Star Tours enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by Anthony, April 23, 2005, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

From what I've seen, they've done a great job with Star Tours. Although I prefer the original version of the attraction, there's no doubt it really needed a freshen up.

Here's a vid (not the attraction).
**Spoilers ahead**

https://youtu.be/qt8RFtkWe2w

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mickey1980

It looks great! Can't wait to ride it.

From what i've heard the complete attraction is in French. Don't know if it will stay that way. But it seems to be an odd choice and I hope the idea of doing this won't spread to other attractions.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

claire2281

Quote from: mickey1980 on March 20, 2017, 05:42:22 PM
It looks great! Can't wait to ride it.

From what i've heard the complete attraction is in French. Don't know if it will stay that way. But it seems to be an odd choice and I hope the idea of doing this won't spread to other attractions.

I have to say I don't have much of an issue with this. It's a French park and the percentage of UK visitors seems to have declined in recent years. The park caters for English speakers really well but it doesn't bother me is some attractions are purely in French - more motivation to keep learning the language for me!
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

mickey1980

DLP always did a wonderful job combining English and French in a way so everybody with a basic understanding of the language could follow the storyline. It worked for almost 25 years. So why the sudden change?

Btw, I'm Dutch and speak 4 languages. French being one of them  ;)

Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Slimy yet satisfying

From the trailer shown the information titles are in English too. I can't imagine them having one language only in any show so I wouldn't worry.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

DisneyManiac

Just returned from an absence and I am really excited for Star Tours to reopen it's services once more in Paris. I mean 3 other Spaceports are already offering services to Spaceport THX1138 (consult this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Tours:_The_Adventures_Continue for more info) on Planet Earth. One thing I would absolutely LOVE is for DLP to do an opening video much-like Disneyland Resort did when the first Adventures Continues opened. Darth Vader goes to Disneyland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_dZPVg8KI

Anywho I look forward to many flights with Star Tours this summer.

bobthewibble

We've just returned from a few days at Disney and the new Star Tours is superb. We rode it three times, had the same intro section twice, a different middle action section each time (one was Chewbacca's home world, the next was pod racing and the last was following the Millennium Falcon on the first flight scene from The Force Awakens), all three were excellent. It then had a slightly different end section but most of it seemed the same. Either way, we loved it.
However, beside a single spoken line in the queue video the ENTIRE experience is purely in French, in fact it's very odd they have the single sentence to be honest. There is a lot you miss in the queue because of this as CP-3O and the other robots are making lots of jokes as you queue, but despite this it wasn't a big downside and the ride itself, while again all in French is more obvious to understand what's going on. There are written English notices on the destination board, but that's the only exception.
The queuing area with the luggage scanning is brilliant and has lots of fun elements in, you're actually sad the queue moves on at that point. We had four of the six ships operating on Wednesday, but it all seemed to be running very smoothly. Queue time was down to 15 minutes most of the day.

MichaelTanzer91

Yeah seriously, why NOT make this into an Bilingual attraction instead? Like they did it with Cinemagique and the original Star Tours back in 1992?

disneydad73

We've just come back from a great week (3rd-7th) and Star Tours was one of our highlights. The improvements are out of this world (do you see what I did there?) - and the fact that you should get a different ride each time makes you want to keep going back to it. If you're lucky you may even appear on the screen / side screen!

Our favourites were escaping from Darth at the start, visiting Hoth and Naboo, and everyones favourite Bounty Hunter!
I think there were only 1 or 2 scenes that we didn't see!

Its part of the magic hours, so we bounced between it and Buzz a couple of mornings - great stuff!
The queues did get up to 45 mins a few times, but the fast passes didnt run out as quickly as Big Thunder Mountain which were normally all gone by 1230.

And don't forget to go and visit Mr Vader next door to the ride - we go lucky on the day we arrived and just walked straight in - no queue!

CafeFantasia

On Thursday the 30th of March 2017, I finally got to ride the new version of Star Tours at Disneyland Paris. Here's my 4000-word review of the attraction. Hope you enjoy reading it.  :)

Star Tours: The Adventures Continue Review
★★★★☆ Smart update, stunning 3D ride film, but is it too late?
https://medium.com/@CafeFantasia/review-star-tours-the-adventures-continue-at-disneyland-paris-a502486eb398

pfspock

Great review. I agree wholeheartedly.

CafeFantasia

Ah, thank you very much pfspock. 😊

claire2281

Having now experienced this upgrade I'd say it's a brilliant reworking of the ride. I love the new queue line - there's lots to see and keep you amused and (weird as it might sound) the plush carpet is really comfortable to stand on! They seem to have the operation down very smoothly too because even when we queuing right from the opening door, it only took 25 minutes. Having ridden in 7 times over the last 5 days we still managed to never get Jakku, BB-8 or Geonosis - I'm starting to wonder if the Episode 7 scenes are still in there!

There definitely seems to be more English in there than when it first opened although the ride itself is still in French. With my basic skills I can follow the jist of it and the fact that some of the scenes are iconic-ish ('help me Star Tours, you're my only hope') and the subtitles on the screens outside set up what's going on, I think it's easy enough to understand the idea of it.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

polar vixen

First time I've ever been on a ride where everyone claps at the end of it. It was awesome.

DisneyManiac

Quote from: polar vixen on July 15, 2017, 05:51:00 PM
First time I've ever been on a ride where everyone claps at the end of it. It was awesome.

From my last trip (Late July to Early August), people did exactly that for Big Thunder Mountain after erupting from the Deliveries shack to the mainland. It is a lovely gesture and it shows the guests really do appreciate the work imagineers put into these experiences.

Also a highlight for me was one of the possible conclusions of a Star Tours flight aboard Flight 1401. Spoilers ahead in white, highlight text to read.

The Boba Fett Encounter

Not only do you have to endure a chase through an asteroid belt with the bounty hunter hot on your tail, after evading the bounty hunter, you lightspeed back to the Rebel Fleet. With the flight landing in a hangar, everyone is cheering and the lady that lead the attack on the Death Star is at the middle on the group of people, X Wings and their pilots are there as well. The Starspeeder begins descending into the passenger loading bay as they are all applauding in the protection of the rebel spy aboard the flight. It was beautiful to me and I honestly felt like I was part of something important. Bravo Disney.