How far in advance do you tell your children?

Started by Elodie, January 22, 2017, 01:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elodie

We went for the first time last summer, and told the children a month in advance, with an invitation to celebrate my birthday there (which was on our first day.)

My husband wanted to not tell them at all, and let it dawn on them as we travelled / arrived. We'd had it booked for 16 months though, so I could not have waited any longer.

We've just booked to go back this Christmas, and I'm wondering how soon to tell them. Maybe we could go with my husband's plan this time? Or tell them with a homemade holiday countdown advent calendar on December 1st?

How soon do you tell your children? (Also interested in how you tell them, but I know there are lots of threads on that already.)

Vale

Hi Elodie...I'm about to have my first time too. I booked in September...we're at DLP the 26th April just in time for celebrate the 8th birthday of my 3rd son...I keep it secret until last Christmas...  I bought a Disney's castle 3d puzzle and tell them in that way...It was So great moment.they can't believe it was true

MrsRoachy

We didn't tell ours last year. They were so engrossed in their iPads in the car when we arrived they had no clue where they were. We stood in the hotel and they still hadn't realised so I had to tell them! Their reaction was amazing!

We go again in April and they've no clue. We won't tell them again and see if they realise any sooner! We've thrown them off the scent a bit too, we went by ferry last year, going in the car on eurotunnel this time!

Elodie

The puzzle is an ace idea, Vale, I might have to look out for one!

Mrs R, that's so funny that you had to tell them in the end! I wondered when ours would actually notice if we do that, they're not always the most observant children!! I think they might click this time though - we did the tunnel there and ferry back last time, and are planning to do the same again, so they'd probably guess once we got to the tunnel.

I did love being able to video their reaction last time - my 9 year old was about to pull her invitation out while my 5 year old was still opening hers, so I told her to wait and open them together. She peeked anyway, and her expression was priceless - she nearly burst waiting for her sister to catch up, then it was ear-piercing squeals all round!