First ever trip to Florida Feb 2017!

Started by littlebitofpixiedust, September 02, 2016, 06:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

Ok, so we're pretty clued up with DLP. But disneyworld will be another story entirely.

We're going for 7nights and staying at give kids the world which is a resort linked by shuttle bus for disabled children.
So we have 4days Disney park ticket 1 universal and 1 sea world.

Any tips suggestions and thoughts? Must dos? I'd be grateful indeed  :D thanks!

stormflm595

I've never been but I would definitely do the attractions that are exclusive to Orlando e.g. Snow Whites Mine Train, Splash Mountain, Speedway (not sure if that's the actual name). Oh and definitely Soarin'!

Definitely walk once around the World Showcase and I think out of the night time shows id definitely try and see the closing show for Hollywood Studios as that seems to be the most loved and the most exclusive to Disney World.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so I think if I spent 1 day at Universal I would be at the Harry Potter parts as they look so immersive and detailed that you'd need the whole day to do the rides and fully appreciate it.
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: stormflm595 on September 02, 2016, 07:43:13 PM
I've never been but I would definitely do the attractions that are exclusive to Orlando e.g. Snow Whites Mine Train, Splash Mountain, Speedway (not sure if that's the actual name). Oh and definitely Soarin'!

Definitely walk once around the World Showcase and I think out of the night time shows id definitely try and see the closing show for Hollywood Studios as that seems to be the most loved and the most exclusive to Disney World.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so I think if I spent 1 day at Universal I would be at the Harry Potter parts as they look so immersive and detailed that you'd need the whole day to do the rides and fully appreciate it.

I would like to also try their space mountain :)

Thing is my son is only 8 and wouldn't cope well with the more intense attractions due to his disability splash mountain looks fab i have to admit I've never watched Harry Potter! My partner has but I'll have to watch them before our trip I don't know why I d never seen them!

sentosa

I used to work at Give Kids the World and also WDW, you will be given lots of advice at the village, I would suggest you don't try and do too much in one day. Because you have a wish child you will be able to jump the lines so do wear the GKTW badge. The characters come to the village  and there is lots of things going on at the village, you will love it,it is a very special place and it was an honor to work there.I would take the stern wheeler boat across to the magic kingdom the first day you go in it is lovely to see the park getting closer and builds the excitement.For up to date news try WDWMAGIC.Com there is a forum on there which may be helpfull. Enjoy your trip and the village it is magical.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: sentosa on September 03, 2016, 08:00:38 PM
I used to work at Give Kids the World and also WDW, you will be given lots of advice at the village, I would suggest you don't try and do too much in one day. Because you have a wish child you will be able to jump the lines so do wear the GKTW badge. The characters come to the village  and there is lots of things going on at the village, you will love it,it is a very special place and it was an honor to work there.I would take the stern wheeler boat across to the magic kingdom the first day you go in it is lovely to see the park getting closer and builds the excitement.For up to date news try WDWMAGIC.Com there is a forum on there which may be helpfull. Enjoy your trip and the village it is magical.

Wow you used to work there! It does look amazing I've looked on YouTube it looks fantastic for children with disabilities we as a family feel incredibly blessed that were going to be stating at give kids the world. I love the idea of the boat my little boy will love it, we are not going to rush to my hand just try and enjoy things at my sons pace.

I'm extremely nervous but you've made me feel a lot better knowing we will get advice when we arrive my son has never even flown! And I haven't since I had him! Thank you for reassuring me :)

twigs72

Just plan on what you want to do day by day as you would do as going DLP, I would take it easy as I don't think you will get everything done for WDW in the 4 days. I was there at WDW about 18 years ago before I had a family and it was just my brother and me and it was a 10 days in Orlando and we only managed to get most things done in WDW and the studios plus universal, wet and wild but I can't remember if we did sea world. I shall be planning a trip soon to WDW as they enjoyed the trip to DLP this year in August

Your son should be fine flying, there are entertainment systems on the seats to keep them occupied. Have a great trip ;)

sentosa

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on September 09, 2016, 08:07:49 AM
Quote from: sentosa on September 03, 2016, 08:00:38 PM

Wow you used to work there! It does look amazing I've looked on YouTube it looks fantastic for children with disabilities we as a family feel incredibly blessed that were going to be stating at give kids the world. I love the idea of the boat my little boy will love it, we are not going to rush to my hand just try and enjoy things at my sons pace.

I'm extremely nervous but you've made me feel a lot better knowing we will get advice when we arrive my son has never even flown! And I haven't since I had him! Thank you for reassuring me :)

Your son will enjoy the village they encourage having ice cream for breakast lol. Go to the Give kids the world web site it will give you up to date news about the village, they have been building more villas since I worked there.The families with wish children all say it is a wonderful place. Do not worry about anything, the staff are there to answer all your questions and help  you, and I just know your son will not want to leave. I used to start my day with a ride on the carosel (sp). A very special place.

littlebitofpixiedust

It looks amazing! I've even ordered the book that Henri wrote "the gift of life" what an amazing man!

We're super excited and I already know I'll cry reading some other parents comments! It must've been incredible to be part of such a wonderful place

Zee79

I had a look at their website & it's looks fab!!! I think you are going to have an amazing time, both there & in Disney!
Enjoy!!!!

sentosa

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on September 11, 2016, 10:00:56 AM
It looks amazing! I've even ordered the book that Henri wrote "the gift of life" what an amazing man!

We're super excited and I already know I'll cry reading some other parents comments! It must've been incredible to be part of such a wonderful place
Henri was and still is a very special man. An incredible life to survive the nazi death camp and create such a wonderful village for children with life threatening illness to make their wishes come true.He is an hard task master but only for the good of the children, and everyone loves him. It was a special time of my life, a lot of people are unable to work there , thinking it would be a sad place but I used to say no Disney isn't the happiest place on earth, Give kids the world is. I miss it.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: sentosa on September 11, 2016, 08:23:04 PM
Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on September 11, 2016, 10:00:56 AM

Henri was and still is a very special man. An incredible life to survive the nazi death camp and create such a wonderful village for children with life threatening illness to make their wishes come true.He is an hard task master but only for the good of the children, and everyone loves him. It was a special time of my life, a lot of people are unable to work there , thinking it would be a sad place but I used

to say no Disney isn't the happiest place on earth, Give kids the world is. I miss it.

He certainly is incredible to have come through what he did and turn it into a positive for others going through hardships of there own, I must say though I'm Disney mad I am looking forward to being at give kids the world just as much as visiting Disney world. I think I'll cry just reading about it wells me up!

petals

Don't plan on seeing Magic Kingdom in one day :D It's huge.

Animal Kingdom we've always done in half a day but we're not big coaster fans and I know they have a new night time show now.

If you get to Epcot early do the front of the park first and then explore world showcase from around 11/12 onwards.

Hollywood studios sounds like it's currently under alot of construction so that may be another half day park. If you're tickets are park hoppers I would use the rest of the time in Magic Kingdom cos you will not see that in one day.

Seaworld get there when the park opens get a map and time your shows so you can get everything in.
I think we always went Sealions, Dolphins then Shamu and it worked out

Universal if you've only one day to do two parks pick what you are most interested in and do that first.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: petals on October 13, 2016, 02:51:13 AM
Don't plan on seeing Magic Kingdom in one day :D It's huge.

Animal Kingdom we've always done in half a day but we're not big coaster fans and I know they have a new night time show now.

If you get to Epcot early do the front of the park first and then explore world showcase from around 11/12 onwards.

Hollywood studios sounds like it's currently under alot of construction so that may be another half day park. If you're tickets are park hoppers I would use the rest of the time in Magic Kingdom cos you will not see that in one day.

Seaworld get there when the park opens get a map and time your shows so you can get everything in.
I think we always went Sealions, Dolphins then Shamu and it worked out

Universal if you've only one day to do two parks pick what you are most interested in and do that first.

Thanks for the tips!

Won't be doing the bigger rides as I'm pregnant plus my little boy wouldn't want to ride the scary stuff!

We have 2 days for universal one for sa world and 4 for Disney! This was all thanks to one amazing charity to get my little boy who loves Disney but suffers with severe disabilities he's wish :)

petals

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on October 15, 2016, 04:19:44 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Won't be doing the bigger rides as I'm pregnant plus my little boy wouldn't want to ride the scary stuff!

We have 2 days for universal one for sa world and 4 for Disney! This was all thanks to one amazing charity to get my little boy who loves Disney but suffers with severe disabilities he's wish :)

That's brilliant :)

If you're not doing bigger rides then in Universal I'd see stuff like Harry Potter areas in both parks. IOA has Seuss landing which is good for younger kids and Universal has like ET ride and the Animal Actors show which is good as well.

If you can get your hands on Disney maps before you go I would maybe plan out what you want to do and see in each park and get a park hopper ticket so you can change parks once you're done with one because as I said you won't get Magic Kingdom done in one day it's huge

A&S&O

Both Universal parks have simple wet areas - in Suess land and Curious George. If the weather is good, take a towel and some clothes for your son to get wet in. We've spent ages in both areas - dry benches available for weary parents!
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?