Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Two things I like: (Am very positive this week, no?)
- The area loop! ("Exclu mondiale" video) Almost Discoveryland-ish, a bit heroic and adventurous. Very atmospheric, should really do a lot.
- Themed trash cans! ("Le land et les attractions" video 0:06) It's the red-white-orange thing that's supposed to look like a wooden block or something to that extent. I know it sounds like a trifling matter, but once again it's something that was ignored at the park until now.

The peeling stickers on the RC Racer are cute, yes. Just too bad about the exposed ride track...

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "ed-uk"Well TTT, you're not going to change Disney Theme park plans past, present or future posting on this forum. So I don't know what point you're making now. Write to Disney HQ in America and tell them you don't like it. I like WDS.

I commented the pictures... no point at all in that. I´m not going to write Disney. I´ll just visit other parks.

tubbsy

Quote from: "DopeyDad"Did you notice the 'peeling' stickers by the Start entrance, that's a nice touch don't you think.
See no I hadnt, and this is where you see the thinking where you know you're not in"any old park" but a Disney park :D Every time you watch a Disney film you see something new, everytime you look around an area in a Disney Park you spot something new-I'm gonna have sensory overload in a few weeks with so much "new" for me to see! :D

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

PetiteSirene

Quote from: "DopeyDad"We run the risk of being the 'comic book guy' if you'll pardon the mixed analogies, stuck in what we believe to be somehow 'right'.

I could not agree more! We as fans are the ultimate critics and nothing Disney can do will please all of us, because we all like Disney for different reasons. We all grew up in different Disney Eras and like the Star Wars fans your ideals on the films and way the franchise should be is based around what you and your generation grew up with and loved.

Quote from: "DopeyDad"(I'm trying to think of something created just for the fans that worked and so far can only think of Firefly and Serenity)(geek mode off Kryton :oops: )

Anything made for the fans alone is going to be difficult to work with. Red Dwarf, the new one I couldnt help but HATE and its because I loved the early Red Dwarf, the ones that were witty, where Kat was vain and Lister a total slob. Its true that as time went on fans started to hate the later series because of the dramatic changes from witty to simply silly. HOWEVER I know people out there who love the later series and the newest one. Its their choice but it was made for the fans and a lot of the fans hated it anyway.

Quote from: "DopeyDad"I think Disney has this problem too, it's success creates hugely loyal fans who have formed their love of it on their own (past) experiences.

And thats the exact problem, everyone has their own past experience with Disney. There is no point sitting here and saying someones wrong because they love something that someone else doesnt. Disney is all about the future, moving forward, family entertainment and adding that sparkle of magic to someones day. DLP still does that, with or without TSPL. All I can say now is I can only imagine the sea of delighted kids faces as they enter the new land!

Quote from: "tubbsy"See no I hadnt, and this is where you see the thinking where you know you're not in"any old park" but a Disney park :D Every time you watch a Disney film you see something new, everytime you look around an area in a Disney Park you spot something new-I'm gonna have sensory overload in a few weeks with so much "new" for me to see! :D

I can't wait to go hidden Mickey/character hunting there! :D

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

CafeFantasia

Seeing the area with all the lights on at night, and hearing that heroic Discoveryland-esque music, I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's definitely got that Disney feel to it. Finally, an immersive (360 degree) area for all the family, in the Walt Disney Studios Park :-)

The rides aren't really for little kids, are they? When I first read about Toy Story Playland, I thought the rides really WOULD be just for kids. But these are big rides, aren't they. They're rides that you can go on as an adult, without feeling too embarrassed, unlike Dumbo :-)

DLP-Photos.com

After seeing those vids I'll try and sum up my view on the area (hopefully getting a first hand look in december). For a change I will begin with my positive things:

- Area loop - sounds great as everyone has said.

- The general public will sure like it. It has their beloved characters and they are not concerned about the stuff I will mention later on. Hopefully it could give the resort some extra money making TSPL a good investment financially.

- The 360 experience that you seem to get is positive - it does have some illusion breakers (read further on).

- The grenery - as said before this is nice and needed for WDS.

And now the negative things:

- I'm still saying that the theme is too tight and it has too much resemblence with Toon Studio regarding the lack of the studios feeling.

- The rides and mainly capacity/height restrictions - this could present families with small children with a problem and then we still have a lack of things for the little ones as all of you (incl. me) are asking for.

- The giant Buzz/Rex - it's a bit too much for me and I guess the easy choice to make people like the area. We saw how people behaved around the Cars statues - how can you expect them to behave any different around Rex/Buzz? I fear that we either ends up with restriction bars around these characters, some very ugly characters after a short while or a refurbishment budget way too much focused on TSPL.

- The illusion breakers withing the land - yes, the scale of the Monkey Barrels - they were so close on making a perfect 360 experience but how can a 10 cm Monkey barrel contain that many toys (not the merchandise but they interior of the little shop) and how can they be bigger than Buzz and Rex? and how come Rex is smaller than Buzz? I know this is the little things, but it is these little things that bring that extra magic to the Disney experience in my opinion.

All in all TSPL seems to be an OKAY addition, but nothing more and nothing less. I still say they should have safed the money for future projects and used some of them now to give us some top notch summer entertainment and much needed refurbishments to beloved sights in both parks (Pirate ship, Hollywood Boulevard).
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

dagobert

Quote from: "forza_united"After seeing those vids I'll try and sum up my view on the area (hopefully getting a first hand look in december). For a change I will begin with my positive things:

- Area loop - sounds great as everyone has said.

- The general public will sure like it. It has their beloved characters and they are not concerned about the stuff I will mention later on. Hopefully it could give the resort some extra money making TSPL a good investment financially.

- The 360 experience that you seem to get is positive - it does have some illusion breakers (read further on).

- The grenery - as said before this is nice and needed for WDS.

And now the negative things:

- I'm still saying that the theme is too tight and it has too much resemblence with Toon Studio regarding the lack of the studios feeling.

- The rides and mainly capacity/height restrictions - this could present families with small children with a problem and then we still have a lack of things for the little ones as all of you (incl. me) are asking for.

- The giant Buzz/Rex - it's a bit too much for me and I guess the easy choice to make people like the area. We saw how people behaved around the Cars statues - how can you expect them to behave any different around Rex/Buzz? I fear that we either ends up with restriction bars around these characters, some very ugly characters after a short while or a refurbishment budget way too much focused on TSPL.

- The illusion breakers withing the land - yes, the scale of the Monkey Barrels - they were so close on making a perfect 360 experience but how can a 10 cm Monkey barrel contain that many toys (not the merchandise but they interior of the little shop) and how can they be bigger than Buzz and Rex? and how come Rex is smaller than Buzz? I know this is the little things, but it is these little things that bring that extra magic to the Disney experience in my opinion.

All in all TSPL seems to be an OKAY addition, but nothing more and nothing less. I still say they should have safed the money for future projects and used some of them now to give us some top notch summer entertainment and much needed refurbishments to beloved sights in both parks (Pirate ship, Hollywood Boulevard).

Thanks for the good review. You have said everything that was on my mind as well.
We planned a trip to DLRP for Halloween to have a look on TSPL but I think we will save the money for Anaheim next year or for Ratatouille in 2012.

I have to admit that some parts of TSPL look fine, especially the Slinky Dog ride.

I would have also saved the money for future projects or for refurbishments, like the pirate ship. Nevertheless many people will like the addition and I'm fine with that, but I think the new rides will cause many problems with families, because many of their young children will not be able to experience the rides. Hopefully TSPL will bring some money to the resort, but I doubt it. History has proven that it needs a big E-ticket attraction to pull in the crowds. In 1995 it was Space Mountain and for the first time EDSCA earned some money. In 2007/2008 it was TOT that contributed to DLRP's record attendance.

Off topic: While I'm writing this, I have seen some TV spots of German themeparks and they are way better than DLRP's. It's really time to produce some great TV spots to attract people to the resort.

DopeyDad

:thumbs: i think the Pirate Ship already has an announced refurb.

PetiteSirene

Hasnt Hollywood Boulevard just been referbished?

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

ed-uk

Anyway most people want new rides and attractions and refurbishments, it's not one thing or the other, most people want both. It's a balance. Most theme parks like to come up with something new every two years to encourage people to come back. And I don't think DLP could build something on the scale of Space Mountain or TOT every couple of years.
Ed & David

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "DopeyDad":thumbs: i think the Pirate Ship already has an announced refurb.

Yes, I know, but when I went in october 2008 it started to need one and in 2009 it was just as sad looking as today. The planned refurb should have happened a long time, but that is a different story.

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"Hasnt Hollywood Boulevard just been referbished?

If that's true it must have been after I was there last week or a really bad refurb. All the "stickers" were peeling off and it really looked in bad state when up close. Pretty much the way i felt about the pirate ship in 2008. Lets hope this will get fixed a bit faster.

Quote from: "ed-uk"Anyway most people want new rides and attractions and refurbishments, it's not one thing or the other, most people want both. It's a balance. I think most theme parks like to come up with something new every two years to encourage people to come back.

Correct, but the question is - does Disney have to come up with something just to come up with something? Everyone I know going to Disney is positively surprised to see something new when they go, but they go just to get away and get that magical feeling. New attractions doesn't mean this as a fact, they could do, but so could refurbishing the magic already there. And in this case I prefer that option.

But great to see so many different views - it would be a boring world if we all agreed :)
/Nicolai

PetiteSirene

Just checked and as of Aug 3rd the Boulevard has been refurbed as seen in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9488 Its looking great now (photos at the bottom). I know a lot of refurbs have been scheduled so it looks like a lot of money has been put aside to do these. The castle and the Pirate ship refurbs will not be cheap! :s

Its true Forza, its great to see so many views. I like to keep an open mind, I am going in 6 weeks and will be sure to let you guys know what I think when I go! :D

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

ed-uk

Forza, I don't think Disney would regard TSPL as just something for the sake of it. WDS was crying out for more rides.
Ed & David

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"Just checked and as of Aug 3rd the Boulevard has been refurbed as seen in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9488 Its looking great now (photos at the bottom). I know a lot of refurbs have been scheduled so it looks like a lot of money has been put aside to do these. The castle and the Pirate ship refurbs will not be cheap! :s

Its true Forza, its great to see so many views. I like to keep an open mind, I am going in 6 weeks and will be sure to let you guys know what I think when I go! :D

The Hollywood Backdrop has been refurbed, but look at this photo - the stickers are still peeling:

Quote from: "ed-uk"Forza, I don't think Disney would regard TSPL as just something for the sake of it. WDS was crying out for more rides.

Quote from: "ed-uk"Most theme parks like to come up with something new every two years to encourage people to come back.

I hope not, and I do not think so either. I was just commenting on what you said (look above), that made it sound like a theme park should create new attractions in order for people to come back. I was just asking whether this was needed for Disney or if they were out of this league...
/Nicolai

DopeyDad

I'm feeling quite optimistic about the parks based on DLRP managements recent decisions, it looks like they want to grow their way out of recession and whilst some of the current cuts are painful it should leave the company in a really strong position once the general economic picture improves over the coming years. And to still see any investment in the customer experience (TSPL) and what I think is the biggest round of refurbs in a long time has to be encouraging. With Rat in 2012 and maybe a better economic clime ina couple of years, we could see even more substantial investment and a return of entertainment such as Lion King etc.

but yes, I am an optimist, but a happy one  :D