Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haribosmum

I've been reading about the differences between Disable Access and Easy Access passes on the website:
Access to Attractions:  two differents Access Cards

When you arrive at the Disney Parks, go to the City Hall or Studio Services welcome point at the Park entrance  accompanied by your helper(s) (including at least 1 able-bodied adult aged 18 or over).

Our Cast Members (Disney employees) will be glad to answer all your questions, and will advise you as to which attractions are the most easily accessible according to your disability or specific needs. They will also provide you with an Access Card if appropriate.

If you are a group of disabled guests, please say so when booking your stay in order to facilitate the issuing of Access Cards. In order to receive an Access Card, you will be asked to present your disability card or some other suitable document. The aim of these cards is to cater to disabled guests' specific needs in the best possible way.

Disabled Priority Card:

This card gives you and your helpers priority access to certain attractions in both Parks via specially-adapted entrances.

In order to receive a Disabled Priority Card, you will be asked to present your disability card (disabled person's priority card, formerly known as the "difficulty standing" card, war disability card, European disabled parking badge) or a medical certificate.

Warning: For safety reasons, mobility-impaired, visually-impaired (blind), mentally-impaired and hearing-impaired guests who can only understand sign language must be accompanied by an able-bodied adult aged 18 or over who is capable of helping them.

Number of helpers authorised to accompany the cardholder: 1 able-bodied adult with a maximum of 3 children, unless the children are under 12 years of age.

Easy Access Card:

This card allows you and your helper to access certain attractions via specially-adapted entrances. It does not, however, give you priority access to attractions.

Easy Access Cards are issued to those suffering from temporary or debilitating illnesses (illnesses that have not resulted in them being officially registered as disabled) and to expectant mothers. In order to receive an Easy Access Card you will be asked to present a medical certificate*.

Number of helpers authorised to accompany the cardholder: 1 person (unless the cardholder has a "Carte familiale de priorité").

General information:

Medical certificate: guests must present an original medical certificate in French or English issued less than 3 months previously, signed and stamped by the doctor and testifying that they have a disability or debilitating illness, or are pregnant.

The aim of these cards is to cater to disabled guests' specific needs in the best possible way in accordance with current regulations.

These cards are strictly personal, and you may be asked to provide proof of identity. The card remains the property of Disneyland Paris and can be withdrawn if incorrectly used. If you are not riding an attraction, your helpers must join the normal queue. We cannot guarantee that you will be eligible for one of these cards. Renting a wheelchair does not automatically make guests eligible for an Access Card.

Access to attractions may be changed without prior warning. Queuing times via specially-adapted entrances can range from 10 to 20 minutes depending on how busy the Parks are. Please note that if certain attractions are extremely busy (Peter Pan's Flight, Big Thunder Mountain, Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, etc.), you may be asked to come back at a specific time later in the day.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

lubynoo

So they've change the number of helpers? it used to be something stupid like 7 on some rides but we need two because it takes two of us to get my son on and off the rides argh!! The only ride with one helper was Slinky dog and I just helped him on and then waited at the exit. It literally needs two of us to get him on sooooo this could muck up our trip in may. Oh dear. Well we shall see. I will have to email them and ask although I have emailed a few times and was not answered so will have to try a few more times. I am happy in a way because far too many people were abusing the system when they had so many different types of cards but the one helper business buggers up slightly!!

Do you still have to do the reserving and coming back later thing?
Thanks for the info

toonarmylass

so is a doctors letter not good enough anymore??? you have to pay 35 pound for a certificate at my doctors

lubynoo

Quote from: "toonarmylass"so is a doctors letter not good enough anymore??? you have to pay 35 pound for a certificate at my doctors

We've NEVER used a certificate we just take his diagnosis letter and as for translating it to French I have never been to city hall and not had an English reading person be present so ignore that bit. The blue badge is the easiest way if you have one. If not just take a letter confirming the diagnosis of the disabled person.

Day-Dreamer

Hi,
We are visitng DLP in June as a family of three adults and two small children (aged 5 and 3). Our 5 yr old has cerebral palsy, no speech and learning difficulties. He can walk very short distances with support but mostly uses a manual wheelchair. Last year he was given an Easy Access Card (green one) which enabled us to stay together for the most part.

From my understanding, the 'new' system allows the disabled person + 1 helper on a ride... now... whilst I don't believe it should be a 'free for all' approach, I don't know how we are going to handle the family being split up. Eg Me + my son one queue, Dad + 3 yr old queuing elsewhere for an age. Doesn't feel very 'inclusive'. I've tried emailing DLP for clarification on the new access card arrangements but haven't had a response, sadly.

Does anyone know whether Disney would split us up? Not for one second do I think all five of us should ride together but would it be too much to ask for 2 x adults, 1 disabled child and 1 x 3yr old to be kept together?  Parades etc are a different thing and I don't mind the separation for that.  Sorry, I really hope my post doesn't sound selfish, I don't mean it to. I, just like everyone else, wants it to be a family holiday where my son is included and not one where his disability defines him.
Many thanks

DutchBrit

There was a whole thread about this recently: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12889

It does seem a bit complicated now, but someone said that it was possible to have a carer and 3 other people included on the special access pass, so maybe it would be OK for your family. Good luck and I hope you have a great time!

Day-Dreamer

Thank you for pointing me to the other thread DutchBrit. Can't you tell I'm new!

haribosmum

Just a quick update following my trip last week.  We took my daughters hospital letter and our physiotherapy leaflet which mentions avoiding standing for long periods of time, this was sufficient for city hall and we were assigned a Disabled Access Priority card (personally I was expecting Easy Access so was a bit surprised).  It was stamped that 2 accompanying adults could use it, but only 1 for parade.  This meant for virtually everything we went straight onto the ride.  The only time only 1 of us used it was on rides that would only seat 2 i.e Dumbo, Autopia etc.
For the parade, the first time we were all allowed in as it was really quiet (near to the start of parade in Fantasyland), in studios only 1 adult allowed which was ok.  We viewed parade again near to the castle and again only 1 adult, but hear the other adult could stand next to us with the rope in between.  
We saw quite a lot of people with easy access passes being given slips of paper to come back in 30-60 mins. This seemed to be the main difference between the 2 passes, we weren't asked to return (though I assume we could have been).
The other thing which I have mentioned elsewhere is regarding the Princess Pavillion.  We were advised we could return every 2 hrs to see a princess (though we didn't as regularly as that) which makes a very big difference.

Overall I was very impressed with the assistance we got.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

mkimble

My daughter has autism ADHD and anxiety I did email Disney and they referred me to their website. I am still confused which pass I need. I have a yellow disabled card for her do I need her dla paperwork and her psych report too?

scampbunny

Quote from: "haribosmum"The other thing which I have mentioned elsewhere is regarding the Princess Pavillion.  We were advised we could return every 2 hrs to see a princess (though we didn't as regularly as that) which makes a very big difference.

Overall I was very impressed with the assistance we got.

thanks for that!!  was wondering if there was a limit, as my 2 have prince costumes and want to meet the princesses whilst wearing them - now i can factor the every 2 hrs bit into the plan (altho think ill check at city hall which princesses!!  ds2 is desp for rapunzel lol)

also - was there a mention of a special area for dreams in the evening??  that one is my biggest concern really.....

so glad u had a good time  :thumbs:

June 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Dec 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights April 2009 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Oct 2010 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights  June 2012 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights

toonarmylass

I have a yearly green easy access pass for matthew. will that still be valid or will i need to go and get it changed i wonder?

haribosmum

Not sure if City hall will be able to help with the princesses as they change every 1/2hr.  we saw them walk in a couple of times, so knew who was available.  the disability entrance is at the exit of small world,  cheekily you can see who is in there as can pop head in exit and look at the photo screens as to which princesses are there.

we were waiting and stood next to one entrance and there was a bit of chat between the 2 girls on the door.  worked out that it was because my daughter was in a rapunzel dress and we were set to see Cinderella, even though Rapunzel was in the other room.  they swapped us over and I am so glad they did....i cried at meeting her!!!!  

On the Saturday there was a full queue in the diabled entrance so would expect still to have 20min wait, but any other time we were pretty much straight in.    because we did get to go a couple of times, we thought we might see a princess twice, which nearly happened with Tiana.  But we mentioned that she hadn't yet seen Arial to the cast member so she put us in that room instead.  Hope that helps :-)
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

haribosmum

Forgot - no special area for Dreams when we were there, advised it hadn't worked in a trial.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

scampbunny

thanks for ur fab reply!!!!

like the fact that at least we can see who is there by seein the screens - will help try and sort out who to see....  now wondering if they wud be better usin their costumes on the monday instead of the saturday???  hmmmm more planning is required lol

and surprised at the dreams bit - guess we will have to see where we can stand last minute then, as it is only me with the boys, i cannot leave them for food, nor pick them up to see better!!

bet ur daughter loving seein rapunzel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and think id cry too - in fact i do alot when my ds reacts well to certain characters!! xx

June 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Dec 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights April 2009 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Oct 2010 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights  June 2012 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights

jonathan

Hi,

Im probably asking what others have already asked but the size of this thread is immense and its easy to miss things.

Weve been before but never really considered or heard of these disabled access passes.

basically I have a Blue Disabled Badge issued in the UK and I think they cover the EU.  Both of my 2 sons receive Disability Living Allowance- one has Cystic Fibrosis and one Chronic Lung Disease.  They dont have Blue Disabled Badges as they are too young (3 and 1 years old respectively) but have letters from the DWP stating that they are entitled to DLA.  My Mum is one of my sons official 'carer' and I for my other son and again we have letters from the DWP stating this.

Would this be sufficient enough to geain disabled passes?  I think our main concerns would be for parades rather than rides.  We will also have my 5 year old daughter in our party.

Thanks for any info or advice anyone can provide :-D