Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Sadly Timmy Timmy Timmy, only a small percentage of European Disney fans really know what the Disney difference is all about. But when the Disney CEO doesn't even know anymore, well, frankly expect more of this stuff. I am trying to find some new hobbies in the meantime. The heartbreak was just too much to endure.
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

^ Well, age will have something to do with it as well. It's not all bitter old people like us around here.

Martyn

I thought somebody mentioned on another page that there was to be large character models, Rex etc, I cant see any in that artwork?

luke85

Quote from: "Martyn"I thought somebody mentioned on another page that there was to be large character models, Rex etc, I cant see any in that artwork?

Rex is over by the Blue monkey barrel

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "pussinboots"^ Well, age will have something to do with it as well. It's not all bitter old people like us around here.

True, but I probably would have only been excited about it up to the age of about 12. Even as a kid, New Orlean Square, Adventureland, Frontierland and Tomorrowland had far more appeal than Fantasyland. And compared to TSPL, Fantasyland is the most awesome thing ever.

luke85

I'm not hugely excited by TSPL, in fact I think the money could have been used for far greater things. But it's well on its way now, and the best we can do now is to try and salvage something from this expansion. The area will hopefully be better themed than many original areas of WDS, which is surely something to be positive about? This will hopefully signal a change in WDS Imagineering whereby more and more themed areas will be added to the park in the near future.

The attractions themselves might not be to everyone's tastes, and are certainly not Disney's best works in terms of Imagineering, but they will help to even out the capacity of the park.

Whilst I'm still not overly enthused about the TSPL, I am still intrigued to see how it turns out.

davewasbaloo

I disagree (no surprise). I would argue that WDSP was better themed opening day than this. At least when it opened, it felt like a Studio. And the ToT expansion added to this too.

But the whole Toon Studios and now TSPL was a huge waste, and horrid theming. It is cheap canival tac, the lot of it, including the overrated piece of junk that is Crush coaster.

Anthony

Can you stop this "European fans" thing? It just comes across a little bit rude.

Quote from: "luke85"Whilst I'm still not overly enthused about the TSPL, I am still intrigued to see how it turns out.
Great post. Intrigued is the word.

Columbiad

Quote from: "luke85"Finally some HQ concept art! Courtesy of WDSfans.com

Link: http://www.photosmagiques.com/wdsfans/n ... ighres.jpg

If we get everything that's in this concept art, then I think the themeing of this area will be it's saving grace.

Wooow. Look rather good, I must say. Although it's a shame all concept art looks the same nowadays.

The "grass" is a bit disapponting though. I was expecting grass alá Honey, I Shrunk The Kids!, with huge blades.
Also - where is Buzz, Ham, Bo-Peep and the aliens?? Surprised they aren't to be seen.

But I do think it looks very tidy. It may lack originality and imagination (and innovrntion), but frankly, it's progress and it'll do for making WDS bigger and better.
I rather like Toon-Studio. It's DLRP's answer to Toontoen, and I thought the concept of 'where toons go to shoot thieft films' was great, but it doesn't seem to have materialised.

I do love that picture through...I think I've found a new desktop image :P :D

TimmyTimmyTimmy

What is WDS supposed to be? To me and most others it looks like a place where Disney dumps rides they can´t fit in Disneyland. Nothing really fits in WDS. It has been a terrible idea from the start.
There once was a time when people saw Disneyparks as something worth travelling a long distance to visit. Nowdays it is something one visits when there is time over on a trip abroad or something.
WDS is just a mess. How on earth can anyone here say it looks good? It is not a matter of taste anymore. Can´t you see it looks like ****?!
Disneyland Paris is awesome. But WDS is the worst Disney park ever created. A few good rides does not make a good park.

Here is something for the desktop:
//http://a.media.global.go.com/parksnews/downloads/photo_TDS_MH.jpg

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Anthony"Can you stop this "European fans" thing? It just comes across a little bit rude.

Then how would explain the difference? Less informed? Less experienced? Ignorant?

DopeyDad

I think that you are trying to be insulting Daveisalwaysmoaning

davewasbaloo

Not at all, I am trying to always understand the differences in how all the resorts are run, the whys and the whatfores. There is a clear difference in the way DLP is run vs the other resorts, some things better (original design, some of the table service dining etc.) and some things worse (TSPL).

At least I am trying to understand why than taking personal pokes at people. I also love travelling around the area including using the trains.

FWIW, I perhaps try to point out concerns in the stupid hope that there will be improvements. Sadly, I am seriously thinking more and more about selling our villa on the golf course or ignoring DLP exists when we go there.

luke85

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "Anthony"Can you stop this "European fans" thing? It just comes across a little bit rude.

Then how would explain the difference? Less informed? Less experienced? Ignorant?

I don't think you need to mention where people come from at all. You can't bunch everyone together and claim that "European fans" just don't get it. Do all American Disney fans have the same opinion as yourself? Probably not, as everyone has their own thoughts and feelings about the parks. Don't assume all European Disney fans are, as you so nicely put it, "Ignorant"

davewasbaloo

As a social scientist, it is important to cluster different social types, in fact it is a necessity to make decisions on what to do next. It happens all the time in Business (marketting), Social Care, Economic Policy, Health Care etc.

The reality is a form of ignorance (ignorance means not knowing), what proportion of DLP visitors have been to other Disney resorts? What proportion have only been going to DLP in the last 5 or 10 years? What proportion of DLP visitors can only draw comparitive referrence with steel coaster/fun fair/ Merlin type parks? I would wager the majority of fans fit more into those and therefore do not know what Disney used to be capable of.

Then again, there is also some potential that maybe stupid iron and steel rides and character shows are all that we should expect from now on because that is what the masses want? I hope not.