Lousy, lousy food in DLRP :(

Started by Mtlchuck, April 20, 2016, 12:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stifle

Quote from: nathalie on April 20, 2016, 09:50:09 PM
Agree on those legs.  I feel that's a typical US thing.
And you're still in France in the end.

I feel food is "the same" at basically every amusement park.
I've yet to come across an amusement park, or a zoo, that serves "perfectly" good food, and warm at all times.
I think DLRP does do that and its food options are way better than say Thorpe Park or Alton Towers – and priced to match. I'm talking the top buffets like Inventions and Parkside Diner, and the table service places like Walt's – an American Restaurant. Counter service is a different matter, though gems like Restaurant Hakuna Matata provide the exception.

Ohana

I personally have no interest in a turkey leg, but that said I can't eat meat off the bone. I'm sure my boyfriend would go mental if they offered them though, he'd love it haha.

I'd quite like to try a dole whip but I can't imagine they'd be so popular in the colder months, at least the ones in the states pretty much always have hot weather, and maybe that's why.

More Mickey shaped food wouldn't go amiss though, and the film themed containers. Cali got bb-8 themed sippy cups when Star Wars was out! I do feel that Paris gets forgotten as a park on the whole and we never get the new kooky stuff that the US parks get. But I still love it with all my heart :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

twentythingamabobs

It is ALWAYS the right time for a Dole Whip float  ;D and those BB8 cups were one of my favourite things about DLR, they were sooo cute! Didn't think much of the burgers from the counter service next to Hyper Space Mountain though, way worse than anything i've ever had at DLP!

Puffin

I never had a Dole Whip and I didn't even know what it was. Guess I have to try one on our upcoming WDW trip as everybody is raving about it.  :D
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

Mtlchuck

I read rumours somewhere that the Dole Whip might be coming to DLRP. It is delicious, not too sweet, and most importatnly, lactose free :D.

Also I loveeee the turkey legs, although learning that they are close to 1000 calories was quite a shock. How can a turkey leg be so caloric! Leave it to the americans to find a way to calorize food  :P

nathalie

I thought white meat was better for you? lol (or I am wrong that Turkey isn't white meat, like chicken is? hehe)

I went to WDW, I didn't care for the dole whip, maybe if they use strawberry flavour?  ;D

rebecca20

Having been to the Aulani resort where Dole Whip is literally on tap - I also visited the Dole plantation where they have the exact same thing. I'm just not a fan. It's nice and refreshing yes, but I don't see the hype.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

nathalie

Me neither really, but besides the Fanta, I despise anything with pineapple in it.

Mtlchuck

Quote from: nathalie on April 21, 2016, 11:48:04 AM
I thought white meat was better for you? lol (or I am wrong that Turkey isn't white meat, like chicken is? hehe)

I went to WDW, I didn't care for the dole whip, maybe if they use strawberry flavour?  ;D

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/disney-smoked-turkey-leg-38218796

It has a whopping 1,093 calories per leg!!!  :o

c3po

I completely understand you, Mtlchuck. I don't understand the raves that most of the restaurants get on the different forums. I've had two or three really good food experiences, some OK ones, and quite a few below average ones.

It is true that your chances of having a good meal increase if you go for the high end places, but I'm one of the minority who doesn't enjoy Blue Lagoon. I like fish and seafood, but I don't like how they compose their meals. I see that several people have recommended Annette's to you. I wouldn't. I've been there twice, and found it very basic, and not worth the price. The menu is just typical diner food, which you can find anywhere.

But you have to certainly lower your expectations at DLP. It's an amusement park, after all. And its not WDW. The safest bet for me is the buffets. At least there I can look at the food, and see what is worth eating. And with lower expectations, I'm not disappointed as often anymore.

The restaurants I've been happy with are Hunter's Grill (ate there twice in the same week), Auberge de Cendrillon (but the price puts me off returning), Walts (several years since I visited), Plaza Gardens, Blockbuster Cafe, the Silver Spur Steakhouse and Inventions (but again very pricy). Cafe Chez Remy was OK, but not a success for my kids.
[size=85]1972 - Disneyland; 1974 - WDW; 1988 - Disneyland; 1996 - Disneyland; 1998 - Disneyland; 2000 - Disneyland; 2003 - WDW (Coronado Springs & Grosvenor Resort); 2009 - DLP (Newport Bay Club); October 2010 - DLP (Sequoia Lodge); October 2014 (Disneyland Hotel); September 2015 (Sequoia Lodge); March 2017 (Sequoia Lodge GF)

nathalie

Plaza very recently changed a lot of the food and deserts.
When I went last month, this is usually the high light of my eating experience, but since they changed so much, and got rid of most things I loved eating there, I won't be going back.

rebecca20

I also find buffet food way too cold - I've visited both the top end and bottom end and just don't like buffets in DLP.

Everyone has different tastes in food but I honestly don't think it's that bad in DLP. I mean it's a theme park - you're not visiting for a fancy dining experience!
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Mtlchuck

Quote from: rebecca20 on April 22, 2016, 01:51:05 PM
I also find buffet food way too cold - I've visited both the top end and bottom end and just don't like buffets in DLP.

Everyone has different tastes in food but I honestly don't think it's that bad in DLP. I mean it's a theme park - you're not visiting for a fancy dining experience!

Therefore they shouldnt be charging for one either ;)

also dont take this as DLRP bashing! I love the resort, I just really wish for better food rather than hit-or-miss experiences!

Disney Matt

I can't say i've ever had a bad food experience at Disney. Sometimes service is slow because its so busy but the food has always been good to me  :)

And i'll also say that i've eaten at counter service & high end (i.e Auberge).
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: rebecca20 on April 22, 2016, 01:51:05 PM
I think Chef Remy would disagree with you there. ;)