Disney Studio 1 Billboard - Refurbishment complete!

Started by Kristof, August 07, 2005, 01:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbiad

I'm always surprised how much Disney calls in other companies to do things in and around the resort. Do the other Disneyland Parks do this? Does DLRP not have its own internal refurb team?

Anthony

Of course they do have their own maintenance teams, but they work on the finer details and on co-ordinating projects. For something like a big repaint, it makes more sense to hire in people than have them constantly on the payroll. Although with the amount of work that still needs to be done around DLP, that might not be such a bad idea.

Thanks for bumping this topic anyway. Will 2010 be the year?

dagobert

Dlp.info reports that there is some progress going on. The large window above the entrance doors isn't covered anymore.

Link:
http://www.dlp.info/News/2010/01/the-endless-rehab/

RnRCj

I thought it had always been like that?

dagobert

Quote from: "RnRCj"I thought it had always been like that?

You could be right, I've just looked through my pictures from 2008, but I don't have a picture of Studio 1.

MagicKenny

Thats new. When I was there last April, you couldn't see the huge doors, so it is a bit of improvement :-) great to see!
Just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming, what do we do, we dreaaamm

-breeno-

Wait, is the the big doors that you can now see or the big window above the entrance?  If the latter then it's always been like that, here's a picture of Studio 1 back in July, note above the entrance is not billboard.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

dagobert

Do we already know why this billboard is still there?

-breeno-

Posted back in October;

Quote from: "Anthony"This is a fairly major breakthrough, if you can call it that.

Further undercover work (sending another email asking what's going on), via another magicforum member (thanks!), has uncovered this response from Guest Communications:

QuoteFurther to your query, I regret to inform you that due to unforeseen technical difficulties with the refurbishment work taking place on Studio 1, the work has been exceptionally delayed. Therefore, we are unable to confirm when the scaffolding will be removed.
So let's recap. Fifteen months since this refurbishment covering was put in place, the official line is now: "Unforeseen technical difficulties" have lead to an "exceptional delay", and even they themselves don't know when the scaffolding will be gone. HELP!

Let the speculating begin... what technical difficulties can Disney, of all companies, have with a project like this?
This seems the best piece of news regarding why it's still there.  Technical difficulties.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

dagobert

Thanks for the answer breeno. I think I've skipped this post.

Anthony

Quote from: "-breeno-"Wait, is the the big doors that you can now see or the big window above the entrance?  If the latter then it's always been like that, here's a picture of Studio 1 back in July, note above the entrance is not billboard.
Yep, since this "refurbishment" covering was put up in August 2008 the window has been uncovered.

Quote from: "-breeno-"This seems the best piece of news regarding why it's still there.  Technical difficulties.
We did get a bit further, but not in the way of official comment. From posts here, on DCP and on the DLRP Today comments, there were suggestions the resort is stuck in some kind of legal situation whereby someone is taking legal action against someone else and til it's sorted they can't touch the scaffolding.

Seeing the extensive refurb they gave Plaza Gardens last summer and the way they've just swooped in and got to work on the Castle bridge, there's no money or lack of workers problem. Makes you wonder just how much the legal action is worth... more expensive than simply cutting their losses and ending the embarassment? Or is that not an option anyway?

dagobert

Hopefully it is gone for the 20th birthday. There are still two years left, so maybe we are lucky and the billboard is gone.

RnRCj

Progress! :shock:

Source: Jack Sully at Disney Gazette forums

luke85

Oh my!  :shock:

I really hope this is the beginning of the end of the Studio 1 Billboard, it really has been up there, not doing much, for a ridiculously long time. It's laughable.

Regardless of what's inside WDS, I think it's fair to say that the entrance, Front lot and Studio 1 facade are beautiful, let's hope we can all enjoy them in their original state soon :)

Poppy The Monkey

Yea, there was workmen up there all day friday, they have repainted the "Number 1", but I don't know what was happening behind the rest of the scaffolding!