Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbiad

Classic AMERICAN toys. They were never very big in Europe.

I would have been nice if they were made of something more recognisable to Europeans, like Lego, or Duplo or K'Nex. Of course this would require a big mess of copyrights and liscencing, but it would achieve the films/lands aim of childhood nostalgia.

DopeyDad

I feel it still fits as the 'character' toys in the movies are very american also.

Kristof

And you are supposed to be in an American garden too, Andy's. ;-)

tubbsy

As  for Lego and copyright-Lego are making Toy Story toys (and pretty cool they are too :) )  Dont shout me down but TBH I like them  :) I can see it as part of the big picture. They look similar to magnetix and I get they are sticking to the theme that its Andys garden.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "Columbiad"Classic AMERICAN toys. They were never very big in Europe.

I would have been nice if they were made of something more recognisable to Europeans, like Lego, or Duplo or K'Nex. Of course this would require a big mess of copyrights and liscencing, but it would achieve the films/lands aim of childhood nostalgia.

Imagine the same issue but in Hong Kong Disneyland. These toys are only knows from movies outside America. How many persons in China grew up with classic american toys? Disney and co did not think hard enough when they came up with the idea for this land.

Kristof

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"
Quote from: "Columbiad"Classic AMERICAN toys. They were never very big in Europe.

Imagine the same issue but in Hong Kong Disneyland. These toys are only knows from movies outside America. How many persons in China grew up with classic american toys? Disney and co did not think hard enough when they came up with the idea for this land.

Yeah, but people in China didn't even grow up with Disney characters like we did, so I don't think it's a branding issue.  

In my opinion, the lamp posts look colourful and toy-like enough for people to make the connection with Toy Story Playland, despite the fact they know the brand Tinkertoys or not.  Lots of people won't know what Lincoln Logs are either, but as long as they look like giant toys, it'll be fine.   :)

Riebi

I don´t have any problem with the lamp posts. It´s simply a point someone wouldn´t expect at WDS: theming.

Everybody can clearly see that it´s something toylike, something to built things with, something to play. So I can´t see where the point is.  :mrgreen:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

luke85

But 'Toy Story' is set in America, so the toys in the land will be American as they were in the films. Why would Disney want to put a load of European toys in WDS' version of the land? It wouldn't make any sense. The same thing can be said for putting Chinese toys in HKDL' version.

Columbiad

Fair dos. :D Sorry.

penfold12

And just for the record... I used to have them as a child!

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "Kristof"

Yeah, but people in China didn't even grow up with Disney characters like we did, so I don't think it's a branding issue.  

In my opinion, the lamp posts look colourful and toy-like enough for people to make the connection with Toy Story Playland, despite the fact they know the brand Tinkertoys or not.  Lots of people won't know what Lincoln Logs are either, but as long as they look like giant toys, it'll be fine.   :)

True, but when it comes to attendence in both WDS and HKDL both parks have been two huge... two mistakes. In about one year we will know if the classic american toys helped the french resort.
I don´t know about Paris but in Hong Kong people warn me about how aweful HKDL is. WDS hasn´t been doing much for Paris either.

What both WDS and HKDL needs is not toys from America, Europe or China, they need amazing rides never seen before. We are talking two failures in a row!

SM:M3

From WDSfans twitter;

Coming together now

Anthony

You'll have to click here for that: http://twitpic.com/1fy1p7

The top of the parachute drop has improved a lot since I last saw it, there's extra green cladding of some kind around the sides of the arms where there were just open railings before, making it look much bulkier and oversized now, more like a plastic toy than a mobile phone mast. Compare: http://www.dlrptoday.com/images/2010/03 ... spl_10.jpg

Disneydavid

Little update of saterday...

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

JelleP

Great photo David!
But what's that strange red thing on the left? :roll:
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]