Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Askew80 on October 18, 2015, 08:37:07 AM
Hi, thinking of applying for easy access pass as my son recentlynhad a severe broken leg and still going through physio and all the walking and standing will be difficult.over the 4 days. 

Question is hoe would this work fir rest of group as be 6 of us, parents and 4 children all his brother and sisters are under 9.  Would me or my wife be able to go on within and rest of group queue  in normal line? Read somewhere they will allow hos brother and sisters to join him? So then it would just be me or my wife that misses out? Thanks in advance

With a lifelong disability you get a green card allowing that person plus 4 companions as a maximum, my son has cerebal palsy we visit in large groups too but we take turns as they don't allow mre than 4 companions. Some temporary disability still get a card used to be orange years ago allowing that person plus 1/2 companions, take a GP letter as they always ask for proof even If obvious what is wrong. But it will help your son out a lot hope all goes well  :D

nathalie

The temporary dissability card is still orange to this day.
And allows you 1 carer and 99 % also *not* useable for special parade/dreams spots (depends on the CM garding the spot though).

rebecca20

I have to say that the Disabled pass rules are a complete joke - we decided we wouldn't bother after speaking to an English family that had the most horrendous time getting a pass (it took them 2 hours - despite the fact the lady was paralysed waist down!) we then saw a group of 8 french teenagers using a pass when only one had a broken leg. DLP need to seriously get there act together.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

nathalie

I only get an orange pass "temporary", yet, I have already about 15 orange passes from the past 3 years lying around, as they refuse to give me one for the entire period of my Dreams AP.
If my dissability is temporary, then why 3 years later I still request one?  :/

So yeah ... all depends on who helps you also I think.

polar vixen

we've always found the pass to be fantastic, and never  a problem getting one but always gp woth a doctors letter, a diagnosis letter and a dla letter.  They are careful about checking throught all documents, but never a problem.  They did restrict us from having more than 1 per disabled in parade spots, so my hubby had to stay outside and while it obviously would have been nice for us to stay together, I could happily respect this as the CM was being strict and keeping non-disabled out who kept trying to sneak in. 

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: rebecca20 on October 18, 2015, 01:36:22 PM
I have to say that the Disabled pass rules are a complete joke - we decided we wouldn't bother after speaking to an English family that had the most horrendous time getting a pass (it took them 2 hours - despite the fact the lady was paralysed waist down!) we then saw a group of 8 french teenagers using a pass when only one had a broken leg. DLP need to seriously get there act together.

Hmmm? That's not very Disney, Disney? I must admit they do seem to let "French" have more companions or socit would seem. When we waited for ratatouille for 30mins (longer than what the normal que was) when there was a group of 10 yes 10 Infront I questioned this. I mean not one of them required the use of the disabled car, in the end they got them to go in a regular car like the elderly couple that were Infront of us aswell. I couldn't understand it at all I asked to take my son on a regular car but told no because they need wheelchair user on that certain one for health and safety Incase of evacuation. Which I understand, people can still use the fast pass line with a disabled pass but why they were adamant to wait longer and go on the disabled one is beyond me?  ::) we only rode ratatouille twice because of this, this was my sons 2nd turrn. It's a shame it's his favourite ride! But they seriously need to sort this. Situation, my son has autism aswell and half an hour is way too long especially when the que was saying 10min this particular morning.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: nathalie on October 18, 2015, 01:29:19 PM
The temporary dissability card is still orange to this day.
And allows you 1 carer and 99 % also *not* useable for special parade/dreams spots (depends on the CM garding the spot though).

Some guests try and use it for parades still, I saw a lady very angry about the fact she couldn't on a trip last year. We've only ever used it once for dreams in that section because we like to stay as a family or with friends rather than watch it alone. Plus if my son has a meltdown it's not easy to get out that middle section  ::)

nathalie

I got mad the first time I wasn't able to use the area, because no one had ever told me you couldn't with the orange.
Because before they had always let me in
So if we don't know?
Turns out, the person who gives you the card must stamp it on the back 'parade'.
So I can understand people getting upset not being let in the area, as I had about 10 passes already, and none of those times it had be explained to me.

twentythingamabobs

I do think it's a bit daft that if there are 3 of you in a party then 1 of you has to stay outside the rope when watching Dreams. Especially when the area is practically empty! Some CMs do use common sense and allow the extra person in, but some of them are really really vigilant. The last CM at Dreams had his torch out the whole time looking for people, if they came close to the rope he was straight over and making them move. But there were people standing smoking and he didnt challenge them? I know which is the most bothersome behaviour! That is my only teeny tiny gripe about the disability passes, after visiting WDW I would never truly complain about the French system ever again.

nathalie

The dissabled areas for Dreams and parades aren't all that big, so a few places simply can't hold 5 people per card, it would be full too fast like that, giving the people who need that area no chance at all anymore.

littlebitofpixiedust

You can understand why there are restrictions to it because it at peak times gets far too busy, in saying that like posted above I'm sure when it's quiet cms use common sense and possibly let the extra one in here and there. I will never use the disabled space for dreams again it's all too much and when my son looses it all hell breaks loose. The view wasn't perfect from over near discovery land but when he started I could slip out of the park without a fuss so works much better for us 😊

Guineapig56

Hi,
Is it worth getting the disability pass for a person with an autistic spectrum disorder. My son is 25 and gets very anxious in crowds but really wants to be able to see both the parades and fireworks really well, so I was wondering if the areas set aside for disabled visitors to watch is purely for those in wheelchairs or would he be able to watch things from the area?
We are going just before Christmas again this year and as he really enjoyed it so much last time so was wondering if there was anyway I could enhance his enjoyment.
thanks

Guineapig

twentythingamabobs

I never even ask if extras can go in if there is more than 1 of us, just when I'm on my own outside. And even then I wait until Dreams is beginning before I ask. Once there was 7 people in the area and the cm still said no. But you're right, I'd much rather people with needs get access than 4 extra able bodied people!

If you've got a green disability card you are allowed in the area, no matter what your disability, not just for those with motorbility issues  ;)

polar vixen

Passes are great for people with asd you can use it for a much wider space for dreams and parades and we have found that characters always give a little extra attention there to, and to skip ride queues which makes a massive difference!

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Guineapig56 on October 19, 2015, 05:16:21 PMHi,
Is it worth getting the disability pass for a person with an autistic spectrum disorder. My son is 25 and gets very anxious in crowds but really wants to be able to see both the parades and fireworks really well, so I was wondering if the areas set aside for disabled visitors to watch is purely for those in wheelchairs or would he be able to watch things from the area?
We are going just before Christmas again this year and as he really enjoyed it so much last time so was wondering if there was anyway I could enhance his enjoyment.
thanks

Guineapig

The post below answer well enough   ;D but yes take proof of disability it will be a godsend believe me, enjoy!