Extra Magic Hours The Studios Park

Started by magicmum, June 25, 2016, 03:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicmum

Hi all,

New to the forum & in need of some advice!
I've booked a return visit to DLP with my family Jan 2017 (2nd - 6th). Looking back at EMH, it would seem there's a possibility that it will be The Studios that is open rather than the traditional park.

My 3 yr old daughter has autism & is obsessed with Mickey, Goofy & Donald. I have bought photopass so I can capture the special moment that she meets her idols! However, I'm not sure if the characters are going to be there for EMH as this isn't their usual park!

Does anyone know if the EMH meet & greets still take place in The Studios??

Any help much appreciated!!

caspdex

Only ever seen them in the summer, or early Nov when they are decorating the main park for Christmas.

polar vixen

Mickey can still be met at his ' house' otherwise maybe a character meal or breakfast? when we were at cafe Mickeyw were poor in a booth with a curved back which worked out well because my boys were then shielded from seeing anything behind them and had quite a narrow range of sight so they weren't to overwhelmed

Slimy yet satisfying

Dont worry. We went Jan this year and yes characters were out and about during EMH. One day it was heavy rain so they moved them inside and had them dotted around the "mall" food court area. We are back again from 28th Dec to 4th Jan so will expect it to be the same again
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

dlpowl

Hi there,

Are you hoping to meet characters during early magic hours to try and avoid the crowds and queues due to your daughters condition?  Because if crowds and queues are a problem for her then take a diagnosis letter for your daughters autism (or get your consultant to write one) then you will be eligible for a priority access pass which I believe can be used in the meet Mickey pavilion and the princess pavilion, as well as on the rides, which basically means that your daughter won't have to queue for anywhere near as long as everyone else.  And if there are characters roaming in the park then if you get the attention of the cast member who is accompanying them, show them your pass, then they will create some space and hold back the crowd a little while your daughter has her interaction with the character.  Disney are very good at accommodating children with additional needs, as long as you take a letter explaining her condition and (more importantly) how it affects her (ie troubled by crowds etc).

As for what characters are where, I can't help you with that as it may have changed by January.  Getting the priority pass for your daughter would mean that you'd get to meet the characters anyway, at any time of the day, as the cast members will assist you.  Hope that helps.

magicmum

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Yes part of the reason was definitely crowds - we did Princess pavilion last time we went and it was a nightmare!!
Thank you for the advice on priority pass - I will definitely take paperwork for my daughter - this will be an unbelievable help.

I'm hoping to book Café Mickey - wonderful idea about the booth - will ask to reserve one of these.

We've got the standard plus meal plan, and I was hoping to use 2 of these meal vouchers to cover the cost of Inventions lunch meal (as this will be another place to see characters). I know it's slightly off-topic but do you know if this is possible?? I know you ordinarily need premium vouchers, but surely the value of two plus vouchers equates to the same value??

Vikkilou

You can't use more than one voucher at a time for inventions am afraid
Santa fe may 15
Cheyenne sept 16
Sequoia sept 17

magicmum

Quote from: Vikkilou on June 25, 2016, 09:24:34 PM
You can't use more than one voucher at a time for inventions am afraid

Oh well! Worth a try!

dlpowl

Yes, as Vikki says, it's just one voucher per person so you'll have to pay the difference in full for Inventions.  I haven't been so I can't say how good it is, although I have heard good things, but if it's just to meet characters then from what I've heard - although please correct me someone if I'm wrong - the main characters you get in Inventions are just your basic Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald etc, which can all be met in the parks using your priority access pass. 

For the pass, as I said before, you need an official letter (on NHS letterhead) from a consultant/GP stating your daughters condition and how it affects her (ergo why you need a priority pass for her) and it needs to be dated within the last 3 months, it can't be an old letter.  It also needs to be an original not a photocopy.  You get the pass from City Hall, just inside the gates of Disneyland Park, and the pass covers your daughter and up to 4 other people.  If you want to use it on a ride, just go to the cast member at the attraction and they will show you where to go.  Sometimes it's up the exit and straight onto the ride, sometimes it's the fast pass queue.  Either way it's quicker and much less stressful for a child with autism.  Hope you have a wonderful trip!

daddyof2

Remember you can still use your vouchers at inventions, but you'd need to "top up" with Cash/cards

polar vixen

Definitely get a easy access card!!! There's no way we could survive a trip without one. You also get special reserved address for disabled although this will only allow one career in but sometimes you get more lenient cast members.
Inventions is great but always try to mention to the cat member who accompanied there characters about your daughter's autism-sometimes characters can be very playful which is lovely but doesn't always go down well. We did the Neverland brunch and Minnie wasnt good with my son at all but I was able to explain to Peter pan who just sat at the table and talked over my son's shoulder. So I got a photo of him looking down at the table smiling. Best character ever. Spiderman had also always been fantastic

magicmum

Quote from: daddyof2 on June 25, 2016, 10:08:16 PM
Remember you can still use your vouchers at inventions, but you'd need to "top up" with Cash/cards

Thanks for the info - I will definitely do this. We went to Alton Towers recently and they do a similar sort of system there. Despite the special pass we still only managed 4 rides before my daughter had 'had enough', it was such a blessing. I can imagine Disney being similar now she's walking and her ASD is more of a concern (she was just 14 months old last time and barely walking).

magicmum

Quote from: Slimy yet satisfying on June 25, 2016, 08:51:56 PM
Dont worry. We went Jan this year and yes characters were out and about during EMH. One day it was heavy rain so they moved them inside and had them dotted around the "mall" food court area. We are back again from 28th Dec to 4th Jan so will expect it to be the same again

Just out of interest Slimy Yet Satisfying, what were crowds like in Jan? We've been fortunate this year & my son isn't back at school till the 9th Jan so taking advantage!!

Slimy yet satisfying

Up to the 3rd/4th still quite busy especially at the weekend. After mid afternoon on the Sunday we saw a huge difference with locals taking kids home to get ready for school the next day...remember the park closes early in low season about 6/7pm I think.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

magicmum

Yes the early finish doesn't bother us - I will be ready for a rest I am sure!! Thanks.