Meal Plan - How does it work?

Started by Mushu_Stitch, October 28, 2016, 01:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mushu_Stitch

Hi all,

We are doing some early planning to go for the 25th anniversary next year (around September). I know by that point breakfast will not be included in the package so we have been looking at the meal plans to see if they would be worthwhile. Previous times we have not bothered as we are savy with our money and never spent too much on food but I'm happy to do a meal plan if it's better value for money all round to cover breakfast too.

I have been reading up on it but I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find answers for. If anyone could give some insight from times you have done meal plans then that would be brilliant and hugely appreciated.

- No idea if anyone will actually know at this point but will there be a meal plan for just breakfast? I saw it mentioned on DLP Guide but couldn't find anything about it on the actual DLP website. Is this a legit meal plan?
- How restricted are the meal plans? Is it only set items on the menu we can pick from?
- I know the meal plan is just for the Disney restaurants but we really enjoy going to Planet Hollywood. Would we have to lose our vouchers for that meal if we went there? I think I saw somewhere that vouchers can be swapped for money in cases like that but is that true?
- Regarding the amount paid for a meal plan per person, is that the only money we would have to spend or does it act more like a deposit and then we pay the difference? If it's the latter than is there really any point to doing a meal plan if it's like for like or does it include a bit of a discount?

Sorry for so many questions but any input would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!  ;D

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: Mushu_Stitch on October 28, 2016, 01:19:35 PM
- How restricted are the meal plans? Is it only set items on the menu we can pick from?
When you use meal plan vouchers they cover you for a set meal in a restaurant, depending on the voucher plan level. You will be told which restaurants your particular plan covers for a full set meal.  Outside of this, for example if you want to eat off the al a carte menu or if you want to eat at a restaurant which is not on your meal plan price range, you can use the vouchers are part payment and then pay the balance in cash r on a card.

- I know the meal plan is just for the Disney restaurants but we really enjoy going to Planet Hollywood. Would we have to lose our vouchers for that meal if we went there? I think I saw somewhere that vouchers can be swapped for money in cases like that but is that true?
Non Disney resturants in The Village such as Planet Hollywood, Starbucks, Earl of Sandwich McDonalds do not accept meal plan vouchers. You would have to pay the normal price just like everyone else. You wouldnt "lose" the vouchers, you could still use them in any Disney restaurant on that day but if you dont use them on the specified date, then yes you lose the money value of that voucher. 

- Regarding the amount paid for a meal plan per person, is that the only money we would have to spend or does it act more like a deposit and then we pay the difference? If it's the latter than is there really any point to doing a meal plan if it's like for like or does it include a bit of a discount?

If you only eat in the restaurants covered by the meal plan and only eat the set menus covered by the vouchers then the meal vouchers are the only thing you need for your food during your visit.

Disney really push the meal plans as
1. its guaranteed revenue for them, as you pay for all your food in advance before your visit to the park. They dont really care if you dont use all the vouchers as you have already given them your money. Many people come home with unused vouchers.
2. its Disney's way of making sure you spend your money in Disney restaurants and not in places like Planet Hollywood
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

loulou169

Hi, I've just booked for October 2017 and have added the half board plus to my booking. You can book just the breakfasts as a meal plan or you can have combos of breakfast/hotel only restaurant, breakfast/half board plus, etc. I paid just over £400 for me and my two girls (aged 10 &15) and that's 5 days of dining. I'm also rating st the hotel Cheyenne. Xx
Santa Fe: Oct 2011
Santa Fe: Oct 2012
Cheyenne: Apr 2014
Hotel Kyriad: Mar 2017
SLGF: October 2017
Santa Fe: Feb 2018

Mushu_Stitch

Quote.- How restricted are the meal plans? Is it only set items on the menu we can pick from?
When you use meal plan vouchers they cover you for a set meal in a restaurant, depending on the voucher plan level. You will be told which restaurants your particular plan covers for a full set meal.  Outside of this, for example if you want to eat off the al a carte menu or if you want to eat at a restaurant which is not on your meal plan price range, you can use the vouchers are part payment and then pay the balance in cash r on a card.

Quote from: Mushu_Stitch on Today at 12:19:35 PM
Non Disney resturants in The Village such as Planet Hollywood, Starbucks, Earl of Sandwich McDonalds do not accept meal plan vouchers. You would have to pay the normal price just like everyone else. You wouldnt "lose" the vouchers, you could still use them in any Disney restaurant on that day but if you dont use them on the specified date, then yes you lose the money value of that voucher. 

Quote from: Mushu_Stitch on Today at 12:19:35 PM

If you only eat in the restaurants covered by the meal plan and only eat the set menus covered by the vouchers then the meal vouchers are the only thing you need for your food during your visit.

Disney really push the meal plans as
1. its guaranteed revenue for them, as you pay for all your food in advance before your visit to the park. They dont really care if you dont use all the vouchers as you have already given them your money. Many people come home with unused vouchers.
2. its Disney's way of making sure you spend your money in Disney restaurants and not in places like Planet Hollywood

Thanks for all the information, that's all very useful. With regards to the set menus to choose from is there somewhere that outlines which applies to which plan? I know a lot of the table service restaurants have 2 or 3 set menus as well as al a carte so I assume the top end meal plans would cover the 3 course set menus while a cheaper one would cover the 2 course menu only?

QuoteHi, I've just booked for October 2017 and have added the half board plus to my booking. You can book just the breakfasts as a meal plan or you can have combos of breakfast/hotel only restaurant, breakfast/half board plus, etc. I paid just over £400 for me and my two girls (aged 10 &15) and that's 5 days of dining. I'm also rating st the hotel Cheyenne

Thanks for confirming the breakfast only meal plan is an option, gives us another option to consider. Cheyenne is also our favourite so that gives us a rough idea of the cost too

loulou169

I'm glad you've asked this question (and I'm glad I could help you with at least part of yours!)  as I've not been DLP for a couple of years and have forgotten how the vouchers work in relation to the menu as on the menu there are a few different price ranges to choose from xx
Santa Fe: Oct 2011
Santa Fe: Oct 2012
Cheyenne: Apr 2014
Hotel Kyriad: Mar 2017
SLGF: October 2017
Santa Fe: Feb 2018

Annibee

The dates on the vouchers are usually for the whole period that you are there, so you don't have to use them on a specific date - you can use two one one day and none on another. You won't get one for the day you are leaving but if you have not used one on one of the previous days for another reason you can use it then  - makes things slightly more flexible.

Mushu_Stitch

Thanks all for the input given so far.

Does anyone know at all if the set menus at table service restaurants for the meal plans are all available? For instance, if I did the 'Plus' meal plan would I be able to choose from all of the set menus or only the cheapest one? I have found details about which restaurants I could go to but I cannot find anything that specifies exactly how restricted the menu itself is. I don't want a meal plan if we won't even be able to have the meals we want and are forced to have something else.

Can anyone shed some light on this?