Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RnRCj

Not to mention the awful capacity on these things.

Take the half-pipe. It carries only 16 people each time. Lets say the ride cycle will be 1 and a half minutes. Add another two minutes or so for people to get on/off and secure the restraints.

*gets calculator*

That roughly 275 people per hour. No where near enough for one of the busiest parks in the world.

Anyone know offhand what the throughput is on Crush so we can compare?

davewasbaloo

According to this source, it is a paltry 930 people per hour:

http://www.ultimatecoaster.com/spring.asp?CID=786

Compare this to RNRC at 1588

TOT - 2000

Phantom Manor 2000-2400

PotC - 3000

No wonder the queues are crazy.
since 2001 (many before that)

CafeFantasia

Interesting numbers. Here are some more...

Toy Story Mania! - 1200 pph
Soarin' - 1400 pph
Indiana Jones Adventure - 2400 pph

Why are Disney in Paris so intent on building cheap, low-capacity rides?

Willow

Crush's Coaster will be more than 930 per hour. A Standard Maurer Söhne Xtended SC 2000 is 930 per hour.

The dark ride section would have added more capacity, not much, but some.

The Halfpipe will be 1000-ish. (Depending on it being an Intamin Halfpipe or a Zamperla Disk-O)
The Music Express will be 1500. (Mack)
The Parachute Drop will be probably around the same. (Intamin's website doesn't have the details)

RnRCj

Quote from: "Willow"The Halfpipe will be 1000-ish.
That would involve people boarding the car, securing the restraints, going through the whole ride cycle, and leaving the car - all in under one minute. Just not going to happen. :(

I told everyone in my group last week what was being built behind the the construction fences whilst we were on the Tram Tour, and I'm not kidding, every one of them reacted with something along the lines of "oh........ that's rubbish".

-breeno-

Quote from: "Alan"Why are Disney in Paris so intent on building cheap, low-capacity rides?
You answered your own question there.  Because they're cheap ;)

I'm still very confident over this project but the capacity rate numbers are interesting.  I think though the halfpipe will be more towards the 1000 mark than 200/300.  Also you've compared them with rides than are well know for their high capacity, i wonder if we could get hold of info about smaller scale rides than are more like the TSP ones (Cars, teacups, flying capets (if anyone goes on that :P ) etc).
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

davewasbaloo

But the point with Disney attractions is they need high capacity attractions, especially ones for the whole family as far as WDSP is concerned.

WDW's tea cups have a capacity of 1100 per hour.

Magic Carpets is 1000 (and look at the horrible waits for them since Crush opened - now some may say, that's why we need more, I would offer that a proper dark ride would be a better investment).

Cars Race rally is 900 - 1000 (again with very long waits)

These carnival rides are also not a lot of fun in winter. At least the tea cups are under cover, but non of the carnival rides for WDSP are.

davewasbaloo

At the risk of sounding like a DCA basher (which for the record, I like DCA), building nothing would have been better than building something. At least there is then the prospect of something amazing going in later on down stream.

Not every attraction has to be an E ticket, but WDSP needs all the help it can get, and I think this is frankly the opposite of helping. Heck, I can go on highly themed spinners at LEgoland for a fraction of the trouble and price.

Willow

I'm totally with you guys on the capacity issue, I think the only thing we agree on relating to Toy Story Playland!

If Disney go for the Mega Disk-O from Zamperla/Intamin Half Pipe each ride cycle will be around 2 and a half minutes.

kiki_304

Quote from: "RnRCj"Not to mention the awful capacity on these things.

Take the half-pipe. It carries only 16 people each time. Lets say the ride cycle will be 1 and a half minutes. Add another two minutes or so for people to get on/off and secure the restraints.

*gets calculator*

That roughly 275 people per hour. No where near enough for one of the busiest parks in the world.

Anyone know offhand what the throughput is on Crush so we can compare?

I don't think TSL capacity will be too much of a problem judging by some opposition to it here.  I don't think any of you will be visiting that part of the park will you seen as you think it will be awful?   :D

Just joking btw.

EDDY

I've heard something really interesting during my last trip in August.
I've made a Guided Tour and talked a 'lil bit with the Tour Guide.
I also told her about the rumours etc... She said that she doesn't know the
theming of the upcoming attractions, but she knows, that there are only 2 attractions being built. Do you think that's reliable?

She also said that Disney is planing to open a 3rd Gate before the end of 2017, because of a contract with France or something like that...  :?

Let's wait, hope and see :D
[size=80]1997 - July (my first visit ever!!! =) DLP\'s 5th Anniversary
2005 - September
2007 - March
2007 - September
2008 - February
2008 - March - Day Trip to Stitch Live Preview
2008 - May
2008 - September
2009 - February/March
2009 - March - Day trip - St. Davids Day
2009 - August - 18th Anniversary =)
2009 - 2010 - December/January
2010 - May [/size]

//http://www.filmparade-kanal.tk

Anthony

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"These carnival rides are also not a lot of fun in winter. At least the tea cups are under cover, but non of the carnival rides for WDSP are.
Oh yeah, now that's a real issue!

I've been meaning for a while to post a topic wondering why they never even attempted any covered walkways at WDS. But more than that, before the tiny new covered spaces of Hollywood Blvd, there wasn't a single space, outside of attractions or restaurants, to hide from the rain.

So now, imagine when we're enjoying [sic] Toy Story Playland in 2010, stood right at the back near RC Racer. It starts to rain. You suddenly need the toilet. You're suddenly hungry. You suddenly want to buy some crap merchandise. Well, sucks to be you! You'd better be a good runner.

Although in truth at least the Monkeys in a Barrel tunnel at the back will provide some shelter. And all of the attractions have fairly large and nicely customised queue buildings, which is to be applauded. So at least you'll be waiting 4hrs, needing the toilet, something to eat, for RC Racer, partially undercover.

Nala_84

@ EDDY: Are you sure she doesn't know the themeing, or she doesn't want to confirm it to the visitors? ;)

And do you mean a 3rd park with the 3rd gate?!? Until 2017?! Not sure about that, but I'm always curious to see something new at DLP :)!

Back to TSPL: Is there really nothing more to see behind the fences yet?! I know that Disney is always fast in building attractions, but it'd be great to see something before 2010 (and praying it will look good and not tacky)!

...written by one of the 5 guys that are curious to see TSPL and will maybe like it  8)
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Kristof

Quote from: "EDDY"I've heard something really interesting during my last trip in August.
I've made a Guided Tour and talked a 'lil bit with the Tour Guide.
I also told her about the rumours etc... She said that she doesn't know the
theming of the upcoming attractions, but she knows, that there are only 2 attractions being built. Do you think that's reliable?

She also said that Disney is planing to open a 3rd Gate before the end of 2017, because of a contract with France or something like that...  :?

Let's wait, hope and see :D

Lol.  There will be three attractions.  Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop, RC Racer and Slinky Dog's Zig-Zag Spin. And lots of photo locations.

Don't always believe what tour guides say.  When I did the WDS tour, the tour guide said he found most of his information on a website called WDSfans.com  :lol:

never2old

Quote from: "Kristof"When I did the WDS tour, the tour guide said he found most of his information on a website called WDSfans.com  :lol:

Brilliant!  :lol:  :lol: