Shanghai Disney Resort

Started by Kristof, July 08, 2005, 08:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

This is it, then! :)

That castle is massive (if the proportions in the concept art are correct). They say they're going to put a few things inside it, so that will be interesting.

But now that Fantasyland has become the Central Plaza, I wonder how this will look... or work, for that matter. There won't be as much retail as people leave the park and whatnot. Then again, I'm sure the imagineers have thought that through.

Overall, it's really exciting. :D

I suppose SDL and HKDL can be thought of as WDW and DL, respectively, but with even greater differences, this time! For the classic Disney park, go to Hong Kong, and for something new, go to Shanghai. :D
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ulak

SHDL in TV News:
[youtube:1bumyayd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXr0AVSO3E[/youtube:1bumyayd]
[size=85](sorry for my bad english, thank You!)[/size]

Festival Disney

Does the music sound familiar?  ;) (You can also hear the start to Fantillusion right at the end :P )
[youtube:2i6a6va8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1t5h_HmF0[/youtube:2i6a6va8]
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

disneyrules

Wow the concepts look Brilliant :thumbs:
I would love to go, cant wait to hear more about it :D
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

|Q|

Looking (compulsively) at the artwork, there's some stuff i cannot find:

No train?
No Big Thunder Mountain?
No Rivers of the Far West/steamboats?
No Teacups?
No Autopia?
No It's a Small World?
I cannot find even the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster, that should be there quite for sure.
I don't say "no Space Mountain?" only cause there's that weird dome that looks like some early renderings for HKDL Space Mountain.

Josh

Maybe it's "Space Blob"? Either way, I think we should expect something very different from each land. I'm not even sure if they'll have the same name, because it's obvious now that this Magic Kingdom will beat least 80% different. However, we're not meant be able to make out anything, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are there somewhere. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dagobert

Quote from: "|Q|"Looking (compulsively) at the artwork, there's some stuff i cannot find:

No train?
No Big Thunder Mountain?
No Rivers of the Far West/steamboats?
No Teacups?
No Autopia?
No It's a Small World?
I cannot find even the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster, that should be there quite for sure.
I don't say "no Space Mountain?" only cause there's that weird dome that looks like some early renderings for HKDL Space Mountain.

I think I read somewhere that Disney doesn't want to make the attraction public, because they fear that other parks will copy them. So I wouldn't take these concept arts too serious, there can still change a lot.

Since there is already HKDL in China, I can imagine that this park will not feature many of the attractions found in HKDL. Although it is still a MK style park, I think it will be quite different from what we know from other Disneyland parks. I just hope that Pirate Mountain is still part of the new park.

dagobert

What do you think, will Shanghai Disneyland be successful or will it be a failure like HKDL and DLRP? Do you think it is too early to build a second Disney park in China? According to the press release negotiations lasted for ten years, that means Disney started to talk to the Chinese government during the construction of HKDL.
Michael Eisner, former Disney CEO, opened six Disney parks around the globe and made WD Parks & Resorts what it is today, the number one in the industry. Maybe Mr. Iger also wants to leave his mark in the disney themepark history.

On the one hand I think Disney has learned from the mistakes they made with DLRP, too many hotels, and HKDL, too small not enough attractions?

Disney entered the Chinese market not long ago and so most Chinese don't know much of Disney. Why should they want to visit a Disney park? Ocean Park attracts more people than HKDL, so I really don't think that carnival attractions like TSPL will not bring more people to the resort. Hopefully Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch will help HKDL.

During the next five years HKDL has to try everything to get more people into the park, otherwise they will not have a chance to compete with SHDL. I really think that TWDC lost its interest in HKDL, and in DLRP, and maybe this will be the first Disney park to close.

davewasbaloo

A very good source tells me your dream may not come true. The reason there is no huge detail though, is this phase is just starting the process, attractions are still to be finalised. Remember, HKDL was to have a Frontierland with Grizzly River Rapids, and Dinosaur was also slotted for Adventureland.

Also, DLP was supposed to have Splash Mountain, Indy, Toontown, a little mermaid dark ride and a Beauty and the beast AA show. Things change, especially 5 years from opening (DL was 1 year from ground break to opening, most other resorts were 3). Much can and will change.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"A very good source tells me your dream may not come true.

Which dream are you talking about? Are you going to say that Pirate Mountain will not be part of the new park? That would be disappointing, because I'm really looking forward to this new incarnation of POTC.

Dave, do you know, or your sources, if the new DL will have a railroad circling the park or at least be part of a land, like in Tokyo?

davewasbaloo

Sorry, I meant may come true, the new pirates may find a home in Shanghai. I do not know about the train. Because of the political implications of this park, it is very tight. I would simply say that the pirates may come, it may be a small world, and there may be some high speed travel through cyber space or outer space - jury is still out. A yeti may come to china though.

Nothing is confirmed other than a castle and carousel ;)

As for Paris, forget about travelling to other planets other than endor, and do not count on Remy :(

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Sorry, I meant may come true, the new pirates may find a home in Shanghai. I do not know about the train. Because of the political implications of this park, it is very tight. I would simply say that the pirates may come, it may be a small world, and there may be some high speed travel through cyber space or outer space - jury is still out. A yeti may come to china though.

Nothing is confirmed other than a castle and carousel ;)

As for Paris, forget about travelling to other planets other than endor, and do not count on Remy :(

Do you want to say that we may not get Ratatouille as well? ST II not coming and now they are going to axe Ratatouille, what are they doing in Paris? Will we get another bunch of stupid carnival rides for the 20th birthday?

davewasbaloo

Not even....

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Not even....

Great!! I couldn't be more excited about the future of DLRP. Hopefully our plan to return to the US and visit DL in Anaheim will turn into reality next year. Now we can save the DLRP money for DL.

davewasbaloo

I am hoping my sources are right on Shanghai and wrong on Paris. But their batting average is very good. Problem is, this character tripe DLP keeps getting is popular, with an audience that largely have very limited experience of what Disney parks are about. It keeps the cost down, and with DLP's issues, they like it. Though the refurbs are costing a fortune (but look at the DLP leadership, they have a very high turnover compared to Disneyland, now they are paying the price).

It makes me wonder what is in store for Shanghai where they have limited experience