Eurostar and Flying?

Started by Tai, January 19, 2017, 11:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tai

Has anyone done this before? I was looking at the Eurostar prices last night and I can't believe how expensive they are these days. 2 adults they've quoted me just over £300 direct for June. So I was wondering has anyone here taken either Eurostar one way and flew back the other way? I just wondering if it would save me any money. If not I think I may just book some flights otherwise.

Thanks in advice.

-Tai

rocker

The direct Eurostar prices do get a bit silly for peak times.  Once you've included the time & expense of getting from the airport I feel that if travelling from London, flying simply isn't worth it.  My advice is go on Eurostar, but indirect changing at Lille.  These are usually significantly cheaper that going direct and the change at Lille is pretty simple.  This can be booked in the normal way on the Eurostar web site.  Only thing us, when you do a search, as the Lille - Disney part of the journey is on a French TGV, then searching for June you will only be shown the direct service as TGV start selling their tickets only 3 months in advance.  You'll therefore need to wait for March before you will be able to see these other fares for your June travel date.  If you want an idea of prices & times then just take a look for April & you'll get an idea...then just be ready to go 3 months ahead of your travel date to snap up the best value tickets when they come on sale...

You could also go to Paris & then get the RER to MLV, but you'll pay a few Euros for the RER & it's a faff on a busy train...much better to take the Lille/TGV option.

boverington

We flew from Gatwick last September and it was a pain in the butt. The amount of time you loose is crazy. The cost of getting from CDG to Disney meant the total cost was on par with Eurostar.

Tai

Thanks for the replies.

I still don't know what option to take.  BA flights from heathrow costs just under £200 which seems ok but it still costs getting to heathrow as well as the transfer to the parks. So another £165 ish on top which is ok as that bill won't be due until a couple of weeks before I go.

I did ask Eurostar about indirect and they said they will go on sale in April sometime but I'm not sure about waiting just in case the flights go up in price.

I've fly with BA if I book it as a package with them but as I booked a Disney hotel with Disney I thought their transport addon worked out expensive but I am second guessing now.

Can someone recommend a site for booking flights with?

Lolly_Belle

I'm not sure where you are based, but we always fly from Southampton to Orly with Flybe and normally pay £35-£40 each way per person (add another £30 to include hold luggage) and then get the magic shuttle to the hotel. For 2 adults it works out £170 all in. Not sure if that's any help?
Sept 1999 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Jul 2000 - WDW off-site
Oct 2001 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Mar 2002 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Nov/Dec 2002 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Mar 2006 - DLP Disneyland Hotel
Dec/Jan 2008/9 - WDW Swan Hotel
Oct 2014 - DLP Disneyland Hotel
Jul 2016 - DLP Hotel New York
Nov/Dec 2017 - DLP Sequoia Lodge GF
May 2019 - DLP Newport Bay CC

Tai

Quote from: Lolly_Belle on January 21, 2017, 01:05:03 PM
I'm not sure where you are based, but we always fly from Southampton to Orly with Flybe and normally pay £35-£40 each way per person (add another £30 to include hold luggage) and then get the magic shuttle to the hotel. For 2 adults it works out £170 all in. Not sure if that's any help?

Southampton would be easier but when I checked Flybe they were more expensive than British Airways. I ended up booking with British Airways. I paid like £197 which is more or less the cheapest I could find.