Toon Studio placemaking

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Blimey... you go on holiday for a week and return to find out that WDS has finally become a theme park!! :o  :o

Thanks for all the pictures, news and discussion everyone, looks like there's a lot to catch up on here! :)

Kristof

Here's anohter photo from Disneytheque showing the progress of the new coloured floor!

http://www.disneytheque.com/index.php?/ ... udios.html

Kristof

From http://www.wdsfans.com

QuoteLa Roquine on Disney Central Plaza forum reports interesting news regarding the Toon Studio placemaking project:

- Work will start this week at the main entrance of Art of Disney Animation.
- Mid-October to mid-November work continues at the entrance of Animation Courtyard to install the Sorcerer Mickey statue.
- Construction fences will then move to the entrance of Animagique and the exit of Art of Disney Animation.
- Followed by the zone between the Incredibles photo location and the Cars Race Rally construction site.

La Roquine points out as well that the new yellow flooring near the Flying Carpets will receive handpainted details in the coming months.

8)  8)  8)

Anthony

Wow, so by the end of the year the transformation should be looking quite complete!

I can't wait to see more work start this week - at the entrance of AODA? Is that just for the new paving or are they changing something else there?  I suppose they need a new area for the statue and other planting too.

I don't follow WDW much, so can anyone tell me if the Peter Pan figures are off the castle yet?  Is it really those exact figures we'll get?

It's so cool to see them going full-on with this project, and being brave enough to know that a lot has to change to make this land work. :)

experiment627

Quote from: "Baloo"I don't follow WDW much, so can anyone tell me if the Peter Pan figures are off the castle yet?  Is it really those exact figures we'll get?

They will be taken down in mid-September.

Anthony

Thanks for the info, experiment. :)  Fits nicely into the Toon Studio plan then I guess.

As for the new fences around AODA, not a lot going on behind there yet...

Photo by Grandmath, DCP.

penfold12

The decorations have been taken down off the turrets in WDW this weekend. Cinderellabration ends mid September, so I think the rest are taken down around this time

Kristof

G-Force has edited the wonderful photo by Sweet Joe on DCP forum.  The yellow line indicates where the Toon Town backdrop should go.

The Butlin Boy

Here are the latest construction photos which including Crush's building getting taller, the rockwork recieveing it's first layer of concrete, digging at the cars sight and a strange metal stucture by cars.
http://www.disneytheque.com/index.php?/ ... udios.html

Poppy The Monkey

Yesterday, a whole new area of Animation Courtyard was boarded off as  work begins on the new Mickey Statue, and new flooring in this area, at the future entrance of Toon Studio.

Here are some pictures...

The CDA have disappeared behind the fences

Signs have been placed to help ensure guests don't get lost in this construction site labyrinth.

penfold12

Im all in favour of the new attractions and expansion, but that looks bad!!

I wouldnt be too impressed if I was there. Or am I overreacting? It's a little hard to tell off just photo's. Is it as cramped and closed off as it looks?

Poppy The Monkey

It is a bit of an eye-sore this is what guests coming out of Studio One see..

And that gap between the 2 consruction sites is quite small, for the only entrance to the "land".

But they plan to have this part finished by the end of November, and in the end I'm sure it will be worth this ugly disruption.

Anthony

Great photos, thanks! :D

Wow - there sure are a lot of fences around the parks at the moment!  The signs on these are nice at least, and I like how the green fences curve parallel to Disney Bros. Plaza.  It's a big disruption, but I agree it will be worth it and it's very professionally done. :)

You can almost see the effect the project will have on the land already - with those two fences either side of the entrance it's far more secluded and cosy, really makes you want to explore beyond them and see what's on the other side.  Let's hope the finished statues/themeing and flower beds have the same cool placemaking effect. (They'll be better than these fences at least... lol)

ps: ToT looks incredible in the fog!

Kristof

WDSfans received confirmation about the additional decorations for Art of Disney Animation.

Here's the article by Anthony at http://www.wdsfans.com

Quote from: "WDSfans.com"In a turn of events that will surely please many eco-warriors worldwide, Disney will soon be doing a remarkable bit of recycling between its Floridian and Parisian parks. Whilst all but the giant mirror and stage decorations have now been removed from Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary-decorated Cinderella Castle, don't be fooled into thinking these have gone straight to a landfill. No, instead they're steaming across the Atlantic to our very own Walt Disney Studios Park - three of them, at least.

The golden Wendy, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell, who previously circled the highest spire of Cinderella Castle, will soon turn to sorcery as they find a permanent home around the curving spike of the Sorcerer's Hat to add more magic to this enhanced Toon Studio landmark.

Across from this, behind the new green fences we reported last week, the park's fourth statue of Mickey will be installed in the next few weeks. If Front Lot's Fantasia Fountain, the Partners Statue and the mini Art of Disney Animation statues weren't enough, Mickey will once again be a new icon for the park in a colourful statue inspired directly by his infamous Sorcerer's Apprentice role. Appearing to be stood on a large blue podium, Mickey will be firing a golden spark of pixie dust across the entrance of the land to where the blue construction fences currently stand. The base of the statue may also feature the words "Toon Studio", to welcome guests to the new, improved land.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "raptor1982"Mickey will once again be a new icon for the park in a colourful statue inspired directly by his infamous Sorcerer's Apprentice role. Appearing to be stood on a large blue podium, Mickey will be firing a golden spark of pixie dust across the entrance of the land to where the blue construction fences currently stand. The base of the statue may also feature the words "Toon Studio", to welcome guests to the new, improved land.

So I guess it will look like a bigger version of this Mickey statue: