Epilepsy and attractions

Started by littlebitofpixiedust, June 03, 2018, 08:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

Hi, I'm wondering which rides are are suitable my son doesn't have photosensitive epilepsy.

We've been to dlp so many times but he's sadly developed epilepsy and it's really worrying me to be honest he's had 2 in the last couple of weeks and on top of his other disability it's a real worry. Ive just bought us both annual passes so am hoping to still enjoy our trips together  :)

Slimy yet satisfying

That is such a dreadful thing to happen on top of everything else. Im so sad for you and your son as it will change a lot of things.  I think whilst everyone on this forum would want to give you the best advice they have your best bet is to contact Disney themselves. I hope they can give you more accurate details and ideas so that you can continue to enjoy this and future trips. Best wishes, tink happee thawts xxx
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

Pete's Dragon

The only rides I can think of are the indoor rollercoasters - Space Mountain and Rock and Roller Coaster. Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast might be a concern (I'm thinking especially of the tunnel part). Would watching an screen trigger it; I'm thinking of Star Tours.

But you would be best contacting someone with a better knowledge as to what in the park might trigger an event.

claire2281

In addition to the above anything that has a burst flash in the dark e.g. PotC is a potential issue. Obviously it's not for the full ride and you know where it happens so it depends whether you feel certain he'd shut his eyes at the right time if told to do so.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Slimy yet satisfying on June 03, 2018, 11:06:27 AM
That is such a dreadful thing to happen on top of everything else. Im so sad for you and your son as it will change a lot of things.  I think whilst everyone on this forum would want to give you the best advice they have your best bet is to contact Disney themselves. I hope they can give you more accurate details and ideas so that you can continue to enjoy this and future trips. Best wishes, tink happee thawts xxx

Yes I think I should email he's limited anyway as he's in a wheelchair so lots we can't do he's not got photosensitive epilepsy so lights ect don't trigger but I'm wondering when getting our annual green card wether it'll limit everything he does buzz ratatouille small world magic carpets and the studio tram tour are the only rides he can really go on as he's unable to walk unaided I'm just worried that he won't be allowed on anything :( it's so hard we're big Disney lovers so will still make the best of it Thankyou ✨

claire2281

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on June 04, 2018, 11:45:41 AM

Yes I think I should email he's limited anyway as he's in a wheelchair so lots we can't do he's not got photosensitive epilepsy so lights ect don't trigger but I'm wondering when getting our annual green card wether it'll limit everything he does buzz ratatouille small world magic carpets and the studio tram tour are the only rides he can really go on as he's unable to walk unaided I'm just worried that he won't be allowed on anything :( it's so hard we're big Disney lovers so will still make the best of it Thankyou ✨

I think it really is very dependent on what triggers it. I had a student whose triggers were being too tired or being too hot so at a place like DLP that just needed sensible management.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Mattj500

Having a diagnosis of epilepsy shouldn't stop anyone using a ride, it is up to the guest and their carer support to know what is appropriate. There's a leaflet with some information https://brochure.disneylandparis.com/HCP/UK/catalogue/catalogs/DLP/index.html
You may find waiting times change. We have experienced longer waits on small world at times as they only allow a certain number of guests within each disability category on at a time, presumably to do with their evacuation procedure

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: claire2281 on June 04, 2018, 06:17:49 PM
Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on June 04, 2018, 11:45:41 AM

I think it really is very dependent on what triggers it. I had a student whose triggers were being too tired or being too hot so at a place like DLP that just needed sensible management.

At this moment we have no triggers its usually before bedtime or when he wakes up which is probably to do with being tired

sugared_fae

If he isn't photosensitive then it will just be a case of watching to ensure he doesn't get over tired and eats regularly.

Pacing helps alot so plan rides around parades and shows.

James360

Hi my wife suffers from epilepsy  and we are a Regular visitor to Dlp the only time she has had an attack was when we were queuing for the armagedon ride and that was because off all the heat and hustle  etc with the queuing , a on call doctor and Dlp fire and rescue insisted that she went to the medical  center and the care she was given was fantastic , I would recommend  that you have a list off all your medication  in French