thus CM's) need to have a protective fences (quite a few have already been installed: Constellations, the Fantasyland buildings, all the Disney Village buildings, etc).  When the fence is too obvious, Health & Safety brings in EDLI to make the fence part of the theming, like by raising a wall (already happened at Peter Pan's Flight not so long ago).  There you go.  :)