Direct Eurostar services to DLP is under threat

Started by sunshine1, October 20, 2016, 03:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuelvictor

Hmm, that would be a great shame. I hadn't realised that the service has been reduced already to once every 2 days and not at all in January and February.

The fact you can get a train direct from London to the Parks is a huge asset to Disney. Many people, especially the first time, are concerned about getting from Lille or CDG to the parks. Of course, we know its easy, but for first timers its certainly a factor. Also, considering that if you pay for a package, your first day is included, the more time you can save, the better value that you get.

Maybe Disney could subsidise them? Surely it can't cost that much in electricity/fuel, insurance and staff per day? £500-1000? I'm sure they'd lose more than that in people being put off travelling... or at least put on a dedicated regular "free" (ie included in your package) Disney branded train from Lille and CDG to the parks - long with very obvious branding and staff that speak English etc...

15stitch

That would be a real shame.  I always take the direct train as it just so easy (especially with luggage, pushchair and a toddler).

1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

DisneyGagaChick

tinkerbell17

I had to do the indirect train last year if u get a package they include the tgv aswell u have to wait about a hour for but that the only thing they have even started doing indirect trains back to London which I think is more inconvenient when u always have more bags coming home

MickeyAteMyCap

Considering next year is Disneyland Paris's 25th anniversary and will therefore mean they will get a lot more people using the service, they'd be pretty stupid to cancel it before 2018.

Andybear

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on October 23, 2016, 04:09:20 PM
Considering next year is Disneyland Paris's 25th anniversary and will therefore mean they will get a lot more people using the service, they'd be pretty stupid to cancel it before 2018.

That's what I'm hoping  :)

Mushu_Stitch

The last 3 times I have been to DLP I have used the direct Eurostar as it's so convenient getting straight to the parks. However, the price of it on top of the rest of the package was always painful so I wouldn't be surprised if cost is putting people off. When I went earlier this year the train tickets alone for 2 people near enough doubled the cost of our whole holiday and we bought them nearly 6 months in advance when they are supposedly cheaper.

Now for next year we are looking at driving and although it takes longer it sounds like a good option because it is so much more flexible. The one thing I always disliked about the direct train service was there being only one per day each way meaning we were stuck with those times when I would have much preferred to leave earlier first day and later last day to get more time in the parks. Driving would definitely give us that option by comparison as well as being so much cheaper.

Yes it would be a shame to lose the direct service as it is so convenient and easy but at the same time I can understand why numbers have been in decline. For holiday-goers on a tight budget, the cost of tickets is just unreasonable. I would assume they would keep the indirect service (as I believe local trains as well as eurostar go into Marne-la-vallee) so it's not like that travel option will be gone altogether, it will just have a little bit of faffing to change trains part way.

Andybear

I can't drive so that's one option I can't use unfortunately.  Since it's just me travelling from the UK I'm happy to pay the charge for the direct Eurostar service.  I don't live far from London so it's a good option for me.  I lose out on the room cost though - one person staying in a room is really expensive! 

RockNRoller

For me flying and the indirect train is a big waste of time at Disney. I love the direct route, the convenience and the fact there is no luggage limit for the return journey. Good thing with all the souvenirs we buy.

I really hope they will see the 25th as an opportunity to grow this service. I remember when the Disney Express service meant you got your tickets at the London station before even boarding the Eurostar and I'm sure on occasions there was even a brass band.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

mickeyspal

We've been travelling by the direct train for many years as it's just ideal for us, my son isn't a keen flyer but also we detest flying into CDG airport. My family like to travel by train, coming down from northeast Scotland  to London, usually a couple of days before we are due to travel to DLP so we can take in a couple of westend shows. It's an expensive way of getting to DLP but its worth it to us and a relaxed way of travelling. We'll be booking for 2017 and hoping to travel the direct train; we'll also have a baby with us this time which means lots of extra luggage to carry which the train is again the best option
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

TikiRosita

I just used direct to DLP Eurostar for the first time last week and hated it. The direct train was full of screaming children (i know, they are excited for Disney, but still... the headache after 3 hours was horrendous). the indirect train back via Lille was much more peaceful.
Disneyland Paris - Feb 2014 / Hong Kong Disneyland - November 2015 / Walt Disney World - March 2016 / Disneyland Paris - October 2016

01wdw04

Quote from: samuelvictor on October 21, 2016, 09:57:09 AM
Hmm, that would be a great shame. I hadn't realised that the service has been reduced already to once every 2 days and not at all in January and February.

The fact you can get a train direct from London to the Parks is a huge asset to Disney. Many people, especially the first time, are concerned about getting from Lille or CDG to the parks. Of course, we know its easy, but for first timers its certainly a factor. Also, considering that if you pay for a package, your first day is included, the more time you can save, the better value that you get.

Maybe Disney could subsidise them? Surely it can't cost that much in electricity/fuel, insurance and staff per day? £500-1000? I'm sure they'd lose more than that in people being put off travelling... or at least put on a dedicated regular "free" (ie included in your package) Disney branded train from Lille and CDG to the parks - long with very obvious branding and staff that speak English etc...

Likewise, I hadn't appreciated the train isn't running in Jan/Feb. I'd been looking at possible weekend trips around then but alas.

In Jan 2016 we (2 adults) took the indirect train back from DLP and the change at Lille was a bit of a pain. It was on a Monday evening and the passport controls at Lille were ill-equipped for the large number of people stepping off the TGV and heading for the Eurostar. As the indirect route is sold as one package, a significant number of people on that TGV will be en route to London.

Other than the change, though, the trip itself was great. We used the Disney Express service to leave our bags at our Disney Hotel and they were ready waiting for us at the station in the afternoon, giving us half a day extra in the parks. No check-in is required, as it's an internal French train, something you would not get on the direct Eurostar; you just need to be in time to get down to the platform and hop on your train.

As the article says, this also ties in to wider cuts to Eurostar services to mainland Europe amid security/Brexit concerns, so perhaps not something Disney have a great deal of control over.
DLP - 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2012 x2, 2013
WDW - 2001, 2004
Tokyo - 20?? (tbc)

stormflm595

I've just booked the direct train for 4th September - 8th September 2017 with no problems. So maybe it's only affecting certain days you can use it on? I happened to check last night how much the train for the Monday would be and as I had to choose Thursday (7th Sept) to have a look, it flashed up with a warning that direct trains did not travel on Thursday and to choose another date. I'm not sure if this is normal or if the service used to be available every day since I have never used it before.
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

RockNRoller

Quote from: stormflm595 on December 02, 2016, 02:52:29 PM
it flashed up with a warning that direct trains did not travel on Thursday and to choose another date. I'm not sure if this is normal or if the service used to be available every day since I have never used it before.
Last year when we booked we were told the direct service only ran on Mondays and Fridays. The theory being people would be going for long weekends. Really pleased you were able to book in September next year, looks good for our trip in November.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"