WDW | New Fantasyland expansion

Started by Remco K., July 21, 2008, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Wow, these concept arts are great. It looks like I've missed quite a lot last week. Fantasyland at WDW really deserves such a makeover. I was so diappointed when I visited WDW.

I really hope that Little Mermaid will make its way to DLP's Fantasyland, too.

GinoIsAGoofy

Yes i'm so happy to hear (read) this.
the fantasyland in WDW is the worse of all.
all the atraction are in the style of the caslte.
the castle is nice.
but the rest is like a white wall whit the sign of the atraction.
only the mair maid lagoon is not in that theme.
and dumbo .

but what i don't see are the plans for a better Its a Small World.
all buildings of the Small world's are those beautifull toyish, buildings whit all lot of pink collours our white whit silver and gold accents.
the WDS version is also a white whalle whit a big hole.
and a little Small World building in side.

i realy like the idea to build more houses of the prinses.
the dumbo idea is realy great to

and i can't wait to see to first pictures.
lets see in 2012

charlied

A newer concept art has been released. (Found on Progress City USA, where there is also a much bigger version)

Gareth

wow what amazing concept art iv never been to wdw but when all this is complete i may have to make i lil trip :D

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

CafeFantasia

Here are some crops I did of the new (more detailed) artwork:

Willow

First look at a 3D model of the expansion:

Larger: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/wp-content ... dmodel.jpg

Stitchkingdom.com

dagobert

Although the model looks great and WDW's Fantasyland really needs an improvement, I'm not happy with the direction the expansion is going. The new Fantasyland focuses just too much on the princesses.

WDW is also on the cheap side, so I think that some things of the expansion will get scrapped. Hopefully not TLM ride.

pussinboots

I'm not sure. On one hand, it looks exciting for obvious reasons — The Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland needs a makeover like Louis XIV needed modesty, and well, it involves Gaston's tavern — but I agree with Dagobert that it all seems so princess-focused, so very Walt Disney World circa now.

I mean, mass-producing Dumbo rides... Turning those glassy-eyed bimbo princesses from the bedsheets into live characters... (They had personalities in the films, did they not...?) The Beauty and the Beast ballroom everyone wants to see as an overpriced character buffet... And let's not forget Tinkerbell's new multi-ethnic, fashion-loving friends. They deserve something at least the size of Big Thunder Mountain.

They're completely, unabashedly, aiming for that lowest common denominator of the provincial family of doodah pudknockers from Pocatello, Idaho who've wheeled out their daughter for a princess makeover while probably not a single member of the family could name an actual princess, alive or dead. As they probably exist in the minds of those in charge. It's that whole plucky Extreme Makeover team furnishing the castle suite all over again. Which means Walt Disney World is drifting even farther apart from Disneyland, which is increasingly aiming upwards on the cultural ladder.

I mean, I don't blame them for being business-like (as they are in fact a business) and for trying to sell some Tinkerbell dolls, but this is a bit much!

So I'm kind of glad this isn't happening to Paris or Anaheim. Although obviously the Little Mermaid ride could be forgiven...

Quote from: "Anthony"To be honest I'd hate it if Paris' Fantasyland was like this - all meet 'n' greet non-attractions, double Dumbos and pixie hollow merchandise tie-ins. Thank god for our real attractions like the canal boats, Alice's Curious Labyrinth, etc.

Yes, quite.

charlied

This might be an old model. Look closely at the Pixie Hollow area, it looks like a Mater's Junkyard Jamboree/Cars Race Rally ride. You can even make out circles that that the vehicles (I'm guessing they're fairies or something) are rotating on. It wasn't included in any artwork so either its a scrapped idea or a new phase 2 idea.

lil-shawn

Quote(I'm guessing they're fairies or something)
not fairies it is this little rat with that waggon from the movie  :D

the model looks great, but as postet above, to much is princess related and nothing really great.

sometimes i get the feeling that disney lost its way and don´t believe in theyre work. i think they are affraid to make attractions with an originally story like BTM, POTC ect. i think this will put people also in the parks and not just the movie stuff...
if you look at all the expansions going on you see just 2 attraction with an non movie based story! the rest ist Carsland, Fantasyland expansion, little mermaid, toy story playland, toy story mania, cinderella walkthrough, silly simphony swings, maybe ratatouille, maybe carsland for DHS, monster inc coaster for DHS.

dagobert

Quote from: "lil-shawn"if you look at all the expansions going on you see just 2 attraction with an non movie based story! the rest ist Carsland, Fantasyland expansion, little mermaid, toy story playland, toy story mania, cinderella walkthrough, silly simphony swings, maybe ratatouille, maybe carsland for DHS, monster inc coaster for DHS.

Which two attractions do you mean? I think the new Fantasyland attractions are all based on movies and the attractions in California either.

charlied

Quote from: "dagobert"Which two attractions do you mean? I think the new Fantasyland attractions are all based on movies and the attractions in California either.

Mystic Manor and Grizzly Mountain at Hong Kong aren't featured on a movie- although they're not exactly new ideas, just different stories for Phantom Manor and BTM.

dagobert

I didn't think about the expansion in Hong Kong. I'm sure that these attractions will be great!

luke85

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the HKDL's expansion goes! I'm also excited for WDW's Fantasyland, although there are a lot of Princess focused "attractions".

The whole part I don't agree with is the Tinkerbell section, but I guess TWDC want to use it as an area to market their Tinkerbell movies. As far as the movies are concerned, I don't like Tinkerbell speaking. I know that probably sounds a bit odd, but to me, part of her charm in Peter Pan is that she can't speak and her personality was conveyed by how she moved and her mannerisms, it made her really unique.

pussinboots

Quote from: "luke85"The whole part I don't agree with is the Tinkerbell section, but I guess TWDC want to use it as an area to market their Tinkerbell movies. As far as the movies are concerned, I don't like Tinkerbell speaking. I know that probably sounds a bit odd, but to me, part of her charm in Peter Pan is that she can't speak and her personality was conveyed by how she moved and her mannerisms, it made her really unique.

That doesn't sound odd at all to me. And have you seen her new outfit?

I know we're supposed to be adults here and let the little girls have their fun, but this is just a cheap, quick way for Disney to make a buck off their underdeveloped capacities for recognizing crap. Tinkerbell was better off as the spot of projected light she was in the original play.

But according to Al Lutz, the Tinkerbell franchise isn't doing as well as they had hoped. So maybe the whole thing will blow over.