Space Mountain - is it better now?

Started by dlpowl, July 13, 2016, 06:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlpowl

The last time I rode Space Mountain Mission 2, I came off with the most horrendous headache from my head being bashed around like I've never before experienced on a ride and I swore I'd never ride it again.  However, it underwent a big refurb last year and one of the rumours at the time was that it was getting new trains with some kind of suspension on that would make it a smoother ride.  So I'm just wanting to know if that happened and ask those who have ridden it recently, how was it?  Was it better than it used to be?  Has the refurb made it a more comfortable ride? 

msRavenswood

The new trains are rumoured to be installed during the next refurbishment in 2017.

dlpowl

Oh boooo, I was hoping they'd been done already.

Does anybody know if the refurb last year did smooth the ride in any way at all?  I love rides but last time really really upset me.  I was in the back row which is obviously the worst place but it was so bad I was on the verge of tears when I came off and I've been riding coasters all my life, I grew up opposite a theme park, so it takes a lot to bother me where rides are concerned.

The last time I rode Space Mountain was 2011 hence why I'm trying to find out if it's any different now.

A&S&O

The "refurb" last year produced no noticeable difference - in ride comfort, effects etc. All they seemed to do was paint the canon and the lower part of the roof (which already looks in worse condition than before the work).

The castle was fully repainted not so long ago, and they're having to do it again.

The drawbridge was refurbed too, but that is looking tired already.

The paddle steamer lasted around a year before vegetation started growing out of it again.

Not sure if wrong paint / materials are being used or if the process is wrong.

Bit worried that all the current / recent refurbs won't last long enough to see the 25th anniversary out.

Don't get me started on Fantasia Gardens...!
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

dlpowl

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good! 

I'll be giving Space Mountain a miss then!

Main Street station is looking beautiful now, I saw some photos the other day but as you say, refurbishments need to be durable not just look good at first.  Fingers crossed they get it all right.

samuelvictor

I think the problem is that the weather and climate in Paris is significantly different to the American, Hong Kong and Japanese parks, so they are learning as they go along. Definitely seems like some more weather-proof paint and varnishes need to be developed to stop them having to re-paint everything every couple of years... I read a thing with an imagineer being interviewed about the issues they've had weith the two paddlesteamers and they essentially said as much. Combination of more rain, longer periods of damp, and extremes of hot and cold weathers were all things that throw their usual methods out slightly and cause cracks and peeling, which obviously exposes the wood and fiberglass structures to become mouldy or rotten.  :'( Its a shame, as DLP is one of the most beautiful and well designed parks  :)

A&S&O

After almost 25 years, you'd think they'd have sussed out what materials to use.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

samuelvictor

I agree, it does seem to be a recurring problem, which is a shame. It must be harder than it seems, unfortunately.

Thaliel

Quote from: msRavenswood on July 13, 2016, 08:20:21 PM
The new trains are rumoured to be installed during the next refurbishment in 2017.

hoping this is finally true, it has been talked about for so long already.

What I also noticed was that there was a huge bit of paint missing inside space mounatain waiting are on one wall. Looked like someone aggressively kicked said wall.
Also, I noticed ´that the inside of the dome gets pretty stuffy and warm. And that was in March, I really don't wanna know how it feels right now with the temperatures being above 30C very often. I guess nobody really thought if a good ventilation system when the mountain was constructed
<-Plz click