Toon Studio placemaking

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Some news about Cars Race Ralley: it appears that the vehicles which the visitors will board, won't be the characters from the movie.  Since the characters from Cars are supposed to be "humans", it wouldn't make sense, according the managment that people would sit in them.  

Quite a bizarre reason, since people sit in Dumbo and many other Disney characters all over the parks world wide.  :?

Anthony

Quote from: "Nala_84"The Cars-logo looks a bit to "adult" for such a children-attraction, I think, but it's okay though...  :)
Yeah, that's true.  It looks like more of a "Piston Cup"-style logo, whilst the attraction is actually based in Radiator Springs.  But at least it fits with the film and anyway - kids like grown up stuff, it makes them feel older!  I like the logo even more now that I made the background a bit lighter so you can the tarmac design a bit better.  I'm warming to the bright yellow of Crush aswell!

Quote from: "raptor1982"Quite a bizarre reason, since people sit in Dumbo and many other Disney characters all over the parks world wide.  :?
Definitely!  They could have just themed it as if the cars were taking you for a spin during a break in filming.

So do you know what the vehicles will look like?  Just generic cars like in the concept art?  I suppose that will stop everyone fighting to get on Lightning McQueen or whatever at least...

Kristof

We all know the following concept art, but now take a closer look on the bridge like structure all the way at the bottom right.  I got told by a source, who has seen a different Toon Studio concept art, that it leads to a wooden construction next to Crush's Coaster Building and is in connection with a building behind The Flying Carpets backdrop.  Maybe a new restaurant after all??  Or a boutique??  Your thoughts?

Sam

Interesting Raptor. If it is a classier restaurant (which would be more than welcome since there is none at the moment - except perhaps Rendez-Vous des Stars; which I think lacks atmosphere and Disney-quality), I find it strange that there is no sign next to or above the bridge.
Maybe it's simply the new exit of The Flying Carpets...

Anthony

I hate to be totally boring, but if there is going to be anything built behind there I think it will be some toilets.  There are currently no toilets in the whole of Animation Courtyard, and with Toon Studio it'll surely become the most popular area of the park, so they'll be needing some extra facilities.  It seems like a good place to put them, out of the way, and creates a small new area of the park to give the zone a bit more depth.

I don't think they would build a boutique there because it'll be at the entrance of the ride, and Disney have never done that before.  The exit is where you can see people walking out of the rocks, so that's some distance from the area behind the Carpets.  And I don't think it would be a restaurant because... I don't know... it just doesn't seem like the right place for one.  I'm willing to be proven wrong though. :wink:

Today, it seems safe to say that construction for Cars Race Rally has commenced!!

The latest photos by Zurg on Disney Central Plaza:

The big hole is positioned pretty much exactly where the two pairs of turntables will go.

Sam

Quote from: "Baloo"I hate to be totally boring, but if there is going to be anything built behind there I think it will be some toilets.  

That's not being boring, that's being realistic.  :wink:

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Baloo"Today, it seems safe to say that construction for Cars Race Rally has commenced!!

And about time too! :wink:

Anthony

Just incase anyone's interested, the Crush's Coaster logo was actually designed by the same design firm that did the cool Space Mountain: Mission 2 trailer: http://www.bltomato.com/a_graph.php?pag ... h=&job=445  I wouldn't be surprised if they designed the actual SM:M2 marketing logo aswell...

They're based in Hollywood and do lots of work on movie posters (incl. Spider-man and Pirates of the Caribbean), DVD artwork, broadcast graphics, etc.  So it's good to see WDI/DLRP aren't going cheap on the design work here!

I really love the Crush's Coaster logo, it has actually made me like the dodgy "Coaster" name, and I can't wait to see it plastered on lots of merchandise next year!  Let's just hope they have somewhere nearby to sell it, eh?  :wink:

The Butlin Boy

By the looks of the picture below (follow the link!), they have started to work on the side walls of the crush building but it seems that they are re-painting the building supports blue!
http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 057tu7.jpg

Anthony

Despite diverting Disney Cinema Parade and closing half of the land, they don't seem to be in too much of a rush to get going on that corner of the Courtyard:

Does anyone know how long the Disney Cinema Parade has been diverted for, and when we might see more work done in this corner?

Anthony

Some news picked up from La Rouquine on Disney Central Plaza:

- The major work in transforming Animation Courtyard will start on the 14th August 2006, with a load of construction walls, most notably around Art of Disney Animation

- Peter Pan and Wendy are certainly destined for Toon Studio (ie. the figures/statues that will circle the redecorated Sorcerer Hat), but this feature will not include a fountain.  (La Rouquine doesn't say if it's just this feature that won't include a fountain or the whole Toon Studio project...)

Fantillusion

Cant wait to see what it will look like

Thanks
Fanti :D
-Craig

Anthony

As raptor said in the enhancements topic, the walls have been updated:

Looks like someone was let loose on them with a few pots of blue paint. :) It'd be nice if they put a banner or decorations of some kind on there now...

Kristof

Bubbles would be perfect (for Crush's Coaster) :P

Kris

The walls were changed sometime between Tuesday 18th and Wednesday 19th July. We noticed the change over-night, but see how the wall is now all the same height and not allowing for sneaky pictures over it anymore. That's no fun!
Grab a balloon, come on let\'s go!