Disney w/ a one year-old. Is it worth it?

Started by Sugaroo_, June 03, 2016, 04:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sugaroo_

Hello all! Opinions needed! I would really love to plan a trip to DLP for January 2017 with our daughter who will then be 15 months old. Is it worth it? For those who have been with children about that age, did you get a reaction? Did they enjoy themselves? Did things excite them? Did they enjoy the rides & shows? What was your experience? I'm not worried about feeding her or changing her plus she sleeps well in her pram so that's all fine. I also know we'll have to pace ourselves and adapt to her schedual. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want it to be fun for her and not just for us. Even now at 7 months she's really curious & aware and I think she'll just eat up the atmosphere there. Most of our friends tell us there's no point taking her as she'll have no recollection of it and to take her once she's 3, but there's no way I can stay Disney free for that long!  :-[ The way I see it it's creating memories as a family no matter what, even if she remembers it only through photographs. I would love to hear some of your experiences! Thanks!!
(P.S for those who will suggest to take her another time of year - weather wise - I know you're right, but December-January are the only months we can get off from work)
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

Zee79

I took my eldest who is now 13years old when she was 18months old & she loved it, she knew all the characters especially the princesses, shouted Belle's name & got a kiss blown to her, upset when Snow White didn't acknowledge her , too interested in her prince, but redeemed herself when she waved at her in another parade. The younger they are the more interaction there seemed to be from the characters in parades.
My youngest was 9 months old & was mesmerised by it all. My twin nieces were 10month old when we took them for the Christmas period & loved it. We went to see Santa, took them in Playhouse Disney & they certainly recognised those characters & songs. We stayed both on & off site.
Its up to you whether you think she is ready for Disney. People will always have an opinion. I personally don't think anyone is too young or too old. I always had a negative reaction when I said I was going away with my kids especially when they were babies. I was told a summer holiday is no good for young children, the weather is not right for them- errr don't they have children in hot countries? I actually found it easier because there was no wandering off, no I want all the time haha
I love looking back on these trips, the photos & videos we have of them, they actually make me cry sometimes because it was so magical & new & now I have a terrible teen & tween haha Both of mine still love Disney & I never regretted taking them when they were young. My two look at photos & memories do come back & now we have traditions thst we have to do when we return to Disney.

littlebitofpixiedust

My son was 18mnths on his first visit and he loved it! Many said he was to young what's the point he won't remember it ::)

I tell them I don't care he may not remember but like you say you'll have photographs and memories yourself. He was as good as gold Disney cater well for little ones and have designated baby centres in both parks with a microwave changing tables ect.

Also I'll add it was December on his first trip i wrapped him up warm and had hot chocolate/milk during the day to warm up. You'll have a wonderful time and posted above Disney is not ever too old or too young in my opinion either enjoy your planning and visit if you go. Obviously staying on-site will make things easier with a pram as you won't have to use shuttle buses but even if you stay of-site you will be fine!

Muminoz

I agree with all the above. We took our kids for the first time when they were 15m, 3&5. It was the week before Christmas and we wrapped them up warm, consumed much hot chocolate and had a magical time. The 15m was in awe much of the time but loved it. She is 10 now and the photos are so special.

paulscottrobson

Took my now 21 year old daughter to WDW Orlando when she was 18 months, and my 18 month old son to DLP at about 8 months. I think they both got something out of it, though the 18 month old more so. I should go for it.

Lavi

We visited Europa Park in Germany when our daughters were 11 yo, 8 yo and 15 month. The little one enjoyed a lot attractions like the Pirates, the London bus, the flight in the Icarus balloons, some of the stories and so on. In fact she enjoyed a lot of the attractions. While my husband and the elder 2 went to rides and the smallest one slept in her buggy, I used the time to stroll around the park with her in the buggy, relax, explore remote corners of the park, it was great.

I think it's pretty the same in DLP. There are a lot of rides that she can ride when she's not sleeping :), I think you'll have a great time. You will be able to enjoy a lot of rides as the whole family (like It's a small world, Storybook ride, Dumbo, Buzz and so on).

dlpowl

My middle child was 16 months old when he first went and my daughter was 14 months old and they both really really enjoyed it!  Obviously, not as much as they did when they were like 4 or 5 years old but they definitely enjoyed all the lights and sounds of the rides.  I'll never forget my daughters face when she went on Its A Small World!  She was smiling and clapping and jigging about - she loved it!

The age limit for most of the rides is 12 months so you can go on almost everything as a family, in the same cart, with your baby on your knee or in the middle, which is wonderful.  And if you want to go on the adult rides, don't forget that one of you goes through the queue and then you can just do 'baby switch' so the second parent doesn't have to queue again.  You need to ask the cast member at the entrance to each ride if you want to do baby switch as it works differently on different rides.

I would definitely say youll be fine to go - I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!

Magic_Liv

Definitely go, my parents first took me when I was 20 months and I'm now 20 years old. And whilst I don't necessarily remember that trip (maybe I would if I hadn't been plenty of times since?) We have some amazing video and pictures. Also as a family that goes regularly I love having pictures of me from such a young age at disney so I can really see how I've grown up! I think it's super important to remember if you determine what you do with a small child by whether they would remember it then you might as well stay at home all day every day! I say go for it your daughter will love it. :)

flickmcktur

On our first trip my daughter was almost 20 months and she loved it, we went as out son was just under 3 so they were both free. The first meet was sulley and she was petrified but when she saw the princess her face lit up. She got really excited to see them and they were so lovely with her took their time and made her feel really special. We have the cutest pic of her kissing minnies nose and he hug with stitch seemed to last forever. She remembers none of that trip now (shes 7) but she was totally free to take and me and my hubby remember it all.

Sugaroo_

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I think it's going to be magical too. We love it there so much, it will be extra special having her with us. Paris & DLP was our first trip together as a couple, the first stop on our honeymoon, on our last trip she was just a little bean in my tummy and now we can go as a family. Some people are just really wary about travelling with children. Everytime I bring it up I'm so excited and then people rain on my parade telling me I'm just going to tire her and what a hassle it's going to be. Anyhoo, I shall ignore!

Quote from: Magic_Liv on June 05, 2016, 03:21:00 AM
I think it's super important to remember if you determine what you do with a small child by whether they would remember it then you might as well stay at home all day every day!
I never thought about it that way, this is so true!

Quote from: dlpowl on June 05, 2016, 12:38:49 AM
I'll never forget my daughters face when she went on Its A Small World!  She was smiling and clapping and jigging about - she loved it!
This! I'd probably cry :'(

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. If anyone has anything else to add keep it coming. A nice quiet spot to feed her or take a break? (besides the baby centers) I've been eyeing Newport Bay, but if any of you have stayed at an onsite hotel and felt it was especially accomodating for babies let me know!  :-*
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

twentythingamabobs

Hi!

You'll have a lovely time, so what if she can't remember anything about it, you will! and you will have lovely photos to be able to show her when she's grown!  :D

As for quiet places, there's nothing to stop you going in the Disneyland Hotel, plenty of places in the reception or around the corridors (next to a window for a nice view :) ) for a quiet sit down and to feed her.