Planning a trip to DLP. Help

Started by Pamela, August 18, 2016, 09:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pamela

Some of you may have already read it in my introduction post, but as I don't expect many of you to read them, I will tell you my story.

So my birthday is coming up (okay, some may think of a birthday on October 1st isn't per se upcoming, but I do!) and my boyfriend wants to take me to Disney. I have never been there, he has when he was young. We've decided to combine the celebration of my birthday with the celebration of our 4 year anniversary, so we've decided to plan our trip in November. I really wanted to see the magical Christmas decor, so we wanted to go from November 13th (our anniversary) till November 17th. My boyfriend stayed at the Cheyenne Hotel when he was little and he really wants to stay there again. I must say; out of all the hotels I've looked at, this one seems the most fun. But I could obviously be wrong.

Okay, so we looked at rooms and we've been thinking of booking a Texas room. It's been refurbished (I think?) and there are no details on the room that I have been able to find. So I have a few questions:
1) Is there a bath tub or is it just a shower? (We've made it a tradition to take a bathbomb with us on trips to use in the tub since we don't have a bath.)
2) Is there a fridge in the room? (We want to take drinks and something to eat with us, so it would be nice if we could put that in the fridge, right?)
3) Are there facilities to make coffee or tea in the room?
4) Is there a safe in the room? You know, to store my camera in on days I don't want to be carrying that around?

Okay, my boyfriend is paying for everything, since it's a gift to me (I am such a spoiled, but very grateful and happy girl), but I don't want him to pay more than would be absolutely necessary. So I'm looking at ways to save money (I'm not cheap or greedy, it's just... I feel a bit guilty for not being able to chip in... I'm a student, you know....) So I have a few questions on this too!
5) Is it okay to bring lunch and snacks into the park? Like... Bring a backpack and stuff it with sandwiches and drinks etc? I've read that they check your backs at the entrance of the park and toss your food and drinks and I wouldn't want that, although with the now much needed security, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
6) I'm a fussy eater, are there restaurants to eat normal food that are not too expensive?

Also, something that I've been thinking (I won't lie to you; I've been stressing about it...) about: What do you recommend we do when it rains? I hope it won't rain during the 5 days we go, but there's quite a big chance it will....

Those were my questions and my very long story (sorry...) and I would love it if you took the time to read it and try and answer some of the questions I have. Thank you in advance!

dlpowl

Hi there,

It's totally understandable that you have lots of questions!  I'll try and help a little!

Yes, you are allowed to take a back pack into the parks with snacks and drinks in, most people do, but you're not allowed to take in like a full on picnic hamper.  Security would probably take issue with that as strictly speaking you're not meant to take picnics in.  But yes, if you have, say, a sandwich, crisps, an apple and a drink, they would be fine with that.  We are a family of five so we always take snack and drinks in. As long as you're not overloaded, you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as meals go, have you considered getting a half board eating plan in with your booking?  This basically allows you to eat at various restaurants in the hotels and the parks and you save some money by booking and paying for it in advance as part of your holiday.  Disney sometimes have offers on where you can get half board free or half price.  Having the meals included is a great way to budget because you don't have to worry about paying for your meals.  It is VERY expensive to eat at Disneyland Paris unless you want McDonalds everyday so I'd really recommend booking the half board if you can.   Most of the restaurants are buffet style and there's plenty of choice, you really don't need to worry if you're a fussy eater, there's something for everybody.   

I've never stayed at Cheyenne and I've never been in the cold weather so I can't help with the other questions unfortunately but I'm sure someone else will be along soon.  Have a great time!

polar vixen

Take a rain Mac! The rides at dlp don't do in bad weather. Rides like dumbo Peter pan and space mountain have covered over queue areas so they're all OK, also liberty arcade (a long hall which runs down the back of the ships each side of main street is full of interesting things to look at in the rain.
The Cheyenne is a really fun hotel although you won't find fridges in any of the room so if taking snacks go for cereal bars etc that don't need to be refrigerated.
I second the meal plan suggestion. Around the end September/beginning October there's generally a 30 percent of and free half board deal on which typically works out well and quite a saving. You also get a free tea time treat-drink and doughnut or magnum for each night you are staying which saves 5.50 per person per day alone. Buffets are great- there's plenty of option, normal food and new things to try and very well stocked desserts!!

stormflm595

I've stayed at Santa Fe a couple of times which is also a budget hotel across the river from Cheyenne but as you will be staying in a newly refurbished room, I'm not sure about room amenities. All I know is fridges won't be available so definitely take snacks that you can keep out in the warmth as polar vixen mentioned and that each room in Disney hotels, whether it be budget or 5 star have a safe to store personal belongings.

I think both dlpowl and polar vixen nail everything on the head, except I don't think you necessarily need a half board meal plan, or any plan, when it's just two of you. I think they work really well for families and large groups but they can be quite limited to what you can actually eat if you didn't fancy a buffet and you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune on food. I really think you can do food at DLP on a budget, as long as you're willing to eat at Counter Service as well as Table Service (which is where it gets pricey) and perhaps throw in a McDonald's. Of course, as it's your first time and it's for a special occasion you may well want to eat at Table Service but if you're a fussy eater you may not find much on the menu that you'll like (my problem too! :D). Some of the best meals I've had at DLP have been Counter Service (Hakuna Matata in Adventureland and The Lucky Nugget Saloon in Frontierland - though this is technically Table Service but I count it as Counter Service from how you order etc for example) but I do think it comes down to what you like the look of on each menu and how much you want to do Table Service, character meals etc. I'll pop a link below to a guide that tells you what's on each of the restaurant menus and it might help make your decision on whether a meal plan would be beneficial or if you'd be better off paying as you go.

http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/

I'll also drop a link in below this for a guide on how the meal plans work and what you get etc.

http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/meal-plans/

Hope this helps :)
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

dlpowl

If you fancy a character meal experience, the cheapest way is to do breakfast at Cafe Mickey one morning which is about £15 per person for hotel guests.  Cafe Mickey does do lunch and dinner too but it's more expensive and the reviews of late have been a bit hit and miss so we've decided to do breakfast this year.

Inventions is meant to be a very good character buffet but at about €65 each its pricy.   Characters aren't important to everybody but if you do want to meet characters, we've always enjoyed our character meals.  It's lovely having them come to your table and you get a really good interaction with them.

Pamela

Thanks a lot for all the replies!

We've just read the tips on booking meal plans and we started looking into it and we found that for us a meal plan would actually be a bit more expensive (even with the standard meal plan!). The menupages are very helpful, as I get more insight in what is being served. I now know what restaurants to skip and what restaurants would more likely be suitable.

I'm glad I can take lunch and drinks into the parks! My boyfriends wants to soak in all of the magic he can and he's said that he wants to eat in Disney restaurants as often as possible, but I feel that he's just overenthusiastic right now, but will not so much be ending up paying more for food than for staying at the hotel  ;D

Has anyone already stayed at the Texas rooms? I'm so curious about them.
Also; what are your tips for rainy days?

Nicola

I have stayed in the old hotel rooms in the Cheyenne and the only difference is that they took away the bunk beds for the children and swapped them to an extra double instead, no issue if its just the 2 of you. Definitely go for an upgraded room some of the older ones are very tired now. They do have a bath its a fairly standard hotel bath not sure unless you are both small you would fit in together however. 

As someone else says you will be able to take a few snacks and drinks in with you however if it looked like the kind of picnic you would put a rug out for you wouldn't be encouraged to do that. We always take water bottles in for our children and we go full board, there is just always those we need a drink moments.

We find the meal plans work for us but I have never costed out as a couple the basic plan (the cheapest one) we have found to be the best unless you want to go all out and do all the shows.. There is a lot of stodge in Disney so you can feel like you haven't seen a vegetable and if you do get like that my advice is to go for a buffet meal then as you do tend to get a better selection.

I hope you have a wonderful time.
Cheyenne 1998
Cheyenne 2013
Cheyenne 2014
Cheyenne 2015
Disneyland Hotel 2017 (Feb)
Disneyland Hotel 2017 (Oct)
Disneyland Hotel 2018

Waiting for... ****Disneyland Hotel 2021****

samuelvictor

Quote1) Is there a bath tub or is it just a shower? (We've made it a tradition to take a bathbomb with us on trips to use in the tub since we don't have a bath.)
Yes, when I stayed in the Cheyenne a couple years ago there was a bath and a shower combined. 100% sure on this, we have photos.

Quote2) Is there a fridge in the room? (We want to take drinks and something to eat with us, so it would be nice if we could put that in the fridge, right?)
Unfortunately not, but we found that you can get free ice every day from the laundrette at the Cheyenne (don't know why there's an ice machine there!) and put it in the sink to keep stuff like milk, cheese etc fresh - you can put food in a carrier bag in the ice...

Quote3) Are there facilities to make coffee or tea in the room?
The rooms aren't supposed to come with a kettle, there is a surcharge to borrow one. In practice, during half our stays there has been one left in there by accident. However we usually take a £10 travel kettle with us (better value than renting one). You can get tea or coffee there, but I'd be inclined just to pack a jar of cofee and some teabags - doesn't take up much space in a suitcase (we actually put them inside the travel kettle lol), and much cheaper.

Quote4) Is there a safe in the room? You know, to store my camera in on days I don't want to be carrying that around?
Yes. Its big enough to fit an average laptop & camera plus passports, wallets, DS/PSP etc.

Quote5) Is it okay to bring lunch and snacks into the park? Like... Bring a backpack and stuff it with sandwiches and drinks etc? I've read that they check your backs at the entrance of the park and toss your food and drinks and I wouldn't want that, although with the now much needed security, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
The last time we went was in January 2015, and we've been many times before that. Every trip that we've had we've had snacks and drinks in rucksacks and been fine. Infact, many people staying at the Cheyenne and Santa Fe (usually on a budget) sneak rolls, cheese fruit etc away from breakfast and eat them in the parks. Its not technically allowed but you see hundreds of people doing it with seemingly no repercussions. Yes, they check all bags, but they were fine with food and drinks in there. Security may have been raised because of recent issues, but I've not heard of anyone having their stuff thrown away.

Quote6) I'm a fussy eater, are there restaurants to eat normal food that are not too expensive?
Not sure what you definte as "normal" food, but there are plenty of affordable places in Disney Village, I'd recomend Annettes (Burgers & Fries), Billy Bobs, Earl of Sandwich, McDonalds, Star Bucks...

QuoteWhat do you recommend we do when it rains? I hope it won't rain during the 5 days we go, but there's quite a big chance it will....
Frankly, pretty much exactly what you do when its not raining! Most queuing areas etc are covered and all rides and the majority of shows are inside. DLP was designed for French weather after all. Only advice would be maybe to bring an umbrella or waterproof coat (or use one of the free/cheap plastic ponchos they have there) and to not wear canvas shoes! ;) Rain doesn't spoil Disneyland Paris, its still beautiful and the atmosphere there is always happy no matter the weather :)

I'm sure you'll have a great time - DLP is fab and the Cheyenne is a really fun hotel. My only 2 recomendations are:
1) Get to breakfast dead on 7am when it opens. By 8am its a bit of a free for all! Plus by starting early you can make the best of your extra magic hours :)
2) Its quite a nice walk from the parks to the hotel, all flat and doesn't take long - the shuttle buses can be rather crowded and full of young (loud) kids. Great to see them happy, but not always great to have them climbing all over you ;)

dlpowl

I second the advice to walk to the parks.  By the time you've waited for the shuttle bus you can have walked there.  It's a lovely walk and only takes a few minutes.  I also find its a lovely stress free way to start the day rather than battling with the hustle and bustle (and pushing and shoving!) of the bus!  The walk also wakes you up a bit because Disney is a tiring holiday and the early mornings can be a bit tough but we find once we've had that walk to the park, we are all bright eyed and ready to go!

rocker

Quote from: Pamela on August 18, 2016, 09:23:40 PM
Also, something that I've been thinking (I won't lie to you; I've been stressing about it...) about: What do you recommend we do when it rains? I hope it won't rain during the 5 days we go, but there's quite a big chance it will....

Apart from the obvious advice about having a mac etc in your rucksack.  I have three recommendations...
1) If it is predicted to be rainy, go to Hollywood Studios that day as there is more indoor/covered stuff to do.  There are several shows to check out Cinemagique/Mickey in the Anamagique theatre & Stunt Car Show for sure as they are good plus many of the rides (& their queues) are indoors/covered also - Ratatouille, Crush, Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, Hollywood Tower spring to mind.  Plus HS is smaller, so you'll be doing less walking in the rain between rides also. 

2) Having done Hollywood Studios, get yourself over to the main park & make sure you see Dreams at closing time.  I saw it in the rain once & the lazers shimmering in the rain looked great.

3) If it's really REALLY raining & you fancy a day out of the parks, you could always pop to Val d'Europe Shopping Centre & go to the Sea Life Centre there, get a meal in the food court & even do some shopping.

Pamela

Thank you all so much for the tips!

I've looked at every menu of every restaurant and I've looked up pictures so now I've made a list of restaurants we can eat at. Some people might see me as being obsessive, I'd like to think of myself as well-prepared. Oh well...

I'm already buying ponchos in bulk, so I can have one for each of us for everyday we get there. Plus some spare. I mean... You never know! Also, I usually find that a poncho comes in very handy to cover up your bags/purses/cameras with when it rains and you're wearing an umbrella. There a tip from me, to pay back! ;)

I'm so excited. We've looked into planning the trip some more last weekend and I can't wait to go. We've discussed going to that Buffalo Wild West show and we're definitely doing that.

Great tip on the ice-filled laundrette! I was sort of thinking of doing that, but I wasn't sure on where to get my ice from. But now I do! Thanks!

Also, good tips on walking to the parks. The website states it's a 20 min walk to the parcs, something I wouldn't mind too much on the first few days, but after a couple of days I'll want to give my feet as much rest as possible, to be able to still walk the parks. And since we'll be going in november, the morning chill will wake me right up after a 7 am breakfast! (great tip too!)

I think you've all answered my questions! Thanks a lot!

(Oh, btw for Dutch users: I've looked at the UK-website for booking and booking through the UK-website would have saved me around €100! Might be something worth looking into!)