Theatre District placemaking (Future)

Started by Kristof, September 27, 2007, 07:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthony2k6

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quotethe hollywood placemaking should be finished by november/december

The Hollywood Placemaking constructions will continue after ToT opens.

like what? it looks nearly finished...  :?

Winstonio

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quotethe hollywood placemaking should be finished by november/december

The Hollywood Placemaking constructions will continue after ToT opens.

What kind of constructions are you talking about??

dr.jones

Two questions for raptor:
1) How official are these plans? Just rumours or already confirmed?
2) How will they squize the huge Soarin'-building into the small space between Cinémagique and TV-studios?

CafeFantasia

They could build Soarin' with just one theatre, instead of the two it has at both Epcot and DCA. That would effectively halve the size of the building required to house the attraction, and make it cheaper to build, but at a loss of capacity.

dr.jones

QuoteThey could build Soarin' with just one theatre, instead of the two it has at both Epcot and DCA. That would effectively halve the size of the building required to house the attraction, and make it cheaper to build, but at a loss of capacity.
That's indeed possible, but a big problem for the capacity. Keeping in mind the popularity of the attraction, that would create huge waiting times ... like at Crush's Coaster. On the other hand, the perfect solution to keep the public (waiting and waiting and ...) in WDS for an entire day :wink:

Japper

Or build two theatres behind each other instead of next to each other?

dr.jones

QuoteOr build two theatres behind each other instead of next to each other?
That's impossible, since the RER and TGV railroads are right behind the open space. A large showbuilding/theatre just can't be built on that location.
By the way, how can Soarin' be justified thematically in Hollywood Studio? Soarin' in the Back Lot makes a lot more sense. Soarin' would be nice as the first future expansion outside the current WDS-space, together with a complete makeover of the Tram Tour.

Kristof

dr.jones, this has been explained before:

As you might have noticed, the future name of the Production Courtyard plaza will be Theatre District.  It's where cinema technology is presented: Cinémagique, Soarin' (Imax screen) and Stitch Live.

dr.jones

ok raptor, thematically it makes sense
but that still does not explain how they will be able to build the huge building on such a small space (unless they get rid of the service/backstage-road around WDS and next to the da vince parking lot)

Kristof

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not the Imagineer in charge of the project.  :lol:   So I don't know how they will pull it off, but my connections at Imagineering assured me that Soarin' is scheduled to be build between Disney Channel & Cinémagique in the future.

dr.jones

let's hope that they know what they're doing and that they give us a pleasant surprise :D
after all, their profession = making magic, and so far we may certainly not complain (except about Disney Village  :wink: )

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "dr.jones"let's hope that they know what they're doing and that they give us a pleasant surprise :D

They've not let us down yet :wink:

dr.jones

Question about the placemaking of the Theatre District.
Might it be possible that they put a Chinese Theater-façade in front of CinéMagique?
Is this realistic or wishful thinking?

Anthony

I think it will get a new movie theatre-based façade, but not the Chinese Theatre. In Florida they're apparently having trouble with the owners of the real theatre, because they don't want MGM to be using it as their main icon (hence the 2001 hat still being in place to hide it, although I don't know how truthful these rumours are).

penfold12

lets hope not Baloo, otherwise MGM are stuck with that hat, and we don't get a Hollywood iconic building