Cheaper - Eurostar or flying?

Started by stormflm595, July 06, 2016, 06:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormflm595

Quote from: rocker on July 12, 2016, 01:01:23 PMGood choice.  Make use of the left luggage at the park & you can be through the park gates 15 minutes after stepping off the train  :)

I cannot wait to just get there and not have to wait for transfers at the airport :D
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

daddyof2

Quote from: stormflm595 on July 12, 2016, 01:07:09 PM
Quote from: daddyof2 on July 12, 2016, 12:01:01 PM
If you're driving, isn't ebbsfleet more convenient? Be mindful of the return journey too, as a painless/stress free return journey is almost as important as getting there

It depends where we decide to catch it from. if we go for Central London, we'll just get the train from Sheffield the day before and day after, using one of those small hotels right by the train stations as a stop before another longish journey :) If we go by Ashford we'd probably just drive to the Travelodge in Ashford and stay over before jumping on. We'll probably end up staying in CL to be honest as it means we can get there early on the Sunday and maybe do a bit of London sightseeing for the day!

Totally understandable, I actually work on the railway so I appreciate not everyone likes using it as much closer as I do. St Pancras is a lovely station, and travelling round the capital (outside of rush hours) is so easy

samuelvictor

Quote from: rocker on July 12, 2016, 01:01:23 PM
Make use of the left luggage at the park & you can be through the park gates 15 minutes after stepping off the train  :)

This. The luggage service is great and its so cool to get off the train and go straight to the parks :)

Bevs97

We have decided to drive (from Newcastle) to Ebbsfleet and then get the indirect  Eurostar.
The indirect Eurostar was very cheap, and we were able to get a cheap Premier Inn nearby for the night before.

I did see some cheap flights from Leeds but the dates didn't work for us,   but I would also look at Leeds flights as an option.

Uptongirl

I've used the eurostar a few times. We are also from sheffield so if we have the early eurostar we stay at a travelodge round the corner the night before but the most recent trip we decided to try and save some money so got the euro star at about 2 ish with a easy change at lille. We also got a railcard meaning that we paid £60 pounds for our train to Sheffield then to London and back. Not bad at all. The upside of changing trains (4 eachway) is it's so much cheaper as well as great for doing it to your times e.g. get to London and have time for lunch before your next train that kind of thing. The downside is if a train is delayed it has a knock on effect. Our first train was delayed and although we got the next one at lille by the time we got to London we had missed the last train home. Gutting at the time but eurostar staff got us a room at a posh hotel and breakfast the next morning and could then get any train we wanted the next day to get us home. Even got an upgraded room for not going off our heads at them.
So long story short of go with eurostar 😉

stormflm595

Quote from: Uptongirl on July 18, 2016, 09:11:24 PM
I've used the eurostar a few times. We are also from sheffield so if we have the early eurostar we stay at a travelodge round the corner the night before but the most recent trip we decided to try and save some money so got the euro star at about 2 ish with a easy change at lille. We also got a railcard meaning that we paid £60 pounds for our train to Sheffield then to London and back. Not bad at all. The upside of changing trains (4 eachway) is it's so much cheaper as well as great for doing it to your times e.g. get to London and have time for lunch before your next train that kind of thing. The downside is if a train is delayed it has a knock on effect. Our first train was delayed and although we got the next one at lille by the time we got to London we had missed the last train home. Gutting at the time but eurostar staff got us a room at a posh hotel and breakfast the next morning and could then get any train we wanted the next day to get us home. Even got an upgraded room for not going off our heads at them.
So long story short of go with eurostar 😉

Oh that's really lucky! I always think that being polite and courteous with staff trying to help you goes a long way. I don't understand people who yell at them when they're doing their job and 99% of the time it's never even anything to do with them!
I definitely think we're going to do Eurostar then, most likely from London so we can get trains rather than having to drive. Worst thing abut living in Sheffield is you're practically in the middle of the country so it's either expensive to train it or takes forever to drive haha!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort