Space Mountain closing for refurb June 20th?

Started by Sniffsnaff, March 24, 2016, 09:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sniffsnaff

Hello,

I am just looking at the refurbishment calendar and I see apparently SM is closing June 20th. This wasn't listed anywhere before and hasn't been announced, does anyone know why this is?
Thanks.

Karen101

Where did you see that listed??

I only have it closing from January 2017 to March 2017.

Perhaps it is just a day closure for maintenance ?

Sniffsnaff

Quote from: Karen101 on March 24, 2016, 10:00:11 AM
Where did you see that listed??

Perhaps it is just a day closure for maintenance ?

I thought the same, but I looked at "park hours" of the official website ( http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/calendars/park-hours/ ) and it's listed as closed at least 20th-22nd (calendar isn't updated beyond that). Would be interesting to know why the closure, means they'll only have a couple of days for both this and RnRC to both be active.

stifle

I doubt they would close both parks' biggest rollercoasters at once without a very good reason...

rebecca20

♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

DisneyGagaChick

I've heard they are refurbishing the Cannon effect.  ???

Sugaroo_

Quote from: Karen101 on March 24, 2016, 10:00:11 AM

Yes this is what's posted on the official site! But it's very vague. I'm thinking there's no way they'd close SM from the beginning of the month, at least after Jan. 8th when the Christmas season is over. Is anyone aware of a more specific date? Also POTC says "early January". Any ideas there? Thanks.
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

dlpowl

According to the official DLP website, it's closed from now and is due to reopen on Saturday 2nd July.

This is the page I use, you can scroll forward day by day, see the park times and closures, and it goes 3 months ahead. http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/calendars/park-hours/2016-07-04/

Sugaroo_

Yup then it closes again January 2017. :( My logic is there's no way they'd close SM New Year's day. It must be open some days in the beginning of the month at least till the end of the Christmas season. I'm hoping we'll catch if we arrive on the 8th! Fingers crossed. 
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

dazzle_v2003

There are rumours just circulating this evening that Space Mountain will have a Star Wars Overlay for next year. So I imagine the refurb closure from January 2017 to March 2017 is to tie it in with this overlay taking place. We don't know what is happening to the ride if it's just interior or exterior etc but with Star Wars 2 opening in April then I think Space Mountain will reopen at the same time.

Zee79

I hope it isn't a star wars overlay, it should be kept as mountain. My hubby is a huge star wars fan & he wasn't keen on this idea, he can't wait for star wars to reopen though.