Budgeting!

Started by SazrahJay, January 30, 2017, 01:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SazrahJay

Hi! I'm going to DLP for the first time in June. We're staying Monday-Friday and the only meals we've booked are breakfast at our hotel. I was wondering how much spending money would people recommend? I'm not that bothered about eating fast food but we would like to have a few drinks while we are there plus lots of shopping haha! Also do the currency exchanges at DLP offer a good rate so I can change money while I go? Thank you! X

mlopezsa78

Hello,
I like most of fast food that you can eat in DLP: there´re so different menus from 11.99 euros to 14.99 (media) at fast food restaurants. You can eat fish&chips (Toad Hall), Hamburgers (Hyperion Café, Cowboy Cookout), roasted chicken (chalé au marionette), pizza&pasta (Bella Notte, Colonel Hatti), Mexican food (fuente del oro).

You can also have some meal at the buffets (my favourite are Agrabah café and Plaza Gardens), from 32 euros if i´m not wrong.

I never eat at the most expensive restaurants cause the menu quality are not worth the cost.

SazrahJay

Thanks for that! I do have to say I was left a little bit underwhelmed by the sit down restaurant menus. The only ones I really liked were the steakhouses!

Andybear

I've been to a few fast food places and my favourite is Hakuna Matata - their chicken strips and Hakuna fries are yummy  :) I also like Cowboy Cookout Barbecue

dlpowl

I wouldn't exchange currency in small amounts as you go along as that will work out more expensive in the long run.
I'd either take all euros with you or consider getting a Supercard.  I've got one and used it during my last trip to DLP.  They are brilliant, you get a really good rate of exchange and they are entirely free to use (apart from withdrawing cash).  For us, the combination of the Supercard and just taking a couple of hundred euros for small things like drinks, worked out the best way.  Here's the website https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard

It's a debit card that is linked directly to your U.K. Bank account so it's just like paying with your debit card like you normally do at home.  There's no fees, no credit agreement, nothing.  They really are so simple to use.

SazrahJay

Thanks for that Supercard idea! I'll definitely look into that. I'm looking at saving £1000 up for the trip and was planning on taking £500 in euros and then £500 and change as I go but the card sounds like a fantastic idea

Sulley15

I have stopped using a travel card, as you tend to get a better exchange rate and commissions you are generally better off. This being said it's only 1 or 2 cents more than if you get a travel card.

I generally get a few euros for the stalls and markets, but I normally use my bank debit card for most transactions.

The best thing is you don't get loads of coins left over or a weird amount in euros left on a card!
New York hotel March 2013
Cheyenne February 2015
Newport bay Compass room February 2017

dlpowl

The Travelex Supercard is not a pre loaded travel card.  It's a debit card that's linked to your UK bank account.  If I use my ordinary Halifax Visa Debit card abroad then Halifax charge me a fee for every transaction.  With the Supercard there's no fee, the transaction just comes out of your bank account and the exchange rate is the MasterCard Wholesale rate which is usually better than any high street rate.   So I just put all our holiday savings into my UK bank account then paid for almost everything using my Supercard.  When I got home, all my transactions were there, on my uk bank account, just like a normal debit card transaction.  I prefer it to a credit card because the money is coming out as I'm spending it.  With a credit card I would come home to a big bill!   They also have an app which shows you all the transactions you've made using the card so you can keep track of what you've spent. 

SazrahJay

I've been looking into that Supercard today and it definitely sounds like the way to go. Thank you so much for that suggestion!

Sulley15

Quote from: dlpowl on January 31, 2017, 02:57:48 PM
The Travelex Supercard is not a pre loaded travel card.  It's a debit card that's linked to your UK bank account.  If I use my ordinary Halifax Visa Debit card abroad then Halifax charge me a fee for every transaction.  With the Supercard there's no fee, the transaction just comes out of your bank account and the exchange rate is the MasterCard Wholesale rate which is usually better than any high street rate.   So I just put all our holiday savings into my UK bank account then paid for almost everything using my Supercard.  When I got home, all my transactions were there, on my uk bank account, just like a normal debit card transaction.  I prefer it to a credit card because the money is coming out as I'm spending it.  With a credit card I would come home to a big bill!   They also have an app which shows you all the transactions you've made using the card so you can keep track of what you've spent.

I have just looked at this, i think MasterCard has a better exchange rate compared to visa it was only 1 cents but it does add up.. I am confused to how travelex makes there money if they don't charge commissions or the non-sterling transaction fee.

Cheyenne February 2015

dlpowl

They charge for cash withdrawals (although I never used it for that) so they will make a little on those but I also wondered the same as you.  However, I thoroughly investigated the card before I got one, to make sure it wasn't a con, and it isn't.  My card worked exactly as it should and I'm using it again when I visit Barcelona in a few weeks time.

Sulley15

Just tried applying for this card, supercard aren't processing any new applications and there no ETA  :'( :'(

Rather annoying!
Cheyenne February 2015

SazrahJay

I know I looked at that too! I've found another one called Revolut that works in the same way by an app on your phone. Might be worth a look!

dlpowl

No way!  I know it's become extremely popular.  The whole process takes less than 2 weeks though so you have plenty of time.  I'm sure they will be available again soon.

Sulley15

Quote from: dlpowl on February 01, 2017, 08:05:15 PM
No way!  I know it's become extremely popular.  The whole process takes less than 2 weeks though so you have plenty of time.  I'm sure they will be available again soon.

There is people that have been waiting since last November...
Cheyenne February 2015