Walt Disney Company to Increase Stake in Euro Disney Group

Started by whatsupanders, February 10, 2017, 08:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

Well if they see there's a way to monetise Salon Mickey then they'll probably do it. Perhaps they will just keep it as an excluse for current shareholders until a certain time.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

PMF

Quote from: TVPaulD on February 12, 2017, 05:48:59 PM
Quote from: Rocketeer on February 12, 2017, 04:42:35 PM
I see that the 1 day-1 park ticket for WDW is now $107/€100/£85 and Disneyland $97/€91/£77 (depending on the time of year/at the current exchange rate).

Should we be concerned that this could eventually become the norm in Paris?

One things for sure, a 1 day-1 park ticket is looking like a bargain at £45/€59/$62.
As long as they invest in the parks the way they do in America, I think it will be fine. Walt Disney Studios will need a lot of work to justify it though.
I wish I could share your optimism for how things are going for the parks in America. One of the few advantages DLP has despite it's relative neglect is the original park is still largely intact and has been spared some of the more boneheaded decisions made by the American Parks over the years.

TVPaulD

Quote from: PMF on February 15, 2017, 08:05:19 AM
Quote from: TVPaulD on February 12, 2017, 05:48:59 PM
Quote from: Rocketeer on February 12, 2017, 04:42:35 PM
I see that the 1 day-1 park ticket for WDW is now $107/€100/£85 and Disneyland $97/€91/£77 (depending on the time of year/at the current exchange rate).

Should we be concerned that this could eventually become the norm in Paris?

One things for sure, a 1 day-1 park ticket is looking like a bargain at £45/€59/$62.
As long as they invest in the parks the way they do in America, I think it will be fine. Walt Disney Studios will need a lot of work to justify it though.
I wish I could share your optimism for how things are going for the parks in America. One of the few advantages DLP has despite it's relative neglect is the original park is still largely intact and has been spared some of the more boneheaded decisions made by the American Parks over the years.

I appreciate that some of the changes are mistakes - I myself loathed that hat in Studios & the hand on Spaceship Earth in Epcot - but from a more pragmatic angle, leaving a park unchanged as long as Parc Disneyland has been is a mistake. The real money is in repeat visitors. If there's no new attractions, people are less likely to come back. That's bad for the business and it's bad for fans because a park that's struggling financially will cut back on show standards. Nobody wants to go back to 2013/14 show standards. Arcade machines with power cords running along the ground & duct tape holding the carpet down in the Star Tours post-show? You don't see that in Anaheim.

Rocketeer

I agree with both sides of the argument there.

The downside is, if they do end up with complete ownership, the "boneheaded" ideas won't be far behind. *cough* GotG Tower *cough*

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

A&S&O

Quote from: Rocketeer on February 15, 2017, 08:27:42 PM
I agree with both sides of the argument there.

The downside is, if they do end up with complete ownership, the "boneheaded" ideas won't be far behind. *cough* GotG Tower *cough*

I don't think the %age ownership makes any difference. TWDC has made the decisions for DLP for some years, if not forever.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Rocketeer

Fair comment. Question does arise then, other than the obvious cash problem holding them back, why have they been so slow to add things to the parks?

A&S&O

In the unlikey event that the takeover doesn't take place, will the same thing happen as when TWDC injected a load of cash a couple of years ago?

Will shareholders be given the option of buying more shares, so as not to dilute thier holdings?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Sulley's Arms

Quote from: Slimy yet satisfying on February 12, 2017, 10:56:52 PM
As I sat this morning with my lemon muffin and hot chocolate this was a real hub of chat in many languages ! I will miss Salon Mickey if that happens😢

It's odd that we may have been in the Salon at the same time on Sunday morning, discussing the same thing!

Blueberry muffin for me though!  :)
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

claire2281

Quote from: TVPaulD on February 15, 2017, 12:44:59 PM
I appreciate that some of the changes are mistakes - I myself loathed that hat in Studios & the hand on Spaceship Earth in Epcot - but from a more pragmatic angle, leaving a park unchanged as long as Parc Disneyland has been is a mistake. The real money is in repeat visitors. If there's no new attractions, people are less likely to come back. That's bad for the business and it's bad for fans because a park that's struggling financially will cut back on show standards. Nobody wants to go back to 2013/14 show standards. Arcade machines with power cords running along the ground & duct tape holding the carpet down in the Star Tours post-show? You don't see that in Anaheim.

I do think the clear upgrades help with that. Space Mountain, Star Tours and Pirates are all having major changes that make them must experience attractions for the return visitor. It's a good start. I'd like to see them put a great 4D show back into the Discoveryland Theatre - Star Wars themed seems the obvious choice. Again this would be a far cheaper than building a whole new ride and provide a quality stop gap if done right.

But yes, eventually something brand new will be needed and frankly there doesn't appear to be much space to do it. Looking at the overhead maps the most obvious space is between Indiana Jones and Pirates. Other contenders are some space by the Chaparral Theatre, next to It's a Small World (although the railroad may be in the way there and building around it/moving it adds to the expense) or just simply removing something like Autopia which has a huge footprint. That's just looking at raw space though, who knows how suitable that land is for building on and what issues there might be etc.

Compared to the Studios (which still has large sections land available - 3 or 4 times the size of the Ratatouille expansion in one section alone), DLP is definitely short of land. The railroad and roads mean they can't go much further back than they already have. And I wouldn't want them to shove attractions in for the sake of it and make an area too crowded.

Tbh I think the only two real options are the space next to IJ (but you have to find something that fits into that area) or removing Autopia - which personally wouldn't bother me as I think it's a huge waste of space but some would miss it.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

TVPaulD

Quote from: claire2281 on February 16, 2017, 10:40:12 AM
Tbh I think the only two real options are the space next to IJ (but you have to find something that fits into that area) or removing Autopia - which personally wouldn't bother me as I think it's a huge waste of space but some would miss it.
Yeah, I've been looking at the maps too & I agree, there's not a lot of untapped space. Something would certainly have to come out sooner or later - that's how they got Buzz Lightyear in after all. Reusing some of the more versatile attraction systems for new experiences would be another way to achieve it faster and cheaper. But for the big stuff, yeah, something has to go. I would say using both those areas is viable, but I might suggest rather than scrapping Autopia outright...Move it to Studios. Retheme it, maybe plus it a bit with some effects or something and it could find a new lease on life over there. Just needs to be placed well so that it doesn't choke off space for more substantial additions to Studios. If that can't be done though it's probably not worth fighting for. It's a ride I know some people have a lot of fondness for, but its got a pretty massive footprint and it's fairly outdated in a world where Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers exist.

Jonjo

Well the first park of the take over is complete The Walt Disney Company has now  increase their share holding in Euro Disney SCA to 85.7%.

So TWDC now own  a total of 671,425,195 shares in Disneyland Paris.

The move has reduced HRH Prince Alwaleed's stake via the Kingdom Holding Company to an all time low of 1% down  to 7,833,650 shares.  I'm sure he is happy as Kingdom have make a net profit of $61 million from the transaction

That just  leaves the remaining 13.3% or 104,105,657 shares distributed amongst corporate and individual shareholders.

We will know on the 19th April if the AMF has proved Disney's plan to offer a voluntary cash tender offer for 2 euros a share to shareholders  for the rest of the company.

The Disneyland Paris Shareholders Blog.
www.salonmickey.co.uk

Rocketeer

I know they're only paying €2 a share, but $61m? Wow. That's pocket change for Burbank. Let's hope when the dust settles on this complete deal that means there's plenty of cash left over in the budget for them to really Splash out on new attractions.