Cafe Mickey to lose characters for 25th celebrations

Started by stormflm595, July 27, 2016, 05:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wimmekepunk

Quote from: MattR on July 27, 2016, 08:36:50 PM
Makes sense if you want to meet the characters you have to buy a ticket first.

I would find it kind of strange if this would be the reason behind the (maybe temporary) closure. They would have change the setup of Inventions too since you can still meet them there without having park tickets.

Disneyland Paris would also be the only resort where this rule would be in place since you can dine at every other resort without actually having park tickets.
feb2020 WDW Pop Century+Boardwalk
sep2019 DLP offsite
sep2019 DLP Sequoia
may2019 DLP Sequoia
apr2019 DLR offsite
dec2018 WDW Pop Century+Old Key West
oct2018 DLP Sequoia
jun2018 DLP Sequoia
apr2018 DLP Sequoia
sep2017 DLP Off Site
jan 2017 DLP Sequoia
oct 2016 DLP Sequoia
sep 2016 WDW Saratoga Springs
jun 2016 DLR Off Site
apr 2016 DLP Sequoia
jan 2016 DLP Sequoia
dec 2015 DLP Sequoia
oct 2015 WDW Off Site
jun 2015 WDW Off Site
apr 2015 DLP Sequoia
oct 2013 DLP Off Site
apr 2013 DLP Off Site

DisneyDuckLover

For those asking, yes, this is a permanent closure of CM as a character dining location.
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram:
@DisneyDuckLover

I visit DLP regularly as a Dreams AP guest, and in the past year have visited HKDL and WDW.

My next long haul trip is Disneyland in California.

I am obsessed with the Disney duck gang!

dazzle_v2003

This isn't 100% confirmed by Disney as of yet but after them removing the characters from hotels etc it's extremely likely this will happen next year. Disney Village was designed for the locals and their residents as a shopping/entertainment district.

Disney want their characters to be for Disney paid guests who have paid instead of the locals abusing the system so to speak . Plaza gardens in the park would be a lovely alternative to eat and of course there is always Inventions which I believe is staying as it is.

It's a shame Cafe Mickey is going as I've had many happy meals there before with great character interactions but I understand Disney want Disney paying guests exclusive access to enjoy the characters in the park.

MattR

Quote from: wimmekepunk on July 28, 2016, 03:31:24 PM
Quote from: MattR on July 27, 2016, 08:36:50 PM
Makes sense if you want to meet the characters you have to buy a ticket first.

I would find it kind of strange if this would be the reason behind the (maybe temporary) closure. They would have change the setup of Inventions too since you can still meet them there without having park tickets.

Disneyland Paris would also be the only resort where this rule would be in place since you can dine at every other resort without actually having park tickets.

Of course this would only make sense if they would do it permanently.

Inventions is a bit different from my point of view.
First of all you have to know about it, it is nothing you recognize by walking around, secondly there is the hurdle that you have to enter the hotel (ok didn´t stop them from taking the characters out of the public zones from the hotels) and last but not least Inventions is like twice the price, so it might be still interesting from a commercial point of view.

The village concept as it was originally planned doesn´t exist anymore except for the Wild West Show there is nothing Disney typical there left after Cafe Mickey closes except the stores.

Rainbow Forest or Planet Hollywood is fun once a year if you don´t have one in the area you are living, but that is nothing I would spend 2 hours on a plane for and pay Disney premium prices.

nathalie

Inventions or the brunch isn't really for paying guests either, as you can enter the DHL without needing a park ticket either.

Ohana

Surely if they bring it to Plaza Gardens they'll have to change up the characters a bit in either there or inventions though? Otherwise to me it seems they'd be just one and the same but with PG winning due to an assumed lower price? I know where I'd choose anyway. Also I'll certainly miss my CM breakfasts we book one on every trip, cheap cheerful character dining with pain au raisins and banana yogurts:D
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

rebecca20

Unless CM changes to something else I can't see many people visiting if there are no characters... It's expensive anyway but without characters it's ridiculously overpriced!
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Disneyland Paris

Is it confirmed that this will happen as I was looking forward to this when planning for the April 2017 trip?

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Disneyland Paris on August 26, 2016, 11:35:25 PM
Is it confirmed that this will happen as I was looking forward to this when planning for the April 2017 trip?

No, but it does seem very likely.

dlpowl

We also enjoy Cafe Mickey because we go during low season, when the parks close early, so we eat after the parks have closed.  Surely a sensible option would be to keep character dining in the village but make it exclusive for hotel guests and annual pass holders only?

We have also experienced character dining in Plaza Gardens, back in 2008, when they used to do a special birthday lunch.  It's was my eldest sons 4th birthday so we went there for the birthday special.  The characters worked well in there, and each birthday child got a plush toy and a birthday cake.  It was great, such a shame they don't do it anymore.

DisneyDuckLover

There is a high likelihood that these changes will only apply to breakfast offerings.
@DisneyDuckLover

I visit DLP regularly as a Dreams AP guest, and in the past year have visited HKDL and WDW.

laylanmummyluvdisney

Would this mean that character breakfast would be in the park at plaza gardens also

We are booked for Sept 2017
Hotel New York                          September 2005
Sequioa Lodge                 June 2014
Cheyenne                   October 2015

**************next trip************
Santa Fe             September 2017

DisneyDuckLover

It means there will probably be no character breakfast at Cafe Mickey, and yes, it would be at Plaza Gardens.
@DisneyDuckLover