Toon Studio placemaking

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

I think those palm trees were already there, weren't they?  They've just been boxed up to stop them getting damaged.

Kristof

Yes indeed, Baloo.  I've seen them already a few weeks ago from the Flying carpets.

Anthony

Yes, it doesn't look like they've only just been placed there - you can see how they've packaged them up in fibreboard and then dug around them.

Here's something definitely new, though:

Photo from here.

They've put some new diagonal supports jutting out from the roof of the building, obviously to hold in the place the facade of the showbuilding, which extends higher than the building itself, like Studio 1...

Anthony

It seems the final name of the land will be "Toon Studio" (as now confirmed by Extraordinet), and this will then include the whole of Animation Courtyard.  That's 5 attractions - Art of Disney Animation, Animagique, Flying Carpets Over Agrabah, Crush's Coaster and Cars: Race Rally.

Your thoughts?

Nala_84

What?? Toon Studio without "s" in the end? Why do they wanna change everything :?

Shall that mean that there won't be any Animation Courtyard anymore???  :x
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Anthony

Quote from: "Nala_84"What?? Toon Studio without "s" in the end? Why do they wanna change everything :?
Yeah, "Studios" isn't plural anymore.  Maybe they couldn't afford the extra letter on the entrance sign? :P

I think the real reason is because of the long-term plans of the Studios.  If they name Production Courtyard "Hollywood Studio", then they'll both fit nicely under the "Walt Disney Studios" banner - making it a kind of collection of different studios.  In a way, the word "studio" is a replacement for DLP's "land".  For example, they could have "Adventure Studio", "Frontier Studio", "Fantasy Studio" etc.  Obviously they won't, but do you see what I mean?  :)

On its own it sounds a bit stupid without the "s" (probably because we're all used to it?), but when you look at the bigger picture, it makes a little bit more sense I think.

Nala_84

You're right, I guess that's the point: We're all used to it and so it's a bit hard to get used to new names ;)

I understand what you mean, they wanna change the "lands" in the Studios Park into "studio(s)" to differentiate between the two different parks. On the one hand a good idea, on the other hand--I'm a past-type, it's so hard for me to accept changes *g*  O:)
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Maarten

Man this is getting confusing now. Isn't "Studio" reflecting to just one studio building? Wouldn't Toon Studios be a better name when you think of the area combining several soundtages and "sets" for Animagique, Art of Disney Animation, Cars: Race Rally, Flying Carpets and Crush's Turtle... uhm... Crush's Coaster...  :?

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"Isn't "Studio" reflecting to just one studio building? Wouldn't Toon Studios be a better name when you think of the area combining several soundtages and "sets"
Technically the buildings should be called soundstages or stages shouldn't they?  I'm sure in Disney-MGM they have "Soundstage 3" (for example) rather than "Studio 3".  For some reason, they just named our WDS buildings differently when they opened the park - maybe so that non-english speakers can understand better?

"Studio" is usually plural though, that's true... Paramount Studios, Universal Studios, Disney-MGM Studios, Hollywood Studios.  I guess the reasoning with the "Toon Studio" name is that this is a studio within a studio.  Or so that guests don't get confused thinking this is a whole seperate studio park.  Or something.  *edges towards the door*

You've made me think, though - if we have a "Toon Studio" land, then it doesn't make much sense with "Disney Studio 1".  One Studio is relating to a whole collection of buildings, whilst another is just one single building.  Could we have a namechange for Disney Studio 1?  Or will they just stop confusing us and add the s back on?  Who knows....  :roll:

Anthony

Here are a couple of excellent new construction photos from Farry on Disney Central Plaza...

Look how BIG the building is!!  The scale is quite deceptive from photos taken further away, but here it just looks massive.  You can see they've started to install some emergency escape stairs in there as well.  It's HUGE! I can't get over how big it is!  And look at the first drop there - it's so steep for a Disney ride!!

This one's great because we can actually finally see the true design of the exterior track.  As you can see, it curves downwards out of the building before taking the dip below ground level.  It must go up a smaller hill at the other end - you can see the start of it there.

I can really get a sense of how the attraction is going to fit in now, and what the layout will feel like when you're actually in there.  I'm glad now as well that they decided to take the exterior dip below ground level, because it gives a hidden bit of mystery to the attraction facade - I can already imagine guests lingering along those undersea walls watching the turtles spin by... :D :D

Anthony

I didn't expect this so soon, but I've got a bit of a cool treat for you all today!  Crush's Coaster and Cars Race Rally logos!!

Logo's removed on request by Disneyland Resort Paris

Sorry about the copyright things I put on them, but we have to respect that these are © Disney and remember that we probably shouldn't even be seeing them yet!  Check out the 15th Anniversary topic in a little while for more cool stuff!

So... what do you think??!  :o

Edit: Updated with higher quality Cars logo.

The Butlin Boy

Cars Rally Race: Good.
Crush's Coaster: Excellent!

After seeing this, I don't mind about them changing the name from "Crush's Turtle Twister" to "Crush's Coaster".

Anthony

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"After seeing this, I don't mind about them changing the name from "Crush's Turtle Twister" to "Crush's Coaster".
Same here, I think the logo has convinced me!  It could be better in less bright colours (it looks a tiny bit cheap in that bright yellow), but the word "Coaster" looks really cool, and is actually quite a Crush-style word.  

"Awesome coaster, dude!!" See what I mean? :)

Sam

I'm not a fan of the Cars logo, but the Crush's Coaster logo is great. Perfectly in tune with the movie logo.

Nala_84

You're right: Crush's logo makes me accepting the new name of the attraction ;)! It really looks great!

The Cars-logo looks a bit to "adult" for such a children-attraction, I think, but it's okay though...  :)
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]