Mickey and the Magician - new show replaces Animagique

Started by MickeyAteMyCap, March 18, 2016, 09:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsupanders

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on July 23, 2016, 07:31:23 PM
Quote from: RefusingToGrowUp on July 22, 2016, 07:59:41 PM
But.... the park is in France? If it was in the UK then yeah, an all-English production is standard. I don't really like the idea of us Brits going over and demanding they cater to us, when a dual-language show works fine, especially when the majority is in English anyways? And like a few others have said, if they had to do an all English show, it would only be fair to do one in virtually every other commonly spoken European language. Considering the amount of effort a show like this takes to put on, I think asking for like 5 productions a day is a bit much.
English isn't just spoken by those of us in the UK too though. It is the most widely recognised language.

By that logic it should be in Chinese and Spanish before English, as those have more speakers than English.

dazzle_v2003

Having Dual language performances doesn't work unfortunately as it would cost too much money having multiple casts and also you would have to put on too many shows. Plus the idea of these shows is to eat up a loads of guests so there isn't long queues around WDS. I think the show is so well done you could still really enjoyed without understanding the French or English. 

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: whatsupanders on July 24, 2016, 06:34:36 PM
But.... the park is in France? If it was in the UK then yeah, an all-English production is standard. I don't really like the idea of us Brits going over and demanding they cater to us, when a dual-language show works fine, especially when the majority is in English anyways? And like a few others have said, if they had to do an all English show, it would only be fair to do one in virtually every other commonly spoken European language. Considering the amount of effort a show like this takes to put on, I think asking for like 5 productions a day is a bit much.
English isn't just spoken by those of us in the UK too though. It is the most widely recognised language.

By that logic it should be in Chinese and Spanish before English, as those have more speakers than English.
The UK is closer to France than China or Spain.

polar vixen

ummmm....doesn't France actually share a border with Spain?  as In without water in between it?

RefusingToGrowUp

To be honest, I'm struggling to see your reasoning here, you seem to just be saying "English is spoken a lot so it should be in English" - maybe it's one of the most widely recognised languages, I don't doubt that, but for one, the park is in France, where most people speak French. Furthermore, I think you may forget that Disney is a children-focused company, Disneyland is aimed primarily at children. How many French children do you expect have a decent grasp of English? Not to mention the fact that it would take a ridiculous amount of time and effort to orchestrate enough shows in one language.

I think we should be thankful we have what we've already got - an awful lot of DLP caters to English-speakers, when really they have no obligation too. Most of Dreams! is in English, Cinemagique is largely in English, ad mo - we do really well. Having dual language shows is totally awesome, it reminds you that you're on holiday, you're in France, not just Disneyland and there's the added bonus of learning a little bit of French along the way!  :D

samuelvictor

Quote from: polar vixen on July 25, 2016, 10:38:31 AM
ummmm....doesn't France actually share a border with Spain?  as In without water in between it?
Lol I was just about to say exactly that!  ::)

Quote from: RefusingToGrowUp on July 25, 2016, 10:43:21 AM
Having dual language shows is totally awesome, it reminds you that you're on holiday, you're in France, not just Disneyland and there's the added bonus of learning a little bit of French along the way!  :D
Couldn't agree more. Part of the fun of being in Disneyland Paris is watching kids tv in French & shopping in French, slowly picking it all up. It really isn't rocket science as all the stuff in DLP is aimed to be understandable by small children. You hardly need a degree in modern languages  :-[

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: samuelvictor on July 26, 2016, 02:36:50 PM

Having dual language shows is totally awesome, it reminds you that you're on holiday, you're in France, not just Disneyland and there's the added bonus of learning a little bit of French along the way!  :D
Couldn't agree more. Part of the fun of being in Disneyland Paris is watching kids tv in French & shopping in French, slowly picking it all up. It really isn't rocket science as all the stuff in DLP is aimed to be understandable by small children. You hardly need a degree in modern languages  :-[
From the video it looks like you need at least GCSE French skills.

samuelvictor

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on July 26, 2016, 03:38:25 PM
Having two kids who are currently doing GCSE's in several languages, there is no comparisson. My comparision with kids shows is apt. Get a "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" or "Sheriff Callie's Wild West" DVD and switch the language to French - "La Maison de Mickey" and "Sheriff Callie Au Far West" are great fun to watch  8)

Zee79

Just watched this show today & it's amazing. The language barrier didn't stop my enjoyment because it's only mickey & he spoke French in animagique. It's great the way it is.

samuelvictor

I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Looking forward to watching it myself in person soon  8)

RefusingToGrowUp

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on July 26, 2016, 03:38:25 PM
Quote from: samuelvictor on July 26, 2016, 02:36:50 PM

Okay, if you think so ;D I hope when you next go, you have a lovely trip, and you enjoy this show anyways - whatever language it is in - it looks amazing.

Bevs97

We saw this last week,  none of us speak French and I don't think it mattered at all.   There were some parts in English,  and the storyline is fairly easy to follow without understanding French.

I thought it was fabulous.

pjrea90

Does anyone think they'll extend the running of the show, or whether it'll only be back Summer-Winter? Anything on the grapevine?

NCC1701Q

I think they'll extend it - they invested a lot to put this show on stage (including literally building the stage).
Personally I reckon this could be a great show during the 25th next year. Add "Forest of Enchantment" in the Disneyland Park and DLP had two great shows with a lot of capacity!

pjrea90

I hope so, going in late Jan, with Pirates/Space Mountain closed, hoping this runs further + Big Thunder opens as scheduled!