Molly Brown riverboat returns!

Started by Anthony, May 16, 2005, 05:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "pussinboots"Speaking of which, I just want to make a little side note there. Alain Littaye talks on his blog of how riverboats were historically painted all-white. However, the lead paints available until synthetic paints came into existence were actually never white-white. They would have been light beige at the very most. So all that crisp white clapboard we associate today with New England and the Victorian era in America is actually rewritten and repainted history. Therefore, the new sandy tones of the Molly Brown are probably just as historically inaccurate as the bright white of the Mark Twain.

That would be the case if the whole ship was beige... ;-) As it is, the Molly Brown never was synthetic white. Like most Disney park "whites" it was a subtle off-white. But my beef isn't with its authenticity, actually. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I'm the only guy on the internet who doesn't like the new color scheme! (Me and some of the original Frontierland Imagineers, anyway.)

Quote from: "Alan"What's the name of that piece of music they used during the re-dedication ceremony? It sounds so familiar but I have no idea what it's called. You can hear it at about 3 minutes and 20 seconds into this video:

Assuming you mean the music at 3:55, that's "Auguste's Entrance" from the Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show soundtrack. The other track used is the Big Country Theme, from the Frontierland area music.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

CafeFantasia

"Big Country Theme" that's the one. Thank you David. Doing some resesarch, it's from the 1958 movie "The Big Country", which you can read more about on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Country

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"But my beef isn't with its authenticity, actually. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I'm the only guy on the internet who doesn't like the new color scheme! (Me and some of the original Frontierland Imagineers, anyway.)

You are not the only one. Just like the cheesy music they now play in Frontierland instead of the original grand soundtrack, it is yet another European idea of the west, rather than a reasonably authentic one. I am not keen on the colour scheme at all. But I am at least happy it had some tlc.
since 2001 (many before that)

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Just like the cheesy music they now play in Frontierland instead of the original grand soundtrack

Which one are you referring to? To the best of my knowledge the DLP Frontierland area music was never changed..?

Speaking of music, apart from the new captain's extremely wooden delivery I find it rather disappointing that they replaced the unloading music, which used to be a dixieland track by the Firehouse Five Plus Two (a great nod to Disney history), but I guess it didn't fit the new "story."

I sure hope they won't try to separate Mark Twain from his Mississippi... which, by the way, was part of what we consider the Old American West.

To end on a positive note, like most people I do appreciate Molly Brown's new voice and -- obviously -- the TLC they gave the boat.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

davewasbaloo

There is a cheesy version of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly - it sounds almost discofied. Not the version I remember in the early years.

DGRavenswood

Yeah, the Hugo Montenegro-style version... Funny, I always believed it had been there from the beginning. I'm certain that it was already in use in 1998 (that's when I started spending obscene amounts of time in Frontierland for my website), but of course it might have been changed around the same time as the Fantasyland area loop (c. 1996). I'll have to ask Jeff Burke some time.

Anyway, it's not the best illustration for your "European idea of the West" argument, as the original version of the track is Italian and this one is American! ;)
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

davewasbaloo

Lol ooops (blushes)

dagobert

It seems Molly Brown is completed and in service:

Picture by Disney Gazette:
http://www.disneygazette.fr/la-gazette- ... s-500.html

mattboywonder

This passed weekend she was making a trip but not taking passengers - you could see people working on her.  Maybe she had to do so many hours on the water before she can take passengers??
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

peter

does this mean both boats are working at the same time? i have never been when both are available.

Festival Disney

I believe Mark Twain is having the same treatment as Molly Brown has just had. So we might not see him sailing again for another year!
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day